Breeding big and small dogs.

Breed: rat terrier mix
My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke out) by my son's shiba inu mix male--weighs about 20-25lbs but is small for breed. My sister-who has only seen my dog and not his seems to think his puppies may be to big for her to carry/deliver safely. I have seen other dogs with greater size difference have puppies so I never thought about her having any trouble. Figure her to be 2-2 1/2wks along now. Do you think the size difference is too great for her to safely have them and if so how and when does one terminate a doggie pregnancy?
Thanks so much for your answer.

Hi and thanks for your question!

This is a tough one to answer. While there is a chance that Bitty can deliver these puppies on her own, there is a good possibility that she will end up having problems.

Here are a few suggestions for you. One option is to let her have the puppies but be prepared for a C-Section if necessary. This means being sure that there is an emergency vet available if she needs one. If she is in labor and actively pushing for more than 30-60 minutes and nothing is being produced then she will need a C-Section right away. If you decide to go this route then you need to make sure you have finances set aside. In most places a C-Section can run $1500 or more.

Another option is to have your vet take an xray when she is approximately 50 days pregnant. This will tell you how many pups are there and how large they are. If your vet feels they are too large then a C-Section can be preplanned.

If neither of these are good options for you, then it is possible to terminate the pregnancy. However, what we usually do to terminate a pregnancy is to spay the dog. Most vets will be willing to spay a dog who is pregnant. However, the price usually ends up being higher than a regular dog spay.

While there is a medical treatment that can abort the puppies it is not often done because it is risky, painful and expensive.

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (11222 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5222 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (49718 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (10171 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (10502 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (11490 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22650 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (21597 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (5833 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (12032 views)