Hamster biting leg

Breed: Dwaf
Hi
Iam a newbe to the whole dwaf hamster thing so I have this six week year old Russian dwaf hamster and it keeps biting it's leg!!

Iam realy worrid what is wrong with him I'll do anything
from jasmin ( a worrid owner)

Sorry to hear that little Sprog is having a problem.

This will be tough to answer without actually examining him.

Do you see any lesions on the leg where he is biting? If so, it may be that he has a skin infection or an abscess. This is common if he is housed with other hamsters, but can happen to any hamster.

Is he walking on the leg? It's possible that he has fractured his leg and he is biting at it because of pain.

It's also possible that he has something called demodex which are mites which can cause itchiness.

While it is possible for hamster to bite a particular area on his body because of boredom, there usually is an underlying medical cause.

I would definitely recommend a visit to a hamster vet.

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (14976 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (19296 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (5457 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (10469 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8061 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15619 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (6402 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10691 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7558 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (16192 views)