Lump under arm of puppy.

Breed: Border Collie
We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. Two days ago we noticed a lump under his left arm in his armpit. It is about the size of a pea and a little hard. We took him to the vet today because we thought perhaps it was a lymph node and he had an infection starting. He went to the vet this morning. His temperature was 38.9C (normal) and they aspirated the lump. When she came out she said they were able to aspirate and she said it had cells in it. She would be staining it and looking at it. Would probably send it to a colleague to look at and may send it to histology. She said it was on the connective tissue not muscle. She said it was hard to get because it moved as she tried to get it. My head jumps automatically to cancer. Is there anything else it can be or is more likely to be at his age and what impact does it have being on connective tissue rather than muscle?

Thanks for your question.

It would be extremely unlikely for a lump on a 10 week old puppy to be cancer. In 13 years of practice I can't say I have ever seen a puppy that young have a cancerous lump like you have described.

Is there any chance that any of Eclipse's vaccinations were given in that spot? It is a little bit of an unusual spot, but sometimes we do give injections on the side of the chest. It's possible his was a little further forward than normal (which can happen with a squirmy puppy).

If so, then this could be something called a vaccine granuloma. Vaccine granulomas almost always go away on their own but can take a month or two to do so. The textbooks tell us that they can sometimes become cancerous but it is very very rare for this to happen.

I have seen some unusual unexplained lumps on puppies that just go away on their own as well. Some of them could be perhaps scar tissue from a bite from a sibling or some other accident.

A lymph node really should have been easy to diagnose (as the cells all look like lymphocytes) and an infection/abscess should have been easy as well.

I think it is the right thing to do to send this sample to a pathologist just to be sure, but I'm guessing the diagnosis will be one of two things:

1. Vaccine granuloma - in which case we just wait and see and it should go down in a few days to weeks.

2. Diagnosis open - The pathologist may say, "Hmmm....I really don't know what this is but it's not likely to be anything to worry about."

Hopefully you will get some results soon but I will be absolutely shocked if this is cancer.

Thank you for the information :)

He had Lyme disease vaccine in his right leg and the Distemper, Parvo, etc. in his left leg.

If it was the back leg, then it's not likely to be a vaccine granuloma. But some random scar tissue is still possible.

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (7969 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (53768 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (22494 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (15959 views)

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (5893 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (20132 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (5281 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9074 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (14307 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (41613 views)