Bump under eye - tooth abscess

Breed: Whippet/Labrador cro
My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't caused her problems until now. It burst an hour ago and pus came out of it. I tried cleaning it with a wet tissue but seemed to make it worse as it started bleeding. It's stopped now as she's cleaned it herself, but should I be worried?

Thanks for your question.

When an older dog has an abscess under the eye it usually means that this is a tooth abscess. The large chewing tooth (carnassial tooth) has roots that push up just below the eye. If the tooth is abscessed then it can cause a bump under the eye.

Often you can't see a problem with the actual tooth although sometimes you can see some redness on the gumline or even more obvious signs.

A carnassial tooth abscess really can only be permanently fixed by having the tooth removed under an anesthetic. We can usually get a temporary fix by giving antibiotics.

I hope things are ok!

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (9628 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (38395 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (9054 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (9008 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (7815 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (8174 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (13466 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (5033 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (9980 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (14398 views)