Patches of hair loss on snout.

Breed: Labrador Retriever
Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of her snout. It's about a quarter size big and looks more like hair thinning. There's no redness on the skin or any sign of a scratch or anything of that nature. Within the last 5 months, we've switched her food from Iams Proactive Health to Natural Choice to Avoderm now. Could it be an allergy? It doesn't seem to bother her at all and is not very noticeable.

thanks.

Thanks for your question.

This is unlikely to be caused by an allergy.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something called demodex.

Here is a picture of a dog with localized demodex:

localized demodex

However, demodex can often look different than this.

The way to diagnose demodex is to have your vet do a skin scraping. If this is demodex it is likely to be localized demodex as opposed to generalized demodex. Localized demodex is usually something that goes away on its own and doesn't need treatment.

It is also possible that this is ringworm. If the spot is growing then you may want to have your vet do a fungal culture to look for ringworm.

Or, it's possible that Penelope has received a bite wound from another dog that was not deep enough to puncture the skin but simply removed some hair.

I hope this helps!

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (12804 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (8982 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6481 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (9976 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6067 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (13231 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7686 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (108601 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10855 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5147 views)