Why did my puppy die?

Breed: Bichon x Cavalier ki

I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly very healthy, strong, 14 week old puppy, Louis, died as i'm finding not knowing why, very hard indeed. We were on the beach and he was running around really fast, like he always did, having fun and ran up to me. I was just about to give him a small treat, when he looked as though he was going to be sick, but I very quickly realised, he couldn't breathe. He hadn't picked up anything in his mouth, so I knew he wasn't choking on something and he had nothing in his mouth. There was no spluttering, no breath at all. After what seemed like forever, his little body finally went limp and blood started to come out of his mouth and he died. It was horrendous and I just can't understand why, he was not a weak puppy in any way; full of energy and confidence.

Do you have any idea what may have made him bleed so much that he couldn't breathe?

Kind Regards,

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that this happened.

It's possible that your little pup had something called an idiopathic thymic rupture. The thymus is an organ in the chest of young dogs. Although it is rare, it can occasionally suddenly rupture and cause a dog to bleed into his chest. We don't know what causes this and there is nothing that could have been done to prevent it.

The two other possibilities (that sound less likely) are if the dog had eaten rat poison, or if there was some type of trauma. But, neither of these seem likely.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (9815 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (4711 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (9401 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (11014 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (16831 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (10396 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (24542 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (5168 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7303 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (26293 views)