Anisocoria in 15 year old cat.

Breed: short hair domestic
Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is strange...meaning the pupil looks larger than the other eye and it looks like a film is covering the whole eye. She does not seemed bothered by this at all. She doesn't paw at it or anything. She acts normal in every way except for how the eye looks. I asked my vet and he said it was something in her brain that did this but that didn't sit right with me. What is it and what do I do about it?

Thanks.

(I didn't see you had answered the last time until today but still want to know what to do for my little old lady)

What you are describing with the pupils being different sizes is called anisocoria. There are several possible reasons for anisocoria in a cat. What your vet is describing with "something in the brain" certainly can be true. Anisocoria can be due to a tumor affecting the optic nerve which travels from the eye to the brain. It's hard to diagnose this type of thing without doing expensive tests like an MRI or a CT scan.

However, a tumor should not really cause a film to cover the eye. If the film is on the outside of the eye then it sounds like there could be damage to the cornea. Another possibility is an immune mediated problem that is causing the cells on the cornea to react.

If, however, the film is more inside of the cornea she could have a condition called uveitis. There are many possible causes for uveitis but it always means that something serious is going on inside the body. Viruses like Feline Leukemia or FIP can do this but these are not common in a 15 year old cat. A variety of other illnesses can do this as well.

Glaucoma could cause issues like this as well. Glaucomia is a buildup of pressure in one eye. It is quite painful but cats will often show no outward signs of pain.

If the film is something new it may be worthwhile to have your vet take a look as this may give him a new clue as to what is going on. Another option is to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist as these vets are used to seeing unusual conditions in eyes.

It definitely sounds like something that is worth checking out. Whether or not it is causing her discomfort is debatable, but my guess is that this could be uncomfortable for her.

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (12001 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (3994 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (4328 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (31284 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (53227 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (10852 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (13271 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (4930 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (17907 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (8852 views)