Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Why did my puppy die?

Species: Dog
Breed: Bichon x Cavalier ki
Age: 3-6 months
Hello,

I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly very healthy, strong, 14 week old puppy, Louis, died as i'm finding not knowing why, very hard indeed. We were on the beach and he was running around really fast, like he always did, having fun and ran up to me. I was just about to give him a small treat, when he looked as though he was going to be sick, but I very quickly realised, he couldn't breathe. He hadn't picked up anything in his mouth, so I knew he wasn't choking on something and he had nothing in his mouth. There was no spluttering, no breath at all. After what seemed like forever, his little body finally went limp and blood started to come out of his mouth and he died. It was horrendous and I just can't understand why, he was not a weak puppy in any way; full of energy and confidence.

Do you have any idea what may have made him bleed so much that he couldn't breathe?

Kind Regards,


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that this happened.

It's possible that your little pup had something called an idiopathic thymic rupture. The thymus is an organ in the chest of young dogs. Although it is rare, it can occasionally suddenly rupture and cause a dog to bleed into his chest. We don't know what causes this and there is nothing that could have been done to prevent it.

The two other possibilities (that sound less likely) are if the dog had eaten rat poison, or if there was some type of trauma. But, neither of these seem likely.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (6524 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (38484 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (8165 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (14932 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (17248 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (11287 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (9150 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (7294 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (6630 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (81740 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.