Did convenia cause death?

Breed: Domestic shorthair
Dear Dr. Marie,
My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of Convenia. My query is should this newer medication be given to a 17 year old cat who is already in distress. She received the shot one week ago Monday, along with a script for mirtazapine to stimulate her appetite and began to become lame from that same evening. I, foolishly, thought her hind leg was sore from a blood draw the vet had done even though I told her I wouldn't be able to submit it due to the fact both my husband & I have been laid-off during the last few years and have no health coverage for ourselves and couldn't pay for it right now. I was told she was dehydrated and she received a subq treatment. She hadn't eaten in 3 days but was still drinking on her own. I keep finding articles where it is claimed that this drug causes anemia. This would explain the total loss of mobility which occured by this Sunday. It worsened each day and progressed to the front limbs. The vet claimed she had no incidence with this drug but I couldn't afford to bring her back in and she died in my arms early this past Monday morning. She tried to drink on her own all week but by Sunday I was using the syringe to give her fluids, which she did drink. I wish now that she had been given an oral antibiotic that I could have given to her each day. I was never asked. How could she have made such a drastic change within 6 hours upon returning home from the vet's visit. She looked zoned out at times. Until she vomited on the Friday morning she was her usual self; leaping across me from the sofa arm to an arm's length away like a furry little gazelle. What happened is all I think about now.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Convenia is a very safe drug and it is extremely unlikely that it contributed to Espresso's death. It sounds like she was quite unwell when she went to see the vet.

Yes, Convenia is a new medication but its safety profile is good.

I'm very sorry that Espresso passed away.

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9129 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (24970 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (11419 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (20468 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (14190 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (40087 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (20925 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (7956 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (6469 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (19599 views)