Cat losing fur.

Breed: Tabby cat
Hi
Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that he appears healthy, active with a good appetite.

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in clumps.

Some cats can just develop matts on their back end that will only go away if they come out. This often happens in overweight cats that have trouble grooming themselves because of their weight.

Have you changed his food lately? Sometimes hair loss can be a result of eating a poor quality diet.

Other cats will lose hair in clumps if they are fighting some sort of illness. I see this commonly in diabetic cats, but any underlying illness can cause a change in the coat quality.

If there are scabs on his skin underneath the fur then it is possible that he has an allergy to something. If he is losing the hair mostly at the end of his back or down the middle of this back then a flea allergy is the most common reason.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at him and see if there is a medical problem going on.

I hope all is well!

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (36981 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16068 views)

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (10415 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9274 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (4045 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (7832 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (7428 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (22813 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (9471 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (8595 views)