Click in dog's elbow.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr.

I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it. (Much as human's knees creak when they stand up).

It's not consistent and there is absolutely no sign of lameness or swelling. It occurs every now and then.

I first noticed it when he was just a pup but since he likely has hip dysplasia I am now more conscious of it.

What are the chances this is an early sign of elbow dyspasia?

Jay

Hi Jay,

A click or creaking noise when the elbow is bent is not something I see very often in dogs.

Because I don't see this often, I did some research for you. If it is a "click" then the most common reason is if there is ligament damage somewhere in the leg. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the elbow. I read of some cases where this was the cause, but in many of those cases the dog just got better on their own.

Elbow dysplasia can cause a click as well, but it is usually painful. Most dogs with a painful elbow will not like it if you try to extend the elbow. See what Max does if you extend the leg so that, rather than being flexed, the elbow is as straight as possible. Does he let you do that equally on each leg? If not, this could be a sign of pain.

If this were my case I would probably do nothing, especially if Max is not showing any signs of pain or limping. If you are worried though, it's not a bad idea to get some xrays of the elbows done. One of the problems though is that elbow xrays can be hard to interpret, especially if there is only mild disease (or no disease) present. So, your vet may consider sending xrays to a radiologist to see what they think.

With that being said, I really do think it is possible for this to be just a normal thing. Personally, my own elbow clicks from time to time and has done so for years. It doesn't cause me any pain at all.

Thanks for doing the research.

He has no issue with me extending the right and left front legs. I fully extended the limb by supporting the elbow. Actually when extended he leaves the limb loose without tensing or trying to move back - left and right limbs.

He retains full activty level. I just enticed him to jump on the counter a few times and he did so without reservation.

I isolated the click sound because it occured when he was 'giving paw'. Other than the noise his behaviour was unremarkable.

I realise in most humans (me included) joint clicks are not an issue. If that's all it is I don't care.

Given his knee and hips I just wanted to make sure it was not part of a pattern.

Tanks,

Jay

I really wouldn't be worried.

Here is something to look for in the future, just to be safe. Keep an eye on how well Max can jump down from things. So, if he is on the bed, or in the car and jumps down onto the ground, does he hesitate at all before jumping down? If you start noticing some trepidation before he jumps down then this can be a sign that he is hiding pain somewhere.

I'm guessing that this is nothing to worry about though!

Thanks. I will keep it in the back of my mind.

Given that I first noticed it about a year ago so it may be nothing.

Unrelated but a lot of my friends feed their dog those deer antlers. Is that a good or bad idea?

I think they're probably good. I haven't completely made up my mind yet, but everything I've read on them so far is positive.

Thanks again.

Have a nice weekend.

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (14290 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (12426 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (21108 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (11268 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (16710 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (9506 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (18330 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (11626 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (42786 views)

Spots all over body. Hi My staffordshire bull terrier has little spots all over his body almost like... (16070 views)