Sneezing cat.

Breed: Feral
We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2 years old and is a very happy indoor cat now. However, she sneezes alot. We have taken her to the vet and she has been spayed and had all of her shots. He has treated her for tapeworms and given her oral and 2 shots of antibiotics (over the course of several visits)but if anything it merely seems to slow it down some. I don't want to keep taking her to the vet (as she HATES the cage) if there is nothing wrong with her. She eats fine and is very active. The sneezing (often followed by a large hard discharge) doesn't seem to bother her and she has no other symptoms (water eyes, heavy breathing, vomiting, etc..) I have heard that she has allergies and one options that seems to help is Lysine?

Thanks for your question.

I have a few patients that are chronic sneezers and it's often hard to know why. My general rule of thumb is that if the cat is eating well and happy then I don't do too much. If you are seeing the the discharge is becoming a thick yellow or green color though, then there may be infection and she may need antibiotics.

It's possible that Kolley picked up an upper respiratory tract virus when she was little. Some cats who do this can have chronic respiratory problems for the rest of their lives. For these cats, giving lysine daily can actually help the body to fight off the virus. (If you want to buy lysine online, here is one place that I find to have good prices.

This is unlikely to be allergies. When cats have allergies they usually tend to get skin problems rather than sneezing.

Another possibility is if she has something stuck up her nose. The problem is though that this is often really difficult to find. A cat's nostrils are really really small.

In my experience though this is usually due to chronic viral problems. So, I usually recommend the lysine daily and periodic antibiotics if the symptoms are getting severe.

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (10479 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (11172 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (16208 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (22501 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (16987 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (11028 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (12106 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (55016 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (9080 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (19881 views)