Frontline and capstar but still has fleas.

Breed: domestic long hair
My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea bath, and combed him. We have bombed our house. And then we have repeated this process 3 times. We switched from frontline to advantage. We just found another flea. What are we doing wrong?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

This is a frustrating problem! Both Frontline and Advantage are good products so they should work to treat a flea problem.

Sometimes if there is a severe flea infestation in the house, it can take several months of treatment before we stop seeing live fleas. You can also talk to your vet about using a product called Capstar along with either the Frontline or Advantage to add extra "oomph" to the flea killing process.

Here are some other tips that may help:

-Be sure that you are using the Frontline/Advantage once a month. Any longer and fleas can still survive.
-You need to treat for at least 3 months in a row.
-You need to make sure that ALL animals in your house are being treated.
-Be sure that you don't bathe your cat within 24-48 hours of putting on the product.
-Don't use Frontline or Advantage that you bought online. There have been cases where online pharmacies were selling expired product or even a totally different product.

In my clinic, if an animal is on Advantage and the owner is following all of the directions and is treating all animals in the house, Bayer, the company that makes Advantage will investigate the problem and help you solve it. So, you may want to ask your vet if they can contact Bayer for you.

I hope this helps!

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (20299 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (14981 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (29663 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (17485 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (15756 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (13947 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9156 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (20192 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (12585 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (17871 views)