Heart murmur in puppy.

Breed: Chihuahua
Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's probably difficult to tell anything from this, because it was just recorded with a little hand held recorder - not a stethoscope - but her heart beats so hard and loud that it was easy to pick up on it.

I took this baby in as a rescue when the previous owner stated that the breeder's vet said that the pup has a severe heart murmur and rapid heart rate - - but she claimed to not know much about heart conditions and said the pup needed to see a cardiologist and would likely need surgery.

Before I spend 690.00 for an echocardiogram, I'm just hoping for a quick second opinion. (again, I know that's likely impossible to provide, given the situation - but please let me know your thoughts).

I used the same recorder to record the heartbeat of my own Chihuahua who, although older, at 4 years - is about the same size as the pup - her recording gave me a very soft, quiet 132 bpm.

Here is the link to the sound clip of the pup's heartbeat. (15 second clip - 60 beats, equates to 240 bmp, am I correct?)

http://elizabethhart.com/marilynsheartrate8.17.12.mp3

I have to say this is the first time someone has given me an audio clip to interpret online!

Unfortunately, it's really hard to hear whether or not there is a murmur here.

I'm not too worried about the rate....Yes, it is faster than normal, but I don't usually get too stressed about that.

The main concern is whether or not there is a murmur and you really need a good stethoscope in order to hear that.

My guess is, that if the breeder has said that her vet has heard a severe murmur then there really is one there. There would be no reason for a breeder to falsify that kind of information. We grade murmurs on a scale of 1-6 with 6 being the most severe. Did she give you a number?

If a dog has a grade 1 or 2 murmur as a pup it can often go away as the puppy matures. But, higher than that usually means that there is a heart problem.

Some heart problems are potentially treatable but if there is a severe murmur in a young dog like this then we have to be prepared that little Marilyn may not live a long life. (With that being said, I have seen dogs with very obvious murmurs that have defied the odds and lived to an old age.)

Unfortunately the only way to know what is going on with this heart will be to have an ultrasound (also called an echocardiogram) done. You will likely need to be referred to someone through your veterinarian. Before you make the appointment with the ultrasonographer, be sure to ask if they are comfortable doing this on such a small dog. It may be a difficult thing to do!

The ultrasound really should tell you why a murmur is there. A murmur means that there is a disturbance in the way that blood flows in the heart. It could be that a valve is defective, or that there is a hole in the septum (i.e. in the middle of the heart) or many other things. Once you get the diagnosis, then the ultrasonographer will tell you what kind of life expectancy or problems you can expect.

On a happy note, I saw a kitten a few months ago with an extremely loud murmur. We had a specialist ultrasound her heart and she had a tiny septal defect (a hole in her heart). The prognosis was excellent and she should live a full life.

I hope that helps and I really hope the diagnosis is a good one!

Thank you so much Dr. Marie, for your detailed and prompt response!

I do appreciate your insight and will go ahead with getting little Marilyn in with our vet for referral to the specialty hospital here for the echocardiogram as soon as possible.

The previous owner said that her vet did not know enough about heart conditions to give the murmur a "rating" or a "grade"... (I wish she had, perhaps I'd have been a little less hesitant to proceed with the ultrasound if I knew for certain that she had a low grade murmur that we could take the "wait and see" approach with.)

Again, I thank you for your time - now that I've found you here, you're likely to hear from me (and a few hundred of our Facebook friends - haha) in the future!

A wonderful service you provide!!

All the best,

~ Elizabeth
http://elizabethhart.com/friendsofemma.htm
https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfEmmaCleftPalateChihuahua

You're very welcome! And thanks for the recommendation.

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (6799 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (14584 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (9111 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10947 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (9507 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (11778 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (10106 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11798 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (30492 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (12522 views)