Click in dog's elbow.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr.

I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it. (Much as human's knees creak when they stand up).

It's not consistent and there is absolutely no sign of lameness or swelling. It occurs every now and then.

I first noticed it when he was just a pup but since he likely has hip dysplasia I am now more conscious of it.

What are the chances this is an early sign of elbow dyspasia?

Jay

Hi Jay,

A click or creaking noise when the elbow is bent is not something I see very often in dogs.

Because I don't see this often, I did some research for you. If it is a "click" then the most common reason is if there is ligament damage somewhere in the leg. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the elbow. I read of some cases where this was the cause, but in many of those cases the dog just got better on their own.

Elbow dysplasia can cause a click as well, but it is usually painful. Most dogs with a painful elbow will not like it if you try to extend the elbow. See what Max does if you extend the leg so that, rather than being flexed, the elbow is as straight as possible. Does he let you do that equally on each leg? If not, this could be a sign of pain.

If this were my case I would probably do nothing, especially if Max is not showing any signs of pain or limping. If you are worried though, it's not a bad idea to get some xrays of the elbows done. One of the problems though is that elbow xrays can be hard to interpret, especially if there is only mild disease (or no disease) present. So, your vet may consider sending xrays to a radiologist to see what they think.

With that being said, I really do think it is possible for this to be just a normal thing. Personally, my own elbow clicks from time to time and has done so for years. It doesn't cause me any pain at all.

Thanks for doing the research.

He has no issue with me extending the right and left front legs. I fully extended the limb by supporting the elbow. Actually when extended he leaves the limb loose without tensing or trying to move back - left and right limbs.

He retains full activty level. I just enticed him to jump on the counter a few times and he did so without reservation.

I isolated the click sound because it occured when he was 'giving paw'. Other than the noise his behaviour was unremarkable.

I realise in most humans (me included) joint clicks are not an issue. If that's all it is I don't care.

Given his knee and hips I just wanted to make sure it was not part of a pattern.

Tanks,

Jay

I really wouldn't be worried.

Here is something to look for in the future, just to be safe. Keep an eye on how well Max can jump down from things. So, if he is on the bed, or in the car and jumps down onto the ground, does he hesitate at all before jumping down? If you start noticing some trepidation before he jumps down then this can be a sign that he is hiding pain somewhere.

I'm guessing that this is nothing to worry about though!

Thanks. I will keep it in the back of my mind.

Given that I first noticed it about a year ago so it may be nothing.

Unrelated but a lot of my friends feed their dog those deer antlers. Is that a good or bad idea?

I think they're probably good. I haven't completely made up my mind yet, but everything I've read on them so far is positive.

Thanks again.

Have a nice weekend.

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (6185 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (16429 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (11427 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (25598 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (8186 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (15753 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (10879 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (7283 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (12626 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (19124 views)