Can I give my dog aspirin?

Breed: collie/shepard
Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It also is coated and I heard that wasn't good for dogs. I can't call my vet till tues, and would like to help ease the pain for her.
If not aspirin would you recommend something else?

Hi Jennifer...

Sorry to hear that Naula is not doing well!

In MOST cases aspirin is safe to give for a very short term. I do not like giving it for more than a couple of days in a row because some dogs can be sensitive to the side effects of aspirin (stomach ulcers, bleeding, kidney problems).

Of all the over the counter medicines for pain available, aspirin is usually the safest. However, if your dog has an issue with blood clotting or has any underlying kidney or stomach problems it could do harm. I almost always recommend a vet visit if a dog has muscle pain for more than 24-48 hours.

While I cannot legally advise you on administering medication (without examining your dog), there is good information on a site called www.petplace.com. There is a search engine there and you can type in aspirin and it will discuss dosing information and possible side effects.

Hopefully your dog is feeling better soon! If you can figure out which part of the leg is sore you can try placing an ice pack on it for 10 minutes at a time a few times over the day.

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (7975 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (12554 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (6212 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (29523 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (46231 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (25610 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (30126 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (47403 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (16145 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (9689 views)