Not eating, losing weight.

Breed: American Shorthair (
My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and hair loss and has been vomiting for about a year. I know she is an old cat and my other cat, whom we were told was the mother, passed away a year ago after experiencing about the sam symptoms. Is my cat dying or just sick? We have tried changing her diet to a variety of wet, dry, hard, and soft food but none show more than a little improvement upon her appetite. Please help! Thank you!

These types of symptoms almost always point to a medical problem. There are many possibilities such as kidney disease, liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease or certain cancers.

This article should give you more information:
Reasons for cats to lose weight.

I hope she can be seen soon!

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20152 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (4423 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (7495 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (48810 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (9981 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (18187 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (3571 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (6162 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7282 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5288 views)