Anisocoria in 15 year old cat.

Breed: short hair domestic
Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is strange...meaning the pupil looks larger than the other eye and it looks like a film is covering the whole eye. She does not seemed bothered by this at all. She doesn't paw at it or anything. She acts normal in every way except for how the eye looks. I asked my vet and he said it was something in her brain that did this but that didn't sit right with me. What is it and what do I do about it?

Thanks.

(I didn't see you had answered the last time until today but still want to know what to do for my little old lady)

What you are describing with the pupils being different sizes is called anisocoria. There are several possible reasons for anisocoria in a cat. What your vet is describing with "something in the brain" certainly can be true. Anisocoria can be due to a tumor affecting the optic nerve which travels from the eye to the brain. It's hard to diagnose this type of thing without doing expensive tests like an MRI or a CT scan.

However, a tumor should not really cause a film to cover the eye. If the film is on the outside of the eye then it sounds like there could be damage to the cornea. Another possibility is an immune mediated problem that is causing the cells on the cornea to react.

If, however, the film is more inside of the cornea she could have a condition called uveitis. There are many possible causes for uveitis but it always means that something serious is going on inside the body. Viruses like Feline Leukemia or FIP can do this but these are not common in a 15 year old cat. A variety of other illnesses can do this as well.

Glaucoma could cause issues like this as well. Glaucomia is a buildup of pressure in one eye. It is quite painful but cats will often show no outward signs of pain.

If the film is something new it may be worthwhile to have your vet take a look as this may give him a new clue as to what is going on. Another option is to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist as these vets are used to seeing unusual conditions in eyes.

It definitely sounds like something that is worth checking out. Whether or not it is causing her discomfort is debatable, but my guess is that this could be uncomfortable for her.

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (6495 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (58873 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (11279 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (17930 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (8846 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (19840 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (11363 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (66394 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (33091 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (10595 views)