Heart murmur in puppy.

Breed: Chihuahua
Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's probably difficult to tell anything from this, because it was just recorded with a little hand held recorder - not a stethoscope - but her heart beats so hard and loud that it was easy to pick up on it.

I took this baby in as a rescue when the previous owner stated that the breeder's vet said that the pup has a severe heart murmur and rapid heart rate - - but she claimed to not know much about heart conditions and said the pup needed to see a cardiologist and would likely need surgery.

Before I spend 690.00 for an echocardiogram, I'm just hoping for a quick second opinion. (again, I know that's likely impossible to provide, given the situation - but please let me know your thoughts).

I used the same recorder to record the heartbeat of my own Chihuahua who, although older, at 4 years - is about the same size as the pup - her recording gave me a very soft, quiet 132 bpm.

Here is the link to the sound clip of the pup's heartbeat. (15 second clip - 60 beats, equates to 240 bmp, am I correct?)

http://elizabethhart.com/marilynsheartrate8.17.12.mp3

I have to say this is the first time someone has given me an audio clip to interpret online!

Unfortunately, it's really hard to hear whether or not there is a murmur here.

I'm not too worried about the rate....Yes, it is faster than normal, but I don't usually get too stressed about that.

The main concern is whether or not there is a murmur and you really need a good stethoscope in order to hear that.

My guess is, that if the breeder has said that her vet has heard a severe murmur then there really is one there. There would be no reason for a breeder to falsify that kind of information. We grade murmurs on a scale of 1-6 with 6 being the most severe. Did she give you a number?

If a dog has a grade 1 or 2 murmur as a pup it can often go away as the puppy matures. But, higher than that usually means that there is a heart problem.

Some heart problems are potentially treatable but if there is a severe murmur in a young dog like this then we have to be prepared that little Marilyn may not live a long life. (With that being said, I have seen dogs with very obvious murmurs that have defied the odds and lived to an old age.)

Unfortunately the only way to know what is going on with this heart will be to have an ultrasound (also called an echocardiogram) done. You will likely need to be referred to someone through your veterinarian. Before you make the appointment with the ultrasonographer, be sure to ask if they are comfortable doing this on such a small dog. It may be a difficult thing to do!

The ultrasound really should tell you why a murmur is there. A murmur means that there is a disturbance in the way that blood flows in the heart. It could be that a valve is defective, or that there is a hole in the septum (i.e. in the middle of the heart) or many other things. Once you get the diagnosis, then the ultrasonographer will tell you what kind of life expectancy or problems you can expect.

On a happy note, I saw a kitten a few months ago with an extremely loud murmur. We had a specialist ultrasound her heart and she had a tiny septal defect (a hole in her heart). The prognosis was excellent and she should live a full life.

I hope that helps and I really hope the diagnosis is a good one!

Thank you so much Dr. Marie, for your detailed and prompt response!

I do appreciate your insight and will go ahead with getting little Marilyn in with our vet for referral to the specialty hospital here for the echocardiogram as soon as possible.

The previous owner said that her vet did not know enough about heart conditions to give the murmur a "rating" or a "grade"... (I wish she had, perhaps I'd have been a little less hesitant to proceed with the ultrasound if I knew for certain that she had a low grade murmur that we could take the "wait and see" approach with.)

Again, I thank you for your time - now that I've found you here, you're likely to hear from me (and a few hundred of our Facebook friends - haha) in the future!

A wonderful service you provide!!

All the best,

~ Elizabeth
http://elizabethhart.com/friendsofemma.htm
https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfEmmaCleftPalateChihuahua

You're very welcome! And thanks for the recommendation.

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (6613 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (21902 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (7689 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (28295 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (20778 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (11995 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (4464 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (159683 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (7235 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (7316 views)