Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Lump on dog's foot.

Species: Dog
Breed: Boxer
Age: 1-2 years
Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed it about ten days ago and havent noticed any real change, but maybe a slight increase in size. It doesnt appear to be causing her any discomfort.

i have a pic i can email if it helps.


any thoughts?

kind regards



Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi there...I'd love to see a picture! You can send photos to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks!



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

PIcture has been sent


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks for the photo!

lump on dog's foot

I can give you a few possible ideas as to what this can be. But, of course, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet.

Being a young dog, there is a good possibility that this is something called a histiocytoma. We don't know why dogs get these but they appear and then after a couple of months they go away. They are nothing to worry about and are not contagious.

Something that looks similar to a histiocytoma is a mast cell tumor. These are much more serious. If it is a mast cell tumor then it needs to be removed as soon as possible. The way your vet will tell the difference is to put a small needle into the mass (dogs tolerate this well) and draw some cells out to look at under the microscope.

It could also be a reaction to some type of foreign body like a sliver or a piece of glass. This is less likely though.

I have seen bee or insect stings look like this as well, but it shouldn't still be there after a week.

And finally, it could be a viral wart called a papilloma virus. It doesn't really look quite like this in the picture, but these are common in young dogs. They go away on their own in a few months.

My best guess is that this is a histiocytoma, but because of the risk of mast cell tumor I'd advise that you have him looked at soon.

Hope all is well!

Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:

thanks, i have an appointment with vets in 15mins to make sure, would you like to know how it goes?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I would love to! Please reply when your appointment is done.

Hope all goes well!



Customer reply:

Vet couldnt rule anything out so she is going to get it cut out tomorrow morning, and i guess it will be sent away for testing. fingers crossed


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Better to be safe than sorry, especially when it's on the foot. The larger it gets the harder it would be to remove.

Hope all is well.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (16231 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (5501 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (9567 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (26726 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (18839 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (12635 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (15400 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (71449 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (9461 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (5940 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.