Allergic reaction to vaccines.

Breed: Pug
He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is now swollen. My other pug had the swelling happen when she had her shots, but she didn't puke. Can I give him 25 mg of benadryl to take down the swelling? I would like to but I don't want his throat to swell up or him to stop breathing or something. Please help. Thank you.

Dogs certainly can have an allergic reaction to vaccines.

If this is a mild reaction then most vets will recommend giving benadryl. The dose is 1 mg/lb. So, if your dog weighed 25 pounds then one tablet would be good.

If you are seeing any of the following symptoms then you should head back to the vet immediately:
  • Pale gums

• Difficulty breathing

• If the dog is extremely uncomfortable

Some allergic reactions can be life threatening, so if you are unsure then it is best to call your vet right away.

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (13042 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (19125 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (40824 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (5207 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (7078 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (34746 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (31656 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (11429 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (82039 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (160534 views)