Patches of hair loss on snout.

Breed: Labrador Retriever
Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of her snout. It's about a quarter size big and looks more like hair thinning. There's no redness on the skin or any sign of a scratch or anything of that nature. Within the last 5 months, we've switched her food from Iams Proactive Health to Natural Choice to Avoderm now. Could it be an allergy? It doesn't seem to bother her at all and is not very noticeable.

thanks.

Thanks for your question.

This is unlikely to be caused by an allergy.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something called demodex.

Here is a picture of a dog with localized demodex:

localized demodex

However, demodex can often look different than this.

The way to diagnose demodex is to have your vet do a skin scraping. If this is demodex it is likely to be localized demodex as opposed to generalized demodex. Localized demodex is usually something that goes away on its own and doesn't need treatment.

It is also possible that this is ringworm. If the spot is growing then you may want to have your vet do a fungal culture to look for ringworm.

Or, it's possible that Penelope has received a bite wound from another dog that was not deep enough to puncture the skin but simply removed some hair.

I hope this helps!

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (15417 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (32657 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (38049 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (14082 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (23725 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (10741 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (250873 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (13333 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (27100 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (29812 views)