Time for euthanasia?

Breed: tabby
My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help him go the toilet due to constipation, I also think he suffers from kidney problems. 5 days ago he stopped eating/drinking. He went very thin and on several occasions I thought he had died. He just laid still all day sleeping. He also had slight mucus from one nostril with spots of blood. On the 6th day, he's started showing signs of wanting to eat and drink and seems to be getting better, although he does still sleep all day. When he walks he is quite wobbly (could be due to not eating), however he is now dragging his back right leg. He cannot stand on the ball of his foot properly and almost drags/limps on this leg. I'm now very confused as I was ready to have him euthanized, however now he's sitting by his food bowl waiting to be fed. I don't know what's happened to him and how he's managed to come back from what seemed to be the brink of death.

I'm sorry to hear that Sushi is unwell. I actually do have this situation happen quite often where an elderly cat is acting like it is time for euthanasia and then suddenly gets a spurt of energy that makes you second guess your decision. The way I look at it, cats have a huge desire to fight for life. They will do all they can to try to survive and this type of behavior is not uncommon.

The symptoms that you have described with Sushi sound serious. It does really sound like it is time for euthanasia. There are a number of possible reasons for his symptoms, but I can't think of anything that could be easily fixed.

The way I see it, you have two choices. The first would be to have your vet examine him and give their opinion. They would likely do some blood tests to see if they can determine the problem. The second would be euthanasia.

Even though Sushi has a bit of an appetite today I don't think it is fair to let him go on for much longer. It really does sound like he is very unwell.

I hope this helps with your decision making. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (8106 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (26765 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (7344 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (19362 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5603 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (12070 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9861 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (6069 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (17727 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (8183 views)