Allergic reaction to vaccines.

Breed: Pug
He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is now swollen. My other pug had the swelling happen when she had her shots, but she didn't puke. Can I give him 25 mg of benadryl to take down the swelling? I would like to but I don't want his throat to swell up or him to stop breathing or something. Please help. Thank you.

Dogs certainly can have an allergic reaction to vaccines.

If this is a mild reaction then most vets will recommend giving benadryl. The dose is 1 mg/lb. So, if your dog weighed 25 pounds then one tablet would be good.

If you are seeing any of the following symptoms then you should head back to the vet immediately:
  • Pale gums

• Difficulty breathing

• If the dog is extremely uncomfortable

Some allergic reactions can be life threatening, so if you are unsure then it is best to call your vet right away.

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (70647 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (18419 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (19859 views)

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (20573 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (9338 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (5303 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (9023 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (15696 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (7227 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (7902 views)