Frontline and capstar but still has fleas.

Breed: domestic long hair
My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea bath, and combed him. We have bombed our house. And then we have repeated this process 3 times. We switched from frontline to advantage. We just found another flea. What are we doing wrong?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

This is a frustrating problem! Both Frontline and Advantage are good products so they should work to treat a flea problem.

Sometimes if there is a severe flea infestation in the house, it can take several months of treatment before we stop seeing live fleas. You can also talk to your vet about using a product called Capstar along with either the Frontline or Advantage to add extra "oomph" to the flea killing process.

Here are some other tips that may help:

-Be sure that you are using the Frontline/Advantage once a month. Any longer and fleas can still survive.
-You need to treat for at least 3 months in a row.
-You need to make sure that ALL animals in your house are being treated.
-Be sure that you don't bathe your cat within 24-48 hours of putting on the product.
-Don't use Frontline or Advantage that you bought online. There have been cases where online pharmacies were selling expired product or even a totally different product.

In my clinic, if an animal is on Advantage and the owner is following all of the directions and is treating all animals in the house, Bayer, the company that makes Advantage will investigate the problem and help you solve it. So, you may want to ask your vet if they can contact Bayer for you.

I hope this helps!

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (24111 views)

Drinking a lot and collapse. My boxer, Tank, has recently began drinking water excessively and then pees all over... (19127 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (8969 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (11752 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (11927 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (12395 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (17507 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (18340 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (45960 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (8969 views)