Anisocoria in 15 year old cat.

Breed: short hair domestic
Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is strange...meaning the pupil looks larger than the other eye and it looks like a film is covering the whole eye. She does not seemed bothered by this at all. She doesn't paw at it or anything. She acts normal in every way except for how the eye looks. I asked my vet and he said it was something in her brain that did this but that didn't sit right with me. What is it and what do I do about it?

Thanks.

(I didn't see you had answered the last time until today but still want to know what to do for my little old lady)

What you are describing with the pupils being different sizes is called anisocoria. There are several possible reasons for anisocoria in a cat. What your vet is describing with "something in the brain" certainly can be true. Anisocoria can be due to a tumor affecting the optic nerve which travels from the eye to the brain. It's hard to diagnose this type of thing without doing expensive tests like an MRI or a CT scan.

However, a tumor should not really cause a film to cover the eye. If the film is on the outside of the eye then it sounds like there could be damage to the cornea. Another possibility is an immune mediated problem that is causing the cells on the cornea to react.

If, however, the film is more inside of the cornea she could have a condition called uveitis. There are many possible causes for uveitis but it always means that something serious is going on inside the body. Viruses like Feline Leukemia or FIP can do this but these are not common in a 15 year old cat. A variety of other illnesses can do this as well.

Glaucoma could cause issues like this as well. Glaucomia is a buildup of pressure in one eye. It is quite painful but cats will often show no outward signs of pain.

If the film is something new it may be worthwhile to have your vet take a look as this may give him a new clue as to what is going on. Another option is to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist as these vets are used to seeing unusual conditions in eyes.

It definitely sounds like something that is worth checking out. Whether or not it is causing her discomfort is debatable, but my guess is that this could be uncomfortable for her.

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (7558 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (58411 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (17030 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (28806 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (10307 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (18228 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9778 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (11527 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (13149 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (25438 views)