Dog is walking funny,

Breed: mut
I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2 weeks ago I noticed Duke falling occasionally. It usually happened when he was playing on a slick tile floor. He also has been shedding small chunks of hair, again not that unusual for Duke. Today I came home for lunch (2pm) and let Duke out. He went both pee and poop. I then came home about 5pm and noticed he was walking funny and off balanced. I then left for about 2 hours (coach son's basketball team) and I received a call from my wife. Duke could not stand without falling and he peed on himself while he was laying down (he could not get up). I called the emergency hotline and they did not give me much help, but to reevaluate in the morning. Duke is in no pain and very peaceful. I even lifted him up to clean him because he had been laying in his own urine. He showed no signs of pain. I am struggling with a family and do not have any money to spend on a 14 year old dog that our whole family loves. Again he is in no pain and surrounded by people that care for him. Thanks for any answers you might give. Ben

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Duke is not doing well. There are a few things that could be causing these symptoms.

He may have something called geriatric vestibular syndrome. This is something that happens to older dogs. It is similar to a stroke but most dogs will recover from it. Symptoms include:

• wobbliness

• walking in circles

• head tilted to one side

• nystagmus - eyes going back and forth like a typewriter

• vomiting

• not eating

If this is vestibular syndrome then most dogs are completely normal within a a few days. Some dogs will always have a head tilt afterwards.

Another possibility is a back problem such as a prolapsed disc. This is more serious. Some dogs can be treated with high doses of steroids but if the disc is completely prolapsed then surgery is often needed.

It's also possible that there is something else such as a tumor affecting the spine.

Another possibility is if he had a large tumor in the abdomen that had ruptured and released a large amount of blood into the abdomen causing him to be very weak.

I wish I could give you some hope and things you can do at home. But, if he is not making an improvement by now you will need to have your vet see him and help determine whether it is time for euthanasia.

I hope everything is ok.

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (28373 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (13782 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (13591 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (37297 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (41221 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (11003 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (9783 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (23596 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (10550 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (6241 views)