Dog is walking funny,

Breed: mut
I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2 weeks ago I noticed Duke falling occasionally. It usually happened when he was playing on a slick tile floor. He also has been shedding small chunks of hair, again not that unusual for Duke. Today I came home for lunch (2pm) and let Duke out. He went both pee and poop. I then came home about 5pm and noticed he was walking funny and off balanced. I then left for about 2 hours (coach son's basketball team) and I received a call from my wife. Duke could not stand without falling and he peed on himself while he was laying down (he could not get up). I called the emergency hotline and they did not give me much help, but to reevaluate in the morning. Duke is in no pain and very peaceful. I even lifted him up to clean him because he had been laying in his own urine. He showed no signs of pain. I am struggling with a family and do not have any money to spend on a 14 year old dog that our whole family loves. Again he is in no pain and surrounded by people that care for him. Thanks for any answers you might give. Ben

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Duke is not doing well. There are a few things that could be causing these symptoms.

He may have something called geriatric vestibular syndrome. This is something that happens to older dogs. It is similar to a stroke but most dogs will recover from it. Symptoms include:

• wobbliness

• walking in circles

• head tilted to one side

• nystagmus - eyes going back and forth like a typewriter

• vomiting

• not eating

If this is vestibular syndrome then most dogs are completely normal within a a few days. Some dogs will always have a head tilt afterwards.

Another possibility is a back problem such as a prolapsed disc. This is more serious. Some dogs can be treated with high doses of steroids but if the disc is completely prolapsed then surgery is often needed.

It's also possible that there is something else such as a tumor affecting the spine.

Another possibility is if he had a large tumor in the abdomen that had ruptured and released a large amount of blood into the abdomen causing him to be very weak.

I wish I could give you some hope and things you can do at home. But, if he is not making an improvement by now you will need to have your vet see him and help determine whether it is time for euthanasia.

I hope everything is ok.

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (39921 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (47548 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (44198 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (11879 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (31623 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5162 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (15712 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (12255 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (10192 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (7286 views)