Did convenia cause death?

Breed: Domestic shorthair
Dear Dr. Marie,
My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of Convenia. My query is should this newer medication be given to a 17 year old cat who is already in distress. She received the shot one week ago Monday, along with a script for mirtazapine to stimulate her appetite and began to become lame from that same evening. I, foolishly, thought her hind leg was sore from a blood draw the vet had done even though I told her I wouldn't be able to submit it due to the fact both my husband & I have been laid-off during the last few years and have no health coverage for ourselves and couldn't pay for it right now. I was told she was dehydrated and she received a subq treatment. She hadn't eaten in 3 days but was still drinking on her own. I keep finding articles where it is claimed that this drug causes anemia. This would explain the total loss of mobility which occured by this Sunday. It worsened each day and progressed to the front limbs. The vet claimed she had no incidence with this drug but I couldn't afford to bring her back in and she died in my arms early this past Monday morning. She tried to drink on her own all week but by Sunday I was using the syringe to give her fluids, which she did drink. I wish now that she had been given an oral antibiotic that I could have given to her each day. I was never asked. How could she have made such a drastic change within 6 hours upon returning home from the vet's visit. She looked zoned out at times. Until she vomited on the Friday morning she was her usual self; leaping across me from the sofa arm to an arm's length away like a furry little gazelle. What happened is all I think about now.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Convenia is a very safe drug and it is extremely unlikely that it contributed to Espresso's death. It sounds like she was quite unwell when she went to see the vet.

Yes, Convenia is a new medication but its safety profile is good.

I'm very sorry that Espresso passed away.

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (13804 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (30818 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (12282 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (22129 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (21669 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6592 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (7364 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5382 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (9015 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (16004 views)