Frontline and capstar but still has fleas.

Breed: domestic long hair
My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea bath, and combed him. We have bombed our house. And then we have repeated this process 3 times. We switched from frontline to advantage. We just found another flea. What are we doing wrong?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

This is a frustrating problem! Both Frontline and Advantage are good products so they should work to treat a flea problem.

Sometimes if there is a severe flea infestation in the house, it can take several months of treatment before we stop seeing live fleas. You can also talk to your vet about using a product called Capstar along with either the Frontline or Advantage to add extra "oomph" to the flea killing process.

Here are some other tips that may help:

-Be sure that you are using the Frontline/Advantage once a month. Any longer and fleas can still survive.
-You need to treat for at least 3 months in a row.
-You need to make sure that ALL animals in your house are being treated.
-Be sure that you don't bathe your cat within 24-48 hours of putting on the product.
-Don't use Frontline or Advantage that you bought online. There have been cases where online pharmacies were selling expired product or even a totally different product.

In my clinic, if an animal is on Advantage and the owner is following all of the directions and is treating all animals in the house, Bayer, the company that makes Advantage will investigate the problem and help you solve it. So, you may want to ask your vet if they can contact Bayer for you.

I hope this helps!

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (8227 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (32858 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (27372 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (11073 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (19456 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (9525 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (44735 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (13018 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (12079 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (11187 views)