Time for euthanasia?

Breed: tabby
My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help him go the toilet due to constipation, I also think he suffers from kidney problems. 5 days ago he stopped eating/drinking. He went very thin and on several occasions I thought he had died. He just laid still all day sleeping. He also had slight mucus from one nostril with spots of blood. On the 6th day, he's started showing signs of wanting to eat and drink and seems to be getting better, although he does still sleep all day. When he walks he is quite wobbly (could be due to not eating), however he is now dragging his back right leg. He cannot stand on the ball of his foot properly and almost drags/limps on this leg. I'm now very confused as I was ready to have him euthanized, however now he's sitting by his food bowl waiting to be fed. I don't know what's happened to him and how he's managed to come back from what seemed to be the brink of death.

I'm sorry to hear that Sushi is unwell. I actually do have this situation happen quite often where an elderly cat is acting like it is time for euthanasia and then suddenly gets a spurt of energy that makes you second guess your decision. The way I look at it, cats have a huge desire to fight for life. They will do all they can to try to survive and this type of behavior is not uncommon.

The symptoms that you have described with Sushi sound serious. It does really sound like it is time for euthanasia. There are a number of possible reasons for his symptoms, but I can't think of anything that could be easily fixed.

The way I see it, you have two choices. The first would be to have your vet examine him and give their opinion. They would likely do some blood tests to see if they can determine the problem. The second would be euthanasia.

Even though Sushi has a bit of an appetite today I don't think it is fair to let him go on for much longer. It really does sound like he is very unwell.

I hope this helps with your decision making. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (15283 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (18493 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (8348 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (15257 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (17036 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7059 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (4498 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (8127 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (19680 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (14567 views)