Can I give my dog aspirin?

Breed: collie/shepard
Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It also is coated and I heard that wasn't good for dogs. I can't call my vet till tues, and would like to help ease the pain for her.
If not aspirin would you recommend something else?

Hi Jennifer...

Sorry to hear that Naula is not doing well!

In MOST cases aspirin is safe to give for a very short term. I do not like giving it for more than a couple of days in a row because some dogs can be sensitive to the side effects of aspirin (stomach ulcers, bleeding, kidney problems).

Of all the over the counter medicines for pain available, aspirin is usually the safest. However, if your dog has an issue with blood clotting or has any underlying kidney or stomach problems it could do harm. I almost always recommend a vet visit if a dog has muscle pain for more than 24-48 hours.

While I cannot legally advise you on administering medication (without examining your dog), there is good information on a site called www.petplace.com. There is a search engine there and you can type in aspirin and it will discuss dosing information and possible side effects.

Hopefully your dog is feeling better soon! If you can figure out which part of the leg is sore you can try placing an ice pack on it for 10 minutes at a time a few times over the day.

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8961 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (23068 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (20717 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (11087 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (15570 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (12138 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (12766 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (16515 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (9039 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (9197 views)