Frontline and capstar but still has fleas.

Breed: domestic long hair
My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea bath, and combed him. We have bombed our house. And then we have repeated this process 3 times. We switched from frontline to advantage. We just found another flea. What are we doing wrong?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

This is a frustrating problem! Both Frontline and Advantage are good products so they should work to treat a flea problem.

Sometimes if there is a severe flea infestation in the house, it can take several months of treatment before we stop seeing live fleas. You can also talk to your vet about using a product called Capstar along with either the Frontline or Advantage to add extra "oomph" to the flea killing process.

Here are some other tips that may help:

-Be sure that you are using the Frontline/Advantage once a month. Any longer and fleas can still survive.
-You need to treat for at least 3 months in a row.
-You need to make sure that ALL animals in your house are being treated.
-Be sure that you don't bathe your cat within 24-48 hours of putting on the product.
-Don't use Frontline or Advantage that you bought online. There have been cases where online pharmacies were selling expired product or even a totally different product.

In my clinic, if an animal is on Advantage and the owner is following all of the directions and is treating all animals in the house, Bayer, the company that makes Advantage will investigate the problem and help you solve it. So, you may want to ask your vet if they can contact Bayer for you.

I hope this helps!

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (260768 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9291 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (8378 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (55961 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (9826 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (4557 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (8464 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (9751 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (34285 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (8536 views)