Dog is walking funny,

Breed: mut
I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2 weeks ago I noticed Duke falling occasionally. It usually happened when he was playing on a slick tile floor. He also has been shedding small chunks of hair, again not that unusual for Duke. Today I came home for lunch (2pm) and let Duke out. He went both pee and poop. I then came home about 5pm and noticed he was walking funny and off balanced. I then left for about 2 hours (coach son's basketball team) and I received a call from my wife. Duke could not stand without falling and he peed on himself while he was laying down (he could not get up). I called the emergency hotline and they did not give me much help, but to reevaluate in the morning. Duke is in no pain and very peaceful. I even lifted him up to clean him because he had been laying in his own urine. He showed no signs of pain. I am struggling with a family and do not have any money to spend on a 14 year old dog that our whole family loves. Again he is in no pain and surrounded by people that care for him. Thanks for any answers you might give. Ben

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Duke is not doing well. There are a few things that could be causing these symptoms.

He may have something called geriatric vestibular syndrome. This is something that happens to older dogs. It is similar to a stroke but most dogs will recover from it. Symptoms include:

• wobbliness

• walking in circles

• head tilted to one side

• nystagmus - eyes going back and forth like a typewriter

• vomiting

• not eating

If this is vestibular syndrome then most dogs are completely normal within a a few days. Some dogs will always have a head tilt afterwards.

Another possibility is a back problem such as a prolapsed disc. This is more serious. Some dogs can be treated with high doses of steroids but if the disc is completely prolapsed then surgery is often needed.

It's also possible that there is something else such as a tumor affecting the spine.

Another possibility is if he had a large tumor in the abdomen that had ruptured and released a large amount of blood into the abdomen causing him to be very weak.

I wish I could give you some hope and things you can do at home. But, if he is not making an improvement by now you will need to have your vet see him and help determine whether it is time for euthanasia.

I hope everything is ok.

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (6874 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (13013 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (7723 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (11425 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (57258 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (7754 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (10391 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (5527 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (8013 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (9267 views)