Dog barked during euthanasia.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Hi

Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought it was suppose to be a peaceful situation? but when the vet put the needle in there was no sound from my dog, after 5secs or so he barked and tried to take his paw away from the needle ?

Sometimes this does happen. But when it does, the dog is not aware of what is happening. We think that this is a form of a muscle spasm that dogs get.

The medication that we use for euthanasia causes complete anesthesia of the brain first. This means that your dog was totally unaware of what was happening.

I would say that in my experience about 1 in 10 dogs will make a noise as they pass away.

So sorry for your loss.

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (9309 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5497 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4890 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (7547 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (13494 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7676 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (10955 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12689 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6817 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (13600 views)