Time for euthanasia?

Breed: tabby
My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help him go the toilet due to constipation, I also think he suffers from kidney problems. 5 days ago he stopped eating/drinking. He went very thin and on several occasions I thought he had died. He just laid still all day sleeping. He also had slight mucus from one nostril with spots of blood. On the 6th day, he's started showing signs of wanting to eat and drink and seems to be getting better, although he does still sleep all day. When he walks he is quite wobbly (could be due to not eating), however he is now dragging his back right leg. He cannot stand on the ball of his foot properly and almost drags/limps on this leg. I'm now very confused as I was ready to have him euthanized, however now he's sitting by his food bowl waiting to be fed. I don't know what's happened to him and how he's managed to come back from what seemed to be the brink of death.

I'm sorry to hear that Sushi is unwell. I actually do have this situation happen quite often where an elderly cat is acting like it is time for euthanasia and then suddenly gets a spurt of energy that makes you second guess your decision. The way I look at it, cats have a huge desire to fight for life. They will do all they can to try to survive and this type of behavior is not uncommon.

The symptoms that you have described with Sushi sound serious. It does really sound like it is time for euthanasia. There are a number of possible reasons for his symptoms, but I can't think of anything that could be easily fixed.

The way I see it, you have two choices. The first would be to have your vet examine him and give their opinion. They would likely do some blood tests to see if they can determine the problem. The second would be euthanasia.

Even though Sushi has a bit of an appetite today I don't think it is fair to let him go on for much longer. It really does sound like he is very unwell.

I hope this helps with your decision making. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (7102 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (15627 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (11078 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (3941 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (16461 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (140505 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (5547 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (8574 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (37083 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (11900 views)