Time for euthanasia?

Breed: tabby
My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help him go the toilet due to constipation, I also think he suffers from kidney problems. 5 days ago he stopped eating/drinking. He went very thin and on several occasions I thought he had died. He just laid still all day sleeping. He also had slight mucus from one nostril with spots of blood. On the 6th day, he's started showing signs of wanting to eat and drink and seems to be getting better, although he does still sleep all day. When he walks he is quite wobbly (could be due to not eating), however he is now dragging his back right leg. He cannot stand on the ball of his foot properly and almost drags/limps on this leg. I'm now very confused as I was ready to have him euthanized, however now he's sitting by his food bowl waiting to be fed. I don't know what's happened to him and how he's managed to come back from what seemed to be the brink of death.

I'm sorry to hear that Sushi is unwell. I actually do have this situation happen quite often where an elderly cat is acting like it is time for euthanasia and then suddenly gets a spurt of energy that makes you second guess your decision. The way I look at it, cats have a huge desire to fight for life. They will do all they can to try to survive and this type of behavior is not uncommon.

The symptoms that you have described with Sushi sound serious. It does really sound like it is time for euthanasia. There are a number of possible reasons for his symptoms, but I can't think of anything that could be easily fixed.

The way I see it, you have two choices. The first would be to have your vet examine him and give their opinion. They would likely do some blood tests to see if they can determine the problem. The second would be euthanasia.

Even though Sushi has a bit of an appetite today I don't think it is fair to let him go on for much longer. It really does sound like he is very unwell.

I hope this helps with your decision making. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6331 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (7301 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (23074 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (4626 views)

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (15019 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (14513 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (5782 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (17075 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (21356 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (5706 views)