Anisocoria in 15 year old cat.

Breed: short hair domestic
Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is strange...meaning the pupil looks larger than the other eye and it looks like a film is covering the whole eye. She does not seemed bothered by this at all. She doesn't paw at it or anything. She acts normal in every way except for how the eye looks. I asked my vet and he said it was something in her brain that did this but that didn't sit right with me. What is it and what do I do about it?

Thanks.

(I didn't see you had answered the last time until today but still want to know what to do for my little old lady)

What you are describing with the pupils being different sizes is called anisocoria. There are several possible reasons for anisocoria in a cat. What your vet is describing with "something in the brain" certainly can be true. Anisocoria can be due to a tumor affecting the optic nerve which travels from the eye to the brain. It's hard to diagnose this type of thing without doing expensive tests like an MRI or a CT scan.

However, a tumor should not really cause a film to cover the eye. If the film is on the outside of the eye then it sounds like there could be damage to the cornea. Another possibility is an immune mediated problem that is causing the cells on the cornea to react.

If, however, the film is more inside of the cornea she could have a condition called uveitis. There are many possible causes for uveitis but it always means that something serious is going on inside the body. Viruses like Feline Leukemia or FIP can do this but these are not common in a 15 year old cat. A variety of other illnesses can do this as well.

Glaucoma could cause issues like this as well. Glaucomia is a buildup of pressure in one eye. It is quite painful but cats will often show no outward signs of pain.

If the film is something new it may be worthwhile to have your vet take a look as this may give him a new clue as to what is going on. Another option is to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist as these vets are used to seeing unusual conditions in eyes.

It definitely sounds like something that is worth checking out. Whether or not it is causing her discomfort is debatable, but my guess is that this could be uncomfortable for her.

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (7327 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (15471 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (41383 views)

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (8384 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (27141 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (10358 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (10659 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (8285 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (7704 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (19480 views)