MacuGuard Ocular Support

Breed: Poodle Toy
My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as recommended by her vet, because she’s a little overweight. She is also taking Dasuquin with MSM (by Nutramax), Canine Plus Senior (by Vetri-Science), and Omega 3 6 9 (by Vetri-Science), as recommended by a different vet. For the past years we noticed her eyes were getting cloudy, we took her to the vet and she said it was a normal aging condition, no signs of cataract, and that there was nothing we could do to reverse this. But after an online search, I started giving her MacuGuard with Astaxanthin (by Life Extension), a supplement for humans that seemed to also help dogs. Since I started giving my dog the MacuGuard (1 softgel per day), we noticed her eyes are not as cloudy as they used to be, and we assumed the supplement was working. But now I’ve came across some conflicting information. Some people say that black currants may be toxic to dogs. Researching online, I found out something like “American currants are raisings and thu, toxic, while European currants are berries and actually very healthy to a dog.” Indeed, I found that some dry foods have black currant in their formulas. Is this accurate? I didn’t want to stop giving her the supplement as I noticed an improvement in the color of her eyes, but I am afraid the supplement, which uses European black currant extract, may cause her any harm. Also, the dosage I am giving (one softgel a day for a 16lbs dog) may be too much?
Thanks in advance, below you can find the supplement facts:

MacuGuard™ Ocular Support with Astaxanthin

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item01886/MacuGuard-Ocular-Support-with-Astaxanthin.html?source=search&key=macuguard

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 softgel
Servings Per Container 60
Amount Per Serving

MacuGuard™ Carotenoid Phospholipid Blend Phospholipids, marigold extract (flower) [providing 10 mg free lutein, 4 mg meso-zeaxanthin & trans-zeaxanthin]
145 mg

Natural Astaxanthin (from CO2 extract of Haematococcus pluvialis algae)
6 mg

C3G (Cyanidin-3-glucoside) [from European black currant extract (fruit)]
2.2 mg

Other ingredients: soy lecithin, gelatin, safflower oil, extra virgin olive oil, glycerin, sunflower oil, soy fatty acids, purified water, beeswax, potato maltodextrin, annatto color.

If this were my patient I would not be recommending using this supplement. There are a few reasons for this.

The first is that the symptoms that your dog has are not the ones that this medication is meant to treat. It is meant for humans who have a condition called macular degeneration. The macula is a part of the eye that sits on the retina at the back of the eye. You can't see it when you are looking at your dog's eyes. If you are seeing a cloudiness then it is not the macula that you are seeing. It is likely that your dog has a very benign condition called nuclear sclerosis. It's quite common, not painful, and if there is any vision loss associated with it it's really minor.

In my opinion, if there was improvement in the cloudiness of the eyes, it would not be because of this medication.

I did a thorough search of medical research articles and I couldn't find any that show that this type of medication can be effective in dogs.

There are thousands of supplements and miracle cures out there that have loads of online testimonials but very little proof. My thought is that if one of these supplements really did work, then one of the major pharmaceutical companies would take note of this fact and develop it into a product that they can make big profit on. Because nuclear sclerosis (cloudiness in the eyes) is really common, if there was a product that actually worked to clear it up, vets all over the place would be recommending it and selling it.

So, with all of that being said, I'll answer your question about the European currant extract that is in the product. European currants are not based on grapes and as such are not toxic. But, US currants are grape based and can be toxic.

Most likely this product is not harmful, although we can't say for sure as no canine studies have been done.

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10557 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10100 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (11799 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (9853 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (4833 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (9839 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11496 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (14500 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7574 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (19748 views)