Why did my puppy die?

Breed: Bichon x Cavalier ki

I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly very healthy, strong, 14 week old puppy, Louis, died as i'm finding not knowing why, very hard indeed. We were on the beach and he was running around really fast, like he always did, having fun and ran up to me. I was just about to give him a small treat, when he looked as though he was going to be sick, but I very quickly realised, he couldn't breathe. He hadn't picked up anything in his mouth, so I knew he wasn't choking on something and he had nothing in his mouth. There was no spluttering, no breath at all. After what seemed like forever, his little body finally went limp and blood started to come out of his mouth and he died. It was horrendous and I just can't understand why, he was not a weak puppy in any way; full of energy and confidence.

Do you have any idea what may have made him bleed so much that he couldn't breathe?

Kind Regards,

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that this happened.

It's possible that your little pup had something called an idiopathic thymic rupture. The thymus is an organ in the chest of young dogs. Although it is rare, it can occasionally suddenly rupture and cause a dog to bleed into his chest. We don't know what causes this and there is nothing that could have been done to prevent it.

The two other possibilities (that sound less likely) are if the dog had eaten rat poison, or if there was some type of trauma. But, neither of these seem likely.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5494 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (210780 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (39142 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (4629 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8263 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9336 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (35825 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (17274 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (16854 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (11037 views)