MacuGuard Ocular Support

Breed: Poodle Toy
My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as recommended by her vet, because she’s a little overweight. She is also taking Dasuquin with MSM (by Nutramax), Canine Plus Senior (by Vetri-Science), and Omega 3 6 9 (by Vetri-Science), as recommended by a different vet. For the past years we noticed her eyes were getting cloudy, we took her to the vet and she said it was a normal aging condition, no signs of cataract, and that there was nothing we could do to reverse this. But after an online search, I started giving her MacuGuard with Astaxanthin (by Life Extension), a supplement for humans that seemed to also help dogs. Since I started giving my dog the MacuGuard (1 softgel per day), we noticed her eyes are not as cloudy as they used to be, and we assumed the supplement was working. But now I’ve came across some conflicting information. Some people say that black currants may be toxic to dogs. Researching online, I found out something like “American currants are raisings and thu, toxic, while European currants are berries and actually very healthy to a dog.” Indeed, I found that some dry foods have black currant in their formulas. Is this accurate? I didn’t want to stop giving her the supplement as I noticed an improvement in the color of her eyes, but I am afraid the supplement, which uses European black currant extract, may cause her any harm. Also, the dosage I am giving (one softgel a day for a 16lbs dog) may be too much?
Thanks in advance, below you can find the supplement facts:

MacuGuard™ Ocular Support with Astaxanthin

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item01886/MacuGuard-Ocular-Support-with-Astaxanthin.html?source=search&key=macuguard

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 softgel
Servings Per Container 60
Amount Per Serving

MacuGuard™ Carotenoid Phospholipid Blend Phospholipids, marigold extract (flower) [providing 10 mg free lutein, 4 mg meso-zeaxanthin & trans-zeaxanthin]
145 mg

Natural Astaxanthin (from CO2 extract of Haematococcus pluvialis algae)
6 mg

C3G (Cyanidin-3-glucoside) [from European black currant extract (fruit)]
2.2 mg

Other ingredients: soy lecithin, gelatin, safflower oil, extra virgin olive oil, glycerin, sunflower oil, soy fatty acids, purified water, beeswax, potato maltodextrin, annatto color.

If this were my patient I would not be recommending using this supplement. There are a few reasons for this.

The first is that the symptoms that your dog has are not the ones that this medication is meant to treat. It is meant for humans who have a condition called macular degeneration. The macula is a part of the eye that sits on the retina at the back of the eye. You can't see it when you are looking at your dog's eyes. If you are seeing a cloudiness then it is not the macula that you are seeing. It is likely that your dog has a very benign condition called nuclear sclerosis. It's quite common, not painful, and if there is any vision loss associated with it it's really minor.

In my opinion, if there was improvement in the cloudiness of the eyes, it would not be because of this medication.

I did a thorough search of medical research articles and I couldn't find any that show that this type of medication can be effective in dogs.

There are thousands of supplements and miracle cures out there that have loads of online testimonials but very little proof. My thought is that if one of these supplements really did work, then one of the major pharmaceutical companies would take note of this fact and develop it into a product that they can make big profit on. Because nuclear sclerosis (cloudiness in the eyes) is really common, if there was a product that actually worked to clear it up, vets all over the place would be recommending it and selling it.

So, with all of that being said, I'll answer your question about the European currant extract that is in the product. European currants are not based on grapes and as such are not toxic. But, US currants are grape based and can be toxic.

Most likely this product is not harmful, although we can't say for sure as no canine studies have been done.

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (27564 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (7626 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (12314 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (10042 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (7328 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5571 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (12827 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (90612 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (13564 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (8630 views)