Mouth infection in cat.

Breed: blue russian
my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting his nails. now he seems to be having problems seeing, im not sure. he is really jumpy and his eyes seem to be staying diolated all day.. i am a single mother of 3 and draw ssi and not employeed at this time.. i dont know a cheap vet. could you help please...

I'm very sorry to hear that Tom is having these problems. This is going to be a hard question for me to answer without seeing him but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an abscess. Does Tom go outside? If so, it is possible that he has had a scratch or bite from another cat and now it is infected. Unfortunately if this is the case he will likely not get better without antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Another possibility for his mouth is something called an eosinophilic ulcer. These will sometimes go away on their own but often need a steroid injection. However, this shouldn't cause him to have problems seeing.

It is not common to have a cat with blindness issues at this young age. One of the possibilities for blindness in a young cat is a condition called FIP. Unfortunately we don't have a cure for FIP.

It really does sound like Tom needs to see a vet. Here is a list of organizations that may be able to help you with finances:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/

I hope he does ok!

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (6102 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (8502 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (8808 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (11228 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (13027 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (6946 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (17216 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (8629 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (24658 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (7051 views)