Mouth infection in cat.

Breed: blue russian
my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting his nails. now he seems to be having problems seeing, im not sure. he is really jumpy and his eyes seem to be staying diolated all day.. i am a single mother of 3 and draw ssi and not employeed at this time.. i dont know a cheap vet. could you help please...

I'm very sorry to hear that Tom is having these problems. This is going to be a hard question for me to answer without seeing him but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an abscess. Does Tom go outside? If so, it is possible that he has had a scratch or bite from another cat and now it is infected. Unfortunately if this is the case he will likely not get better without antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Another possibility for his mouth is something called an eosinophilic ulcer. These will sometimes go away on their own but often need a steroid injection. However, this shouldn't cause him to have problems seeing.

It is not common to have a cat with blindness issues at this young age. One of the possibilities for blindness in a young cat is a condition called FIP. Unfortunately we don't have a cure for FIP.

It really does sound like Tom needs to see a vet. Here is a list of organizations that may be able to help you with finances:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/

I hope he does ok!

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (22198 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (17549 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (34836 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (88282 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (21824 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (13795 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (16490 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (15499 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (198527 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (9311 views)