My dog wants to sniff everything.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take him around 8am in the morning and he pees almost immediately….However. It takes more than 5 minutes of walking around the area in order for him to poo. He just stands around and walks sniffing the air if a gust of wind comes by (frequent right now) and sniffs the ground a lot. Him standing still in 20 degree weather sniffing the air and not pooing, is a major annoyance o me, since at that point I’m freezing. He does this also at night, even though I put enough time in between his bathroom breaks for him to digest his food. I know he has a powerful nose but it’s beginning to get annoying. Is there any way to curb his appetite to sniff so much??

This is a tough question to answer!

It sounds like for Lex, sniffing is more exciting than having a bowel movement. It may help if you give him a really good reward as soon as he has a bowel movement. That way, he may be more eager to get that done first.

I really don't recommend any sort of punishment for the sniffing because then we are likely to create a situation where he we be afraid to go outside and then end up having bowel movements in secret (i.e. in the house).

One other thought - is he neutered? If not, having him neutered may make him less crazy about sniffing everything!

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (11189 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (73948 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (11733 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12680 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (11142 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (8756 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5079 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (16593 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9865 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10193 views)