Sneezing cat.

Breed: Feral
We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2 years old and is a very happy indoor cat now. However, she sneezes alot. We have taken her to the vet and she has been spayed and had all of her shots. He has treated her for tapeworms and given her oral and 2 shots of antibiotics (over the course of several visits)but if anything it merely seems to slow it down some. I don't want to keep taking her to the vet (as she HATES the cage) if there is nothing wrong with her. She eats fine and is very active. The sneezing (often followed by a large hard discharge) doesn't seem to bother her and she has no other symptoms (water eyes, heavy breathing, vomiting, etc..) I have heard that she has allergies and one options that seems to help is Lysine?

Thanks for your question.

I have a few patients that are chronic sneezers and it's often hard to know why. My general rule of thumb is that if the cat is eating well and happy then I don't do too much. If you are seeing the the discharge is becoming a thick yellow or green color though, then there may be infection and she may need antibiotics.

It's possible that Kolley picked up an upper respiratory tract virus when she was little. Some cats who do this can have chronic respiratory problems for the rest of their lives. For these cats, giving lysine daily can actually help the body to fight off the virus. (If you want to buy lysine online, here is one place that I find to have good prices.

This is unlikely to be allergies. When cats have allergies they usually tend to get skin problems rather than sneezing.

Another possibility is if she has something stuck up her nose. The problem is though that this is often really difficult to find. A cat's nostrils are really really small.

In my experience though this is usually due to chronic viral problems. So, I usually recommend the lysine daily and periodic antibiotics if the symptoms are getting severe.

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (20083 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (10661 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8329 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5431 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (9273 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (14381 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (24724 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (21701 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (5978 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (6771 views)