Lump on dog's foot.

Breed: Boxer
Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed it about ten days ago and havent noticed any real change, but maybe a slight increase in size. It doesnt appear to be causing her any discomfort.

i have a pic i can email if it helps.

any thoughts?

kind regards

Hi there...I'd love to see a picture! You can send photos to photos@askavetquestion.com.

PIcture has been sent

Thanks for the photo!

lump on dog's foot

I can give you a few possible ideas as to what this can be. But, of course, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet.

Being a young dog, there is a good possibility that this is something called a histiocytoma. We don't know why dogs get these but they appear and then after a couple of months they go away. They are nothing to worry about and are not contagious.

Something that looks similar to a histiocytoma is a mast cell tumor. These are much more serious. If it is a mast cell tumor then it needs to be removed as soon as possible. The way your vet will tell the difference is to put a small needle into the mass (dogs tolerate this well) and draw some cells out to look at under the microscope.

It could also be a reaction to some type of foreign body like a sliver or a piece of glass. This is less likely though.

I have seen bee or insect stings look like this as well, but it shouldn't still be there after a week.

And finally, it could be a viral wart called a papilloma virus. It doesn't really look quite like this in the picture, but these are common in young dogs. They go away on their own in a few months.

My best guess is that this is a histiocytoma, but because of the risk of mast cell tumor I'd advise that you have him looked at soon.

thanks, i have an appointment with vets in 15mins to make sure, would you like to know how it goes?

I would love to! Please reply when your appointment is done.

Hope all goes well!

Vet couldnt rule anything out so she is going to get it cut out tomorrow morning, and i guess it will be sent away for testing. fingers crossed

Better to be safe than sorry, especially when it's on the foot. The larger it gets the harder it would be to remove.

Hope all is well.

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (4379 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (6726 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (286715 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (62132 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (5440 views)

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (12399 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (10239 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (10933 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6142 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (6663 views)