Lump on dog's foot.

Breed: Boxer
Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed it about ten days ago and havent noticed any real change, but maybe a slight increase in size. It doesnt appear to be causing her any discomfort.

i have a pic i can email if it helps.

any thoughts?

kind regards

Hi there...I'd love to see a picture! You can send photos to photos@askavetquestion.com.

PIcture has been sent

Thanks for the photo!

lump on dog's foot

I can give you a few possible ideas as to what this can be. But, of course, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet.

Being a young dog, there is a good possibility that this is something called a histiocytoma. We don't know why dogs get these but they appear and then after a couple of months they go away. They are nothing to worry about and are not contagious.

Something that looks similar to a histiocytoma is a mast cell tumor. These are much more serious. If it is a mast cell tumor then it needs to be removed as soon as possible. The way your vet will tell the difference is to put a small needle into the mass (dogs tolerate this well) and draw some cells out to look at under the microscope.

It could also be a reaction to some type of foreign body like a sliver or a piece of glass. This is less likely though.

I have seen bee or insect stings look like this as well, but it shouldn't still be there after a week.

And finally, it could be a viral wart called a papilloma virus. It doesn't really look quite like this in the picture, but these are common in young dogs. They go away on their own in a few months.

My best guess is that this is a histiocytoma, but because of the risk of mast cell tumor I'd advise that you have him looked at soon.

thanks, i have an appointment with vets in 15mins to make sure, would you like to know how it goes?

I would love to! Please reply when your appointment is done.

Hope all goes well!

Vet couldnt rule anything out so she is going to get it cut out tomorrow morning, and i guess it will be sent away for testing. fingers crossed

Better to be safe than sorry, especially when it's on the foot. The larger it gets the harder it would be to remove.

Hope all is well.

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (15851 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (9443 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (60018 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (9290 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12950 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (7111 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10712 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (8251 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (23660 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (4973 views)