Sneezing cat.

Breed: Feral
We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2 years old and is a very happy indoor cat now. However, she sneezes alot. We have taken her to the vet and she has been spayed and had all of her shots. He has treated her for tapeworms and given her oral and 2 shots of antibiotics (over the course of several visits)but if anything it merely seems to slow it down some. I don't want to keep taking her to the vet (as she HATES the cage) if there is nothing wrong with her. She eats fine and is very active. The sneezing (often followed by a large hard discharge) doesn't seem to bother her and she has no other symptoms (water eyes, heavy breathing, vomiting, etc..) I have heard that she has allergies and one options that seems to help is Lysine?

Thanks for your question.

I have a few patients that are chronic sneezers and it's often hard to know why. My general rule of thumb is that if the cat is eating well and happy then I don't do too much. If you are seeing the the discharge is becoming a thick yellow or green color though, then there may be infection and she may need antibiotics.

It's possible that Kolley picked up an upper respiratory tract virus when she was little. Some cats who do this can have chronic respiratory problems for the rest of their lives. For these cats, giving lysine daily can actually help the body to fight off the virus. (If you want to buy lysine online, here is one place that I find to have good prices.

This is unlikely to be allergies. When cats have allergies they usually tend to get skin problems rather than sneezing.

Another possibility is if she has something stuck up her nose. The problem is though that this is often really difficult to find. A cat's nostrils are really really small.

In my experience though this is usually due to chronic viral problems. So, I usually recommend the lysine daily and periodic antibiotics if the symptoms are getting severe.

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9069 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (19670 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (7740 views)

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (7920 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (16951 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (14459 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (16077 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (10424 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (7338 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (11150 views)