Still has roundworms.

Breed: DSH
My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born outside and I adopted him from a shelter. Now he is strictly an indoor only cat, and I keep his litter box and my home very clean.

A few months after I adopted him in January 2010, he vomited out 3 roundworms. I immediately got him a Drontal treatment (two pills within three weeks) and then brought in a stool sample and it tested negative for eggs/parasites. 3-4 months later, the same thing happened; Oliver vomited out worms, he got dewormed, and then tested negative. I cleaned his litter box with bleach and threw away all his toys he carried around in his mouth.

A week ago, Oliver vomited out roundworms again! This is the third time that this has happened. I don't understand why he keeps vomiting out worms after his stool tests negative. Could you tell me what's going on with poor Oliver? I'm not sure if I should give him Revolution for the rest of his life or keep deworming him every few months.

A cat can still have a negative stool sample even though they have parasites. This is because some parasites like roundworms can go through a stage where they don't lay eggs.

While Drontal is a good dewormer, if this were my case I would likely be using a different dewormer (such as milbemax) every 2 weeks for about 8 treatments, and then every 3 months.

Revolution is ok for roundworms but not the greatest.

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6614 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (13390 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (16190 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (46430 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (7338 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (6736 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24390 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (19084 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (5082 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (7014 views)