Frontline and capstar but still has fleas.

Breed: domestic long hair
My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea bath, and combed him. We have bombed our house. And then we have repeated this process 3 times. We switched from frontline to advantage. We just found another flea. What are we doing wrong?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

This is a frustrating problem! Both Frontline and Advantage are good products so they should work to treat a flea problem.

Sometimes if there is a severe flea infestation in the house, it can take several months of treatment before we stop seeing live fleas. You can also talk to your vet about using a product called Capstar along with either the Frontline or Advantage to add extra "oomph" to the flea killing process.

Here are some other tips that may help:

-Be sure that you are using the Frontline/Advantage once a month. Any longer and fleas can still survive.
-You need to treat for at least 3 months in a row.
-You need to make sure that ALL animals in your house are being treated.
-Be sure that you don't bathe your cat within 24-48 hours of putting on the product.
-Don't use Frontline or Advantage that you bought online. There have been cases where online pharmacies were selling expired product or even a totally different product.

In my clinic, if an animal is on Advantage and the owner is following all of the directions and is treating all animals in the house, Bayer, the company that makes Advantage will investigate the problem and help you solve it. So, you may want to ask your vet if they can contact Bayer for you.

I hope this helps!

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (12628 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (24591 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (15030 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (42410 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (23296 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (9736 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (15094 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (285755 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (25889 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (14899 views)