Cat losing fur.

Breed: Tabby cat
Hi
Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that he appears healthy, active with a good appetite.

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in clumps.

Some cats can just develop matts on their back end that will only go away if they come out. This often happens in overweight cats that have trouble grooming themselves because of their weight.

Have you changed his food lately? Sometimes hair loss can be a result of eating a poor quality diet.

Other cats will lose hair in clumps if they are fighting some sort of illness. I see this commonly in diabetic cats, but any underlying illness can cause a change in the coat quality.

If there are scabs on his skin underneath the fur then it is possible that he has an allergy to something. If he is losing the hair mostly at the end of his back or down the middle of this back then a flea allergy is the most common reason.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at him and see if there is a medical problem going on.

I hope all is well!

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (10534 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (9100 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (11864 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (9010 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (45552 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (10590 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (106271 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (6984 views)

Golden Retriever Smell Hello. I have two golden retrievers and the youngest is 11 months old. She has a... (44188 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (58936 views)