Breeding big and small dogs.

Breed: rat terrier mix
My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke out) by my son's shiba inu mix male--weighs about 20-25lbs but is small for breed. My sister-who has only seen my dog and not his seems to think his puppies may be to big for her to carry/deliver safely. I have seen other dogs with greater size difference have puppies so I never thought about her having any trouble. Figure her to be 2-2 1/2wks along now. Do you think the size difference is too great for her to safely have them and if so how and when does one terminate a doggie pregnancy?
Thanks so much for your answer.

Hi and thanks for your question!

This is a tough one to answer. While there is a chance that Bitty can deliver these puppies on her own, there is a good possibility that she will end up having problems.

Here are a few suggestions for you. One option is to let her have the puppies but be prepared for a C-Section if necessary. This means being sure that there is an emergency vet available if she needs one. If she is in labor and actively pushing for more than 30-60 minutes and nothing is being produced then she will need a C-Section right away. If you decide to go this route then you need to make sure you have finances set aside. In most places a C-Section can run $1500 or more.

Another option is to have your vet take an xray when she is approximately 50 days pregnant. This will tell you how many pups are there and how large they are. If your vet feels they are too large then a C-Section can be preplanned.

If neither of these are good options for you, then it is possible to terminate the pregnancy. However, what we usually do to terminate a pregnancy is to spay the dog. Most vets will be willing to spay a dog who is pregnant. However, the price usually ends up being higher than a regular dog spay.

While there is a medical treatment that can abort the puppies it is not often done because it is risky, painful and expensive.

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (8828 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (4218 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (13372 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (10958 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (14950 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (4584 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (8523 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (15894 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (14284 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (10198 views)