Mouth infection in cat.

Breed: blue russian
my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting his nails. now he seems to be having problems seeing, im not sure. he is really jumpy and his eyes seem to be staying diolated all day.. i am a single mother of 3 and draw ssi and not employeed at this time.. i dont know a cheap vet. could you help please...

I'm very sorry to hear that Tom is having these problems. This is going to be a hard question for me to answer without seeing him but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an abscess. Does Tom go outside? If so, it is possible that he has had a scratch or bite from another cat and now it is infected. Unfortunately if this is the case he will likely not get better without antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Another possibility for his mouth is something called an eosinophilic ulcer. These will sometimes go away on their own but often need a steroid injection. However, this shouldn't cause him to have problems seeing.

It is not common to have a cat with blindness issues at this young age. One of the possibilities for blindness in a young cat is a condition called FIP. Unfortunately we don't have a cure for FIP.

It really does sound like Tom needs to see a vet. Here is a list of organizations that may be able to help you with finances:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/

I hope he does ok!

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (7886 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (15672 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (4108 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (17384 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (12768 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (4003 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (10219 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (36032 views)

Hamster biting leg Hi Iam a newbe to the whole dwaf hamster thing so I have this six week year old... (11627 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (8149 views)