Is this a tick?

Breed: german shepherd mix
So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures of the placement (with his ear flipped up) and a close up of the growth, have never seen anything like it.... it is grey and oval (vertical oval growing from the base of his ear edge).....I just noticed this evening and it couldn't have been there very long I would have noticed it before now it is so obvious...please advise!!

Thank you for this fantastic photo:

tick

While I can't give a diagnosis over the internet I can tell you that I am quite certain that you have taken a photo of a tick! That's probably not what you were expecting to hear.

Ticks can stay on a dog for quite some time. It looks like this tick is engorged meaning that it has been there for long enough to feed.

The obvious question is how to get a tick off. Whatever you do, don't pull on it. If you do so, usually what happens is that the tick's body will come off and the head will stay in place. If you have access to any flea/tick spray then spraying this on the tick will kill it and you can remove it. What I do in my office is use a little plastic tool called a tick twister. I put it underneath the tick, twist it around and then the tick just comes out.

It's not a bad idea to have your vet remove this tick. They can show you how to do it in case Badger gets any more of them.

You will want to ask your vet if lyme disease or any other tick borne diseases are prevalent in your area. If so, they may want to test for lyme disease in 4-6 weeks' time. However, the chances of getting lyme disease from a single tick bite are not high.

It's not a bad idea to have a good feel all around Badger's body to see if there are any more as well!

DR MARIE! NO I WAS NOT EXPECTING THAT! We did have a tick twister and took it off, I just HOPE that I got off the entire tick (I COULDN'T WAIT FOR THE VET!)..... I enclosed another pic (The tick is moving around, is it intact?).
DR MARIE, you are on point! when I read your response I thought NO WAY can this happen, I thought I was so diligent checking my dogs! We moved from a suburb in NC to more rural NH and these ticks are unbelievable here.....but I wanted to remain holistic....so I have been using Dr. Downey's BICOM tick drops (out of Exeter NH) in their water bowl and a wipe daily that is "Vetri-Science Vetri Repel active ingred. lemongrass oil, cinnamon oil, sesame oil, caster oil" Do you have any other suggestions? Neem Oil? Thank you Dr Marie, I appreciate the service you provide, you can't imagine the shock though of how right you are!

tick from dog

Oh yeah! You got it!

I've yet to see holistic flea or tick products that really work. The way that I look at it, if a natural product was able to kill or reliably repel fleas or ticks then we wouldn't need to be continually improving on and developing synthetic problems. Even the synthetic products often become ineffective after a few years because these creatures are so hard to take care of.

Don't forget to ask your vet about their protocols for lyme testing in your area.

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (8170 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (10884 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (34500 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (7037 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (12487 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (5470 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (18112 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (105874 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (4184 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9082 views)