Dog barked during euthanasia.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Hi

Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought it was suppose to be a peaceful situation? but when the vet put the needle in there was no sound from my dog, after 5secs or so he barked and tried to take his paw away from the needle ?

Sometimes this does happen. But when it does, the dog is not aware of what is happening. We think that this is a form of a muscle spasm that dogs get.

The medication that we use for euthanasia causes complete anesthesia of the brain first. This means that your dog was totally unaware of what was happening.

I would say that in my experience about 1 in 10 dogs will make a noise as they pass away.

So sorry for your loss.

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (26247 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (13719 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (16462 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (9486 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (10475 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (10500 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (21795 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (13141 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (5291 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9954 views)