Can I give my dog aspirin?

Breed: collie/shepard
Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It also is coated and I heard that wasn't good for dogs. I can't call my vet till tues, and would like to help ease the pain for her.
If not aspirin would you recommend something else?

Hi Jennifer...

Sorry to hear that Naula is not doing well!

In MOST cases aspirin is safe to give for a very short term. I do not like giving it for more than a couple of days in a row because some dogs can be sensitive to the side effects of aspirin (stomach ulcers, bleeding, kidney problems).

Of all the over the counter medicines for pain available, aspirin is usually the safest. However, if your dog has an issue with blood clotting or has any underlying kidney or stomach problems it could do harm. I almost always recommend a vet visit if a dog has muscle pain for more than 24-48 hours.

While I cannot legally advise you on administering medication (without examining your dog), there is good information on a site called www.petplace.com. There is a search engine there and you can type in aspirin and it will discuss dosing information and possible side effects.

Hopefully your dog is feeling better soon! If you can figure out which part of the leg is sore you can try placing an ice pack on it for 10 minutes at a time a few times over the day.

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (7216 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (9133 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (96820 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (8533 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (19594 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (25425 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (10341 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (11354 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (8754 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (9905 views)