Lump under arm of puppy.

Breed: Border Collie
We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. Two days ago we noticed a lump under his left arm in his armpit. It is about the size of a pea and a little hard. We took him to the vet today because we thought perhaps it was a lymph node and he had an infection starting. He went to the vet this morning. His temperature was 38.9C (normal) and they aspirated the lump. When she came out she said they were able to aspirate and she said it had cells in it. She would be staining it and looking at it. Would probably send it to a colleague to look at and may send it to histology. She said it was on the connective tissue not muscle. She said it was hard to get because it moved as she tried to get it. My head jumps automatically to cancer. Is there anything else it can be or is more likely to be at his age and what impact does it have being on connective tissue rather than muscle?

Thanks for your question.

It would be extremely unlikely for a lump on a 10 week old puppy to be cancer. In 13 years of practice I can't say I have ever seen a puppy that young have a cancerous lump like you have described.

Is there any chance that any of Eclipse's vaccinations were given in that spot? It is a little bit of an unusual spot, but sometimes we do give injections on the side of the chest. It's possible his was a little further forward than normal (which can happen with a squirmy puppy).

If so, then this could be something called a vaccine granuloma. Vaccine granulomas almost always go away on their own but can take a month or two to do so. The textbooks tell us that they can sometimes become cancerous but it is very very rare for this to happen.

I have seen some unusual unexplained lumps on puppies that just go away on their own as well. Some of them could be perhaps scar tissue from a bite from a sibling or some other accident.

A lymph node really should have been easy to diagnose (as the cells all look like lymphocytes) and an infection/abscess should have been easy as well.

I think it is the right thing to do to send this sample to a pathologist just to be sure, but I'm guessing the diagnosis will be one of two things:

1. Vaccine granuloma - in which case we just wait and see and it should go down in a few days to weeks.

2. Diagnosis open - The pathologist may say, "Hmmm....I really don't know what this is but it's not likely to be anything to worry about."

Hopefully you will get some results soon but I will be absolutely shocked if this is cancer.

Thank you for the information :)

He had Lyme disease vaccine in his right leg and the Distemper, Parvo, etc. in his left leg.

If it was the back leg, then it's not likely to be a vaccine granuloma. But some random scar tissue is still possible.

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (4193 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (9300 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (5279 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (16916 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (11409 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (5423 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (5999 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (13936 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (4973 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (8282 views)