What kind of dog to get?

Breed: kelpie
My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new one.What type of dog is good 4 a family of 6 that has a rabbit and cay?

I'm sorry to hear that Toby passed away.

This is a tough question to answer. When someone is looking for a new dog I always recommend a visit to the local humane society to see what kind of dogs are there. Usually the staff will be quite good at telling you if the dog gets along with other animals.

Likely you will want to stay away from a herding breed of dog as the rabbit and cat may get chased.

I wish I could give you more info, but this is a very personal choice.

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5103 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (9620 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (19880 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (5820 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (10357 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (11515 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (4506 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (12319 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (15739 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (6738 views)