Can I give my dog aspirin?

Breed: collie/shepard
Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It also is coated and I heard that wasn't good for dogs. I can't call my vet till tues, and would like to help ease the pain for her.
If not aspirin would you recommend something else?

Hi Jennifer...

Sorry to hear that Naula is not doing well!

In MOST cases aspirin is safe to give for a very short term. I do not like giving it for more than a couple of days in a row because some dogs can be sensitive to the side effects of aspirin (stomach ulcers, bleeding, kidney problems).

Of all the over the counter medicines for pain available, aspirin is usually the safest. However, if your dog has an issue with blood clotting or has any underlying kidney or stomach problems it could do harm. I almost always recommend a vet visit if a dog has muscle pain for more than 24-48 hours.

While I cannot legally advise you on administering medication (without examining your dog), there is good information on a site called www.petplace.com. There is a search engine there and you can type in aspirin and it will discuss dosing information and possible side effects.

Hopefully your dog is feeling better soon! If you can figure out which part of the leg is sore you can try placing an ice pack on it for 10 minutes at a time a few times over the day.

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (45873 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (19975 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6384 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (6921 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (7599 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11146 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (10403 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (21369 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (8086 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (6727 views)