Dog barked during euthanasia.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Hi

Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought it was suppose to be a peaceful situation? but when the vet put the needle in there was no sound from my dog, after 5secs or so he barked and tried to take his paw away from the needle ?

Sometimes this does happen. But when it does, the dog is not aware of what is happening. We think that this is a form of a muscle spasm that dogs get.

The medication that we use for euthanasia causes complete anesthesia of the brain first. This means that your dog was totally unaware of what was happening.

I would say that in my experience about 1 in 10 dogs will make a noise as they pass away.

So sorry for your loss.

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20734 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (14512 views)

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (33088 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (24510 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (9438 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (5521 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (36509 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8287 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9174 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (4863 views)