Dog barked during euthanasia.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Hi

Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought it was suppose to be a peaceful situation? but when the vet put the needle in there was no sound from my dog, after 5secs or so he barked and tried to take his paw away from the needle ?

Sometimes this does happen. But when it does, the dog is not aware of what is happening. We think that this is a form of a muscle spasm that dogs get.

The medication that we use for euthanasia causes complete anesthesia of the brain first. This means that your dog was totally unaware of what was happening.

I would say that in my experience about 1 in 10 dogs will make a noise as they pass away.

So sorry for your loss.

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (18339 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9830 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (81903 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (6181 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (16624 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (43305 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (8031 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (7516 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (8650 views)

Kitten has bad breath. I am having serious problems because my cat is having very smelly and bad breath... (33345 views)