Patches of hair loss on snout.

Breed: Labrador Retriever
Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of her snout. It's about a quarter size big and looks more like hair thinning. There's no redness on the skin or any sign of a scratch or anything of that nature. Within the last 5 months, we've switched her food from Iams Proactive Health to Natural Choice to Avoderm now. Could it be an allergy? It doesn't seem to bother her at all and is not very noticeable.

thanks.

Thanks for your question.

This is unlikely to be caused by an allergy.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something called demodex.

Here is a picture of a dog with localized demodex:

localized demodex

However, demodex can often look different than this.

The way to diagnose demodex is to have your vet do a skin scraping. If this is demodex it is likely to be localized demodex as opposed to generalized demodex. Localized demodex is usually something that goes away on its own and doesn't need treatment.

It is also possible that this is ringworm. If the spot is growing then you may want to have your vet do a fungal culture to look for ringworm.

Or, it's possible that Penelope has received a bite wound from another dog that was not deep enough to puncture the skin but simply removed some hair.

I hope this helps!

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (27833 views)

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (13624 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (11947 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (16430 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (9305 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (37632 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (7320 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (6558 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (25736 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (11442 views)