Did convenia cause death?

Breed: Domestic shorthair
Dear Dr. Marie,
My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of Convenia. My query is should this newer medication be given to a 17 year old cat who is already in distress. She received the shot one week ago Monday, along with a script for mirtazapine to stimulate her appetite and began to become lame from that same evening. I, foolishly, thought her hind leg was sore from a blood draw the vet had done even though I told her I wouldn't be able to submit it due to the fact both my husband & I have been laid-off during the last few years and have no health coverage for ourselves and couldn't pay for it right now. I was told she was dehydrated and she received a subq treatment. She hadn't eaten in 3 days but was still drinking on her own. I keep finding articles where it is claimed that this drug causes anemia. This would explain the total loss of mobility which occured by this Sunday. It worsened each day and progressed to the front limbs. The vet claimed she had no incidence with this drug but I couldn't afford to bring her back in and she died in my arms early this past Monday morning. She tried to drink on her own all week but by Sunday I was using the syringe to give her fluids, which she did drink. I wish now that she had been given an oral antibiotic that I could have given to her each day. I was never asked. How could she have made such a drastic change within 6 hours upon returning home from the vet's visit. She looked zoned out at times. Until she vomited on the Friday morning she was her usual self; leaping across me from the sofa arm to an arm's length away like a furry little gazelle. What happened is all I think about now.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Convenia is a very safe drug and it is extremely unlikely that it contributed to Espresso's death. It sounds like she was quite unwell when she went to see the vet.

Yes, Convenia is a new medication but its safety profile is good.

I'm very sorry that Espresso passed away.

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (6345 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (12741 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (33028 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (102128 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (7861 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (26460 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (37865 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (11443 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (8491 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (30048 views)