Cat losing fur.

Breed: Tabby cat
Hi
Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that he appears healthy, active with a good appetite.

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in clumps.

Some cats can just develop matts on their back end that will only go away if they come out. This often happens in overweight cats that have trouble grooming themselves because of their weight.

Have you changed his food lately? Sometimes hair loss can be a result of eating a poor quality diet.

Other cats will lose hair in clumps if they are fighting some sort of illness. I see this commonly in diabetic cats, but any underlying illness can cause a change in the coat quality.

If there are scabs on his skin underneath the fur then it is possible that he has an allergy to something. If he is losing the hair mostly at the end of his back or down the middle of this back then a flea allergy is the most common reason.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at him and see if there is a medical problem going on.

I hope all is well!

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (10840 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (11658 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (5707 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (6093 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (14301 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (6547 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (5602 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (5284 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (12423 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (7892 views)