Mouth infection in cat.

Breed: blue russian
my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting his nails. now he seems to be having problems seeing, im not sure. he is really jumpy and his eyes seem to be staying diolated all day.. i am a single mother of 3 and draw ssi and not employeed at this time.. i dont know a cheap vet. could you help please...

I'm very sorry to hear that Tom is having these problems. This is going to be a hard question for me to answer without seeing him but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an abscess. Does Tom go outside? If so, it is possible that he has had a scratch or bite from another cat and now it is infected. Unfortunately if this is the case he will likely not get better without antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Another possibility for his mouth is something called an eosinophilic ulcer. These will sometimes go away on their own but often need a steroid injection. However, this shouldn't cause him to have problems seeing.

It is not common to have a cat with blindness issues at this young age. One of the possibilities for blindness in a young cat is a condition called FIP. Unfortunately we don't have a cure for FIP.

It really does sound like Tom needs to see a vet. Here is a list of organizations that may be able to help you with finances:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/

I hope he does ok!

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (148074 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (21697 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (39100 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (6733 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9128 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (8904 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (6709 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (4864 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (9547 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (38088 views)