Mouth infection in cat.

Breed: blue russian
my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting his nails. now he seems to be having problems seeing, im not sure. he is really jumpy and his eyes seem to be staying diolated all day.. i am a single mother of 3 and draw ssi and not employeed at this time.. i dont know a cheap vet. could you help please...

I'm very sorry to hear that Tom is having these problems. This is going to be a hard question for me to answer without seeing him but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an abscess. Does Tom go outside? If so, it is possible that he has had a scratch or bite from another cat and now it is infected. Unfortunately if this is the case he will likely not get better without antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Another possibility for his mouth is something called an eosinophilic ulcer. These will sometimes go away on their own but often need a steroid injection. However, this shouldn't cause him to have problems seeing.

It is not common to have a cat with blindness issues at this young age. One of the possibilities for blindness in a young cat is a condition called FIP. Unfortunately we don't have a cure for FIP.

It really does sound like Tom needs to see a vet. Here is a list of organizations that may be able to help you with finances:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/

I hope he does ok!

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4645 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5442 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8364 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (16798 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (55644 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14754 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (14654 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (93239 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (26243 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5485 views)