Still has roundworms.

Breed: DSH
My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born outside and I adopted him from a shelter. Now he is strictly an indoor only cat, and I keep his litter box and my home very clean.

A few months after I adopted him in January 2010, he vomited out 3 roundworms. I immediately got him a Drontal treatment (two pills within three weeks) and then brought in a stool sample and it tested negative for eggs/parasites. 3-4 months later, the same thing happened; Oliver vomited out worms, he got dewormed, and then tested negative. I cleaned his litter box with bleach and threw away all his toys he carried around in his mouth.

A week ago, Oliver vomited out roundworms again! This is the third time that this has happened. I don't understand why he keeps vomiting out worms after his stool tests negative. Could you tell me what's going on with poor Oliver? I'm not sure if I should give him Revolution for the rest of his life or keep deworming him every few months.

A cat can still have a negative stool sample even though they have parasites. This is because some parasites like roundworms can go through a stage where they don't lay eggs.

While Drontal is a good dewormer, if this were my case I would likely be using a different dewormer (such as milbemax) every 2 weeks for about 8 treatments, and then every 3 months.

Revolution is ok for roundworms but not the greatest.

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (20803 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (8022 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (5770 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (7689 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (41487 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (11829 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (7026 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (10299 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (19286 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (15463 views)