Bump under eye - tooth abscess

Breed: Whippet/Labrador cro
My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't caused her problems until now. It burst an hour ago and pus came out of it. I tried cleaning it with a wet tissue but seemed to make it worse as it started bleeding. It's stopped now as she's cleaned it herself, but should I be worried?

Thanks for your question.

When an older dog has an abscess under the eye it usually means that this is a tooth abscess. The large chewing tooth (carnassial tooth) has roots that push up just below the eye. If the tooth is abscessed then it can cause a bump under the eye.

Often you can't see a problem with the actual tooth although sometimes you can see some redness on the gumline or even more obvious signs.

A carnassial tooth abscess really can only be permanently fixed by having the tooth removed under an anesthetic. We can usually get a temporary fix by giving antibiotics.

I hope things are ok!

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (6763 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (6247 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11442 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (9830 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (33460 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (7673 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (18185 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (22970 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (10604 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (16661 views)