Frontline and capstar but still has fleas.

Breed: domestic long hair
My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea bath, and combed him. We have bombed our house. And then we have repeated this process 3 times. We switched from frontline to advantage. We just found another flea. What are we doing wrong?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

This is a frustrating problem! Both Frontline and Advantage are good products so they should work to treat a flea problem.

Sometimes if there is a severe flea infestation in the house, it can take several months of treatment before we stop seeing live fleas. You can also talk to your vet about using a product called Capstar along with either the Frontline or Advantage to add extra "oomph" to the flea killing process.

Here are some other tips that may help:

-Be sure that you are using the Frontline/Advantage once a month. Any longer and fleas can still survive.
-You need to treat for at least 3 months in a row.
-You need to make sure that ALL animals in your house are being treated.
-Be sure that you don't bathe your cat within 24-48 hours of putting on the product.
-Don't use Frontline or Advantage that you bought online. There have been cases where online pharmacies were selling expired product or even a totally different product.

In my clinic, if an animal is on Advantage and the owner is following all of the directions and is treating all animals in the house, Bayer, the company that makes Advantage will investigate the problem and help you solve it. So, you may want to ask your vet if they can contact Bayer for you.

I hope this helps!

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (16245 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (25991 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (9352 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (9835 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8319 views)

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (14404 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (10559 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (52916 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (9821 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14203 views)