Bump under eye - tooth abscess

Breed: Whippet/Labrador cro
My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't caused her problems until now. It burst an hour ago and pus came out of it. I tried cleaning it with a wet tissue but seemed to make it worse as it started bleeding. It's stopped now as she's cleaned it herself, but should I be worried?

Thanks for your question.

When an older dog has an abscess under the eye it usually means that this is a tooth abscess. The large chewing tooth (carnassial tooth) has roots that push up just below the eye. If the tooth is abscessed then it can cause a bump under the eye.

Often you can't see a problem with the actual tooth although sometimes you can see some redness on the gumline or even more obvious signs.

A carnassial tooth abscess really can only be permanently fixed by having the tooth removed under an anesthetic. We can usually get a temporary fix by giving antibiotics.

I hope things are ok!

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (4617 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (9978 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (32493 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (15739 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (19994 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (9657 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (11098 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (17636 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (8591 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (8925 views)