Bump under eye - tooth abscess

Breed: Whippet/Labrador cro
My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't caused her problems until now. It burst an hour ago and pus came out of it. I tried cleaning it with a wet tissue but seemed to make it worse as it started bleeding. It's stopped now as she's cleaned it herself, but should I be worried?

Thanks for your question.

When an older dog has an abscess under the eye it usually means that this is a tooth abscess. The large chewing tooth (carnassial tooth) has roots that push up just below the eye. If the tooth is abscessed then it can cause a bump under the eye.

Often you can't see a problem with the actual tooth although sometimes you can see some redness on the gumline or even more obvious signs.

A carnassial tooth abscess really can only be permanently fixed by having the tooth removed under an anesthetic. We can usually get a temporary fix by giving antibiotics.

I hope things are ok!

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (17164 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (15046 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (9064 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (8260 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (20039 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (7458 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (10205 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (3730 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (7341 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (40659 views)