Can I give my dog aspirin?

Breed: collie/shepard
Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It also is coated and I heard that wasn't good for dogs. I can't call my vet till tues, and would like to help ease the pain for her.
If not aspirin would you recommend something else?

Hi Jennifer...

Sorry to hear that Naula is not doing well!

In MOST cases aspirin is safe to give for a very short term. I do not like giving it for more than a couple of days in a row because some dogs can be sensitive to the side effects of aspirin (stomach ulcers, bleeding, kidney problems).

Of all the over the counter medicines for pain available, aspirin is usually the safest. However, if your dog has an issue with blood clotting or has any underlying kidney or stomach problems it could do harm. I almost always recommend a vet visit if a dog has muscle pain for more than 24-48 hours.

While I cannot legally advise you on administering medication (without examining your dog), there is good information on a site called www.petplace.com. There is a search engine there and you can type in aspirin and it will discuss dosing information and possible side effects.

Hopefully your dog is feeling better soon! If you can figure out which part of the leg is sore you can try placing an ice pack on it for 10 minutes at a time a few times over the day.

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (6739 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (7161 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (5742 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (11992 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (41111 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (9169 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (8201 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (41958 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4350 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (14432 views)