Breeding big and small dogs.

Breed: rat terrier mix
My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke out) by my son's shiba inu mix male--weighs about 20-25lbs but is small for breed. My sister-who has only seen my dog and not his seems to think his puppies may be to big for her to carry/deliver safely. I have seen other dogs with greater size difference have puppies so I never thought about her having any trouble. Figure her to be 2-2 1/2wks along now. Do you think the size difference is too great for her to safely have them and if so how and when does one terminate a doggie pregnancy?
Thanks so much for your answer.

Hi and thanks for your question!

This is a tough one to answer. While there is a chance that Bitty can deliver these puppies on her own, there is a good possibility that she will end up having problems.

Here are a few suggestions for you. One option is to let her have the puppies but be prepared for a C-Section if necessary. This means being sure that there is an emergency vet available if she needs one. If she is in labor and actively pushing for more than 30-60 minutes and nothing is being produced then she will need a C-Section right away. If you decide to go this route then you need to make sure you have finances set aside. In most places a C-Section can run $1500 or more.

Another option is to have your vet take an xray when she is approximately 50 days pregnant. This will tell you how many pups are there and how large they are. If your vet feels they are too large then a C-Section can be preplanned.

If neither of these are good options for you, then it is possible to terminate the pregnancy. However, what we usually do to terminate a pregnancy is to spay the dog. Most vets will be willing to spay a dog who is pregnant. However, the price usually ends up being higher than a regular dog spay.

While there is a medical treatment that can abort the puppies it is not often done because it is risky, painful and expensive.

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (20790 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (38896 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (216501 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (34704 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (28411 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (10972 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (18365 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (12306 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (31218 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (15461 views)