Papaya leaf extract for cancer?

Breed: GSD
Hi,
Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. Turns out it is cancer and my vet said he has about two months. Since chemo doesn't really cure it or put it in remission I don't want to put him though that.. She put him on piroxicam that might slow the cancer growth. I've heard about papaya leaf extract helping with cancer and would like to try it for him but could he take that while on the piroxicam? And can dogs have papaya? I don't want to make him worse.
Thank you.

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Jacob and his spleen. Some spleen tumors can be benign but when we see one that is cancerous then even with chemo dogs don't tend to live very long.

Piroxicam is an anti-inflammatory drug. We do know that it has some sort of effect against some types of tumors such as the bladder tumor called transitional cell carcinoma. While Piroxicam is not a chemotherapy, it does help somewhat to help slow down the progression of some cancers.

I spent a fair amount of time researching papaya leaf extract for you. I have to tell you that it is not something that I have heard of being used in veterinary medicine. There is almost nothing in the veterinary references that I go to about using papaya leaf extract for cancer. I did a thorough search on Veterinary Information Network (VIN) to see if any of the herbal/homeopathic vets were talking about it and none were. Usually if there is a supplement that is going to be helpful then these vets will be using it.

I did also, however, do some research in some human medical journals and found this article that showed that papaya leaf extract *may* have some anti-cancer effect. I wouldn't expect it to be a miracle cure, however.

It is very unlikely that the papaya leaf extract will cause any problems for Jacob. It won't interfere with the Piroxicam. I would go ahead and give it a try.

I hope Jacob feels ok for as long as posisble.

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (10213 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (11202 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (9820 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (65411 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (11471 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (11446 views)

Mildly increased ALP. My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is... (6964 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (4491 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (59533 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (15023 views)