Allergic reaction to vaccines.

Breed: Pug
He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is now swollen. My other pug had the swelling happen when she had her shots, but she didn't puke. Can I give him 25 mg of benadryl to take down the swelling? I would like to but I don't want his throat to swell up or him to stop breathing or something. Please help. Thank you.

Dogs certainly can have an allergic reaction to vaccines.

If this is a mild reaction then most vets will recommend giving benadryl. The dose is 1 mg/lb. So, if your dog weighed 25 pounds then one tablet would be good.

If you are seeing any of the following symptoms then you should head back to the vet immediately:
  • Pale gums

• Difficulty breathing

• If the dog is extremely uncomfortable

Some allergic reactions can be life threatening, so if you are unsure then it is best to call your vet right away.

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (14775 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10546 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (21018 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (6745 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (16083 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (4699 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (25388 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (20014 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (18865 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (13696 views)