Cat losing fur.

Breed: Tabby cat
Hi
Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that he appears healthy, active with a good appetite.

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in clumps.

Some cats can just develop matts on their back end that will only go away if they come out. This often happens in overweight cats that have trouble grooming themselves because of their weight.

Have you changed his food lately? Sometimes hair loss can be a result of eating a poor quality diet.

Other cats will lose hair in clumps if they are fighting some sort of illness. I see this commonly in diabetic cats, but any underlying illness can cause a change in the coat quality.

If there are scabs on his skin underneath the fur then it is possible that he has an allergy to something. If he is losing the hair mostly at the end of his back or down the middle of this back then a flea allergy is the most common reason.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at him and see if there is a medical problem going on.

I hope all is well!

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (4053 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (8674 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (37236 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (11055 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (7889 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (4310 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (12076 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (8887 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (14269 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7175 views)