Lump on dog's foot.

Breed: Boxer
Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed it about ten days ago and havent noticed any real change, but maybe a slight increase in size. It doesnt appear to be causing her any discomfort.

i have a pic i can email if it helps.

any thoughts?

kind regards

Hi there...I'd love to see a picture! You can send photos to photos@askavetquestion.com.

PIcture has been sent

Thanks for the photo!

lump on dog's foot

I can give you a few possible ideas as to what this can be. But, of course, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet.

Being a young dog, there is a good possibility that this is something called a histiocytoma. We don't know why dogs get these but they appear and then after a couple of months they go away. They are nothing to worry about and are not contagious.

Something that looks similar to a histiocytoma is a mast cell tumor. These are much more serious. If it is a mast cell tumor then it needs to be removed as soon as possible. The way your vet will tell the difference is to put a small needle into the mass (dogs tolerate this well) and draw some cells out to look at under the microscope.

It could also be a reaction to some type of foreign body like a sliver or a piece of glass. This is less likely though.

I have seen bee or insect stings look like this as well, but it shouldn't still be there after a week.

And finally, it could be a viral wart called a papilloma virus. It doesn't really look quite like this in the picture, but these are common in young dogs. They go away on their own in a few months.

My best guess is that this is a histiocytoma, but because of the risk of mast cell tumor I'd advise that you have him looked at soon.

thanks, i have an appointment with vets in 15mins to make sure, would you like to know how it goes?

I would love to! Please reply when your appointment is done.

Hope all goes well!

Vet couldnt rule anything out so she is going to get it cut out tomorrow morning, and i guess it will be sent away for testing. fingers crossed

Better to be safe than sorry, especially when it's on the foot. The larger it gets the harder it would be to remove.

Hope all is well.

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (9118 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (10544 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (70436 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (36646 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (11051 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (11604 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (6473 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (50182 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (17097 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (14036 views)