My dog wants to sniff everything.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take him around 8am in the morning and he pees almost immediately….However. It takes more than 5 minutes of walking around the area in order for him to poo. He just stands around and walks sniffing the air if a gust of wind comes by (frequent right now) and sniffs the ground a lot. Him standing still in 20 degree weather sniffing the air and not pooing, is a major annoyance o me, since at that point I’m freezing. He does this also at night, even though I put enough time in between his bathroom breaks for him to digest his food. I know he has a powerful nose but it’s beginning to get annoying. Is there any way to curb his appetite to sniff so much??

This is a tough question to answer!

It sounds like for Lex, sniffing is more exciting than having a bowel movement. It may help if you give him a really good reward as soon as he has a bowel movement. That way, he may be more eager to get that done first.

I really don't recommend any sort of punishment for the sniffing because then we are likely to create a situation where he we be afraid to go outside and then end up having bowel movements in secret (i.e. in the house).

One other thought - is he neutered? If not, having him neutered may make him less crazy about sniffing everything!

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (28147 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (7066 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (10456 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (21397 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (88117 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (14530 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (20344 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (8688 views)

Front leg and neck pain. Hi, I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started... (14980 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (7782 views)