Allergic reaction to vaccines.

Breed: Pug
He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is now swollen. My other pug had the swelling happen when she had her shots, but she didn't puke. Can I give him 25 mg of benadryl to take down the swelling? I would like to but I don't want his throat to swell up or him to stop breathing or something. Please help. Thank you.

Dogs certainly can have an allergic reaction to vaccines.

If this is a mild reaction then most vets will recommend giving benadryl. The dose is 1 mg/lb. So, if your dog weighed 25 pounds then one tablet would be good.

If you are seeing any of the following symptoms then you should head back to the vet immediately:
  • Pale gums

• Difficulty breathing

• If the dog is extremely uncomfortable

Some allergic reactions can be life threatening, so if you are unsure then it is best to call your vet right away.

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (28616 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (11571 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (30371 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (7135 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (10177 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8339 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (25262 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (29868 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (10263 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (85206 views)