Why did my puppy die?

Breed: Bichon x Cavalier ki

I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly very healthy, strong, 14 week old puppy, Louis, died as i'm finding not knowing why, very hard indeed. We were on the beach and he was running around really fast, like he always did, having fun and ran up to me. I was just about to give him a small treat, when he looked as though he was going to be sick, but I very quickly realised, he couldn't breathe. He hadn't picked up anything in his mouth, so I knew he wasn't choking on something and he had nothing in his mouth. There was no spluttering, no breath at all. After what seemed like forever, his little body finally went limp and blood started to come out of his mouth and he died. It was horrendous and I just can't understand why, he was not a weak puppy in any way; full of energy and confidence.

Do you have any idea what may have made him bleed so much that he couldn't breathe?

Kind Regards,

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that this happened.

It's possible that your little pup had something called an idiopathic thymic rupture. The thymus is an organ in the chest of young dogs. Although it is rare, it can occasionally suddenly rupture and cause a dog to bleed into his chest. We don't know what causes this and there is nothing that could have been done to prevent it.

The two other possibilities (that sound less likely) are if the dog had eaten rat poison, or if there was some type of trauma. But, neither of these seem likely.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (12266 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (28111 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (29656 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (9366 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (9332 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (5350 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (52936 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (20938 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (18094 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (10816 views)