Allergic reaction to vaccines.

Breed: Pug
He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is now swollen. My other pug had the swelling happen when she had her shots, but she didn't puke. Can I give him 25 mg of benadryl to take down the swelling? I would like to but I don't want his throat to swell up or him to stop breathing or something. Please help. Thank you.

Dogs certainly can have an allergic reaction to vaccines.

If this is a mild reaction then most vets will recommend giving benadryl. The dose is 1 mg/lb. So, if your dog weighed 25 pounds then one tablet would be good.

If you are seeing any of the following symptoms then you should head back to the vet immediately:
  • Pale gums

• Difficulty breathing

• If the dog is extremely uncomfortable

Some allergic reactions can be life threatening, so if you are unsure then it is best to call your vet right away.

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (10575 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (8941 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (19747 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (27037 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (8458 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (12296 views)

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (15656 views)

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (5222 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (5010 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (7871 views)