Bump under eye - tooth abscess

Breed: Whippet/Labrador cro
My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't caused her problems until now. It burst an hour ago and pus came out of it. I tried cleaning it with a wet tissue but seemed to make it worse as it started bleeding. It's stopped now as she's cleaned it herself, but should I be worried?

Thanks for your question.

When an older dog has an abscess under the eye it usually means that this is a tooth abscess. The large chewing tooth (carnassial tooth) has roots that push up just below the eye. If the tooth is abscessed then it can cause a bump under the eye.

Often you can't see a problem with the actual tooth although sometimes you can see some redness on the gumline or even more obvious signs.

A carnassial tooth abscess really can only be permanently fixed by having the tooth removed under an anesthetic. We can usually get a temporary fix by giving antibiotics.

I hope things are ok!

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (9134 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (7031 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (15049 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (26330 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (20634 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (9295 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (3462 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (34711 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (23478 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (7197 views)