Patches of hair loss on snout.

Breed: Labrador Retriever
Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of her snout. It's about a quarter size big and looks more like hair thinning. There's no redness on the skin or any sign of a scratch or anything of that nature. Within the last 5 months, we've switched her food from Iams Proactive Health to Natural Choice to Avoderm now. Could it be an allergy? It doesn't seem to bother her at all and is not very noticeable.

thanks.

Thanks for your question.

This is unlikely to be caused by an allergy.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something called demodex.

Here is a picture of a dog with localized demodex:

localized demodex

However, demodex can often look different than this.

The way to diagnose demodex is to have your vet do a skin scraping. If this is demodex it is likely to be localized demodex as opposed to generalized demodex. Localized demodex is usually something that goes away on its own and doesn't need treatment.

It is also possible that this is ringworm. If the spot is growing then you may want to have your vet do a fungal culture to look for ringworm.

Or, it's possible that Penelope has received a bite wound from another dog that was not deep enough to puncture the skin but simply removed some hair.

I hope this helps!

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (13553 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (62074 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (17786 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (18270 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (9367 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (8509 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (12790 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (20675 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (8386 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (78975 views)