Sneezing cat.

Breed: Feral
We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2 years old and is a very happy indoor cat now. However, she sneezes alot. We have taken her to the vet and she has been spayed and had all of her shots. He has treated her for tapeworms and given her oral and 2 shots of antibiotics (over the course of several visits)but if anything it merely seems to slow it down some. I don't want to keep taking her to the vet (as she HATES the cage) if there is nothing wrong with her. She eats fine and is very active. The sneezing (often followed by a large hard discharge) doesn't seem to bother her and she has no other symptoms (water eyes, heavy breathing, vomiting, etc..) I have heard that she has allergies and one options that seems to help is Lysine?

Thanks for your question.

I have a few patients that are chronic sneezers and it's often hard to know why. My general rule of thumb is that if the cat is eating well and happy then I don't do too much. If you are seeing the the discharge is becoming a thick yellow or green color though, then there may be infection and she may need antibiotics.

It's possible that Kolley picked up an upper respiratory tract virus when she was little. Some cats who do this can have chronic respiratory problems for the rest of their lives. For these cats, giving lysine daily can actually help the body to fight off the virus. (If you want to buy lysine online, here is one place that I find to have good prices.

This is unlikely to be allergies. When cats have allergies they usually tend to get skin problems rather than sneezing.

Another possibility is if she has something stuck up her nose. The problem is though that this is often really difficult to find. A cat's nostrils are really really small.

In my experience though this is usually due to chronic viral problems. So, I usually recommend the lysine daily and periodic antibiotics if the symptoms are getting severe.

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6217 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7739 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (6941 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (28265 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (8634 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (102221 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (34849 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (20957 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (26900 views)

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (5920 views)