Bump under eye - tooth abscess

Breed: Whippet/Labrador cro
My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't caused her problems until now. It burst an hour ago and pus came out of it. I tried cleaning it with a wet tissue but seemed to make it worse as it started bleeding. It's stopped now as she's cleaned it herself, but should I be worried?

Thanks for your question.

When an older dog has an abscess under the eye it usually means that this is a tooth abscess. The large chewing tooth (carnassial tooth) has roots that push up just below the eye. If the tooth is abscessed then it can cause a bump under the eye.

Often you can't see a problem with the actual tooth although sometimes you can see some redness on the gumline or even more obvious signs.

A carnassial tooth abscess really can only be permanently fixed by having the tooth removed under an anesthetic. We can usually get a temporary fix by giving antibiotics.

I hope things are ok!

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (8678 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (11340 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (6892 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (8202 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (7445 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (6471 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (5815 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (16746 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (4904 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (3598 views)