Did convenia cause death?

Breed: Domestic shorthair
Dear Dr. Marie,
My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of Convenia. My query is should this newer medication be given to a 17 year old cat who is already in distress. She received the shot one week ago Monday, along with a script for mirtazapine to stimulate her appetite and began to become lame from that same evening. I, foolishly, thought her hind leg was sore from a blood draw the vet had done even though I told her I wouldn't be able to submit it due to the fact both my husband & I have been laid-off during the last few years and have no health coverage for ourselves and couldn't pay for it right now. I was told she was dehydrated and she received a subq treatment. She hadn't eaten in 3 days but was still drinking on her own. I keep finding articles where it is claimed that this drug causes anemia. This would explain the total loss of mobility which occured by this Sunday. It worsened each day and progressed to the front limbs. The vet claimed she had no incidence with this drug but I couldn't afford to bring her back in and she died in my arms early this past Monday morning. She tried to drink on her own all week but by Sunday I was using the syringe to give her fluids, which she did drink. I wish now that she had been given an oral antibiotic that I could have given to her each day. I was never asked. How could she have made such a drastic change within 6 hours upon returning home from the vet's visit. She looked zoned out at times. Until she vomited on the Friday morning she was her usual self; leaping across me from the sofa arm to an arm's length away like a furry little gazelle. What happened is all I think about now.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Convenia is a very safe drug and it is extremely unlikely that it contributed to Espresso's death. It sounds like she was quite unwell when she went to see the vet.

Yes, Convenia is a new medication but its safety profile is good.

I'm very sorry that Espresso passed away.

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (4049 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8228 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (11398 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (10250 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (5365 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (10659 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (9830 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (38498 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6083 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8034 views)