Patches of hair loss on snout.

Breed: Labrador Retriever
Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of her snout. It's about a quarter size big and looks more like hair thinning. There's no redness on the skin or any sign of a scratch or anything of that nature. Within the last 5 months, we've switched her food from Iams Proactive Health to Natural Choice to Avoderm now. Could it be an allergy? It doesn't seem to bother her at all and is not very noticeable.

thanks.

Thanks for your question.

This is unlikely to be caused by an allergy.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something called demodex.

Here is a picture of a dog with localized demodex:

localized demodex

However, demodex can often look different than this.

The way to diagnose demodex is to have your vet do a skin scraping. If this is demodex it is likely to be localized demodex as opposed to generalized demodex. Localized demodex is usually something that goes away on its own and doesn't need treatment.

It is also possible that this is ringworm. If the spot is growing then you may want to have your vet do a fungal culture to look for ringworm.

Or, it's possible that Penelope has received a bite wound from another dog that was not deep enough to puncture the skin but simply removed some hair.

I hope this helps!

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (7848 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (114465 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (8036 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (7993 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7694 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (17066 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (4683 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9435 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (16714 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (16954 views)