Lump under arm of puppy.

Breed: Border Collie
We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. Two days ago we noticed a lump under his left arm in his armpit. It is about the size of a pea and a little hard. We took him to the vet today because we thought perhaps it was a lymph node and he had an infection starting. He went to the vet this morning. His temperature was 38.9C (normal) and they aspirated the lump. When she came out she said they were able to aspirate and she said it had cells in it. She would be staining it and looking at it. Would probably send it to a colleague to look at and may send it to histology. She said it was on the connective tissue not muscle. She said it was hard to get because it moved as she tried to get it. My head jumps automatically to cancer. Is there anything else it can be or is more likely to be at his age and what impact does it have being on connective tissue rather than muscle?

Thanks for your question.

It would be extremely unlikely for a lump on a 10 week old puppy to be cancer. In 13 years of practice I can't say I have ever seen a puppy that young have a cancerous lump like you have described.

Is there any chance that any of Eclipse's vaccinations were given in that spot? It is a little bit of an unusual spot, but sometimes we do give injections on the side of the chest. It's possible his was a little further forward than normal (which can happen with a squirmy puppy).

If so, then this could be something called a vaccine granuloma. Vaccine granulomas almost always go away on their own but can take a month or two to do so. The textbooks tell us that they can sometimes become cancerous but it is very very rare for this to happen.

I have seen some unusual unexplained lumps on puppies that just go away on their own as well. Some of them could be perhaps scar tissue from a bite from a sibling or some other accident.

A lymph node really should have been easy to diagnose (as the cells all look like lymphocytes) and an infection/abscess should have been easy as well.

I think it is the right thing to do to send this sample to a pathologist just to be sure, but I'm guessing the diagnosis will be one of two things:

1. Vaccine granuloma - in which case we just wait and see and it should go down in a few days to weeks.

2. Diagnosis open - The pathologist may say, "Hmmm....I really don't know what this is but it's not likely to be anything to worry about."

Hopefully you will get some results soon but I will be absolutely shocked if this is cancer.

Thank you for the information :)

He had Lyme disease vaccine in his right leg and the Distemper, Parvo, etc. in his left leg.

If it was the back leg, then it's not likely to be a vaccine granuloma. But some random scar tissue is still possible.

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (15648 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (43347 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (23878 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (11208 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (23889 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (17219 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (8754 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (12309 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (8789 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (9375 views)