Sneezing cat.

Breed: Feral
We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2 years old and is a very happy indoor cat now. However, she sneezes alot. We have taken her to the vet and she has been spayed and had all of her shots. He has treated her for tapeworms and given her oral and 2 shots of antibiotics (over the course of several visits)but if anything it merely seems to slow it down some. I don't want to keep taking her to the vet (as she HATES the cage) if there is nothing wrong with her. She eats fine and is very active. The sneezing (often followed by a large hard discharge) doesn't seem to bother her and she has no other symptoms (water eyes, heavy breathing, vomiting, etc..) I have heard that she has allergies and one options that seems to help is Lysine?

Thanks for your question.

I have a few patients that are chronic sneezers and it's often hard to know why. My general rule of thumb is that if the cat is eating well and happy then I don't do too much. If you are seeing the the discharge is becoming a thick yellow or green color though, then there may be infection and she may need antibiotics.

It's possible that Kolley picked up an upper respiratory tract virus when she was little. Some cats who do this can have chronic respiratory problems for the rest of their lives. For these cats, giving lysine daily can actually help the body to fight off the virus. (If you want to buy lysine online, here is one place that I find to have good prices.

This is unlikely to be allergies. When cats have allergies they usually tend to get skin problems rather than sneezing.

Another possibility is if she has something stuck up her nose. The problem is though that this is often really difficult to find. A cat's nostrils are really really small.

In my experience though this is usually due to chronic viral problems. So, I usually recommend the lysine daily and periodic antibiotics if the symptoms are getting severe.

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4802 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (11869 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (16506 views)

Cat is whiney when peeing my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the... (6865 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (13638 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (20621 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (29060 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8978 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (4817 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (10934 views)