Cat losing fur.

Breed: Tabby cat
Hi
Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that he appears healthy, active with a good appetite.

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in clumps.

Some cats can just develop matts on their back end that will only go away if they come out. This often happens in overweight cats that have trouble grooming themselves because of their weight.

Have you changed his food lately? Sometimes hair loss can be a result of eating a poor quality diet.

Other cats will lose hair in clumps if they are fighting some sort of illness. I see this commonly in diabetic cats, but any underlying illness can cause a change in the coat quality.

If there are scabs on his skin underneath the fur then it is possible that he has an allergy to something. If he is losing the hair mostly at the end of his back or down the middle of this back then a flea allergy is the most common reason.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at him and see if there is a medical problem going on.

I hope all is well!

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4831 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6979 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (13889 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (9699 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (12980 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (35201 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (15556 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (16438 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (15369 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (15189 views)