Dog is walking funny,

Breed: mut
I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2 weeks ago I noticed Duke falling occasionally. It usually happened when he was playing on a slick tile floor. He also has been shedding small chunks of hair, again not that unusual for Duke. Today I came home for lunch (2pm) and let Duke out. He went both pee and poop. I then came home about 5pm and noticed he was walking funny and off balanced. I then left for about 2 hours (coach son's basketball team) and I received a call from my wife. Duke could not stand without falling and he peed on himself while he was laying down (he could not get up). I called the emergency hotline and they did not give me much help, but to reevaluate in the morning. Duke is in no pain and very peaceful. I even lifted him up to clean him because he had been laying in his own urine. He showed no signs of pain. I am struggling with a family and do not have any money to spend on a 14 year old dog that our whole family loves. Again he is in no pain and surrounded by people that care for him. Thanks for any answers you might give. Ben

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Duke is not doing well. There are a few things that could be causing these symptoms.

He may have something called geriatric vestibular syndrome. This is something that happens to older dogs. It is similar to a stroke but most dogs will recover from it. Symptoms include:

• wobbliness

• walking in circles

• head tilted to one side

• nystagmus - eyes going back and forth like a typewriter

• vomiting

• not eating

If this is vestibular syndrome then most dogs are completely normal within a a few days. Some dogs will always have a head tilt afterwards.

Another possibility is a back problem such as a prolapsed disc. This is more serious. Some dogs can be treated with high doses of steroids but if the disc is completely prolapsed then surgery is often needed.

It's also possible that there is something else such as a tumor affecting the spine.

Another possibility is if he had a large tumor in the abdomen that had ruptured and released a large amount of blood into the abdomen causing him to be very weak.

I wish I could give you some hope and things you can do at home. But, if he is not making an improvement by now you will need to have your vet see him and help determine whether it is time for euthanasia.

I hope everything is ok.

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (38752 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7050 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (25835 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6613 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8276 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (12949 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (18729 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (6684 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (11107 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (106863 views)