Papaya leaf extract for cancer?

Breed: GSD
Hi,
Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. Turns out it is cancer and my vet said he has about two months. Since chemo doesn't really cure it or put it in remission I don't want to put him though that.. She put him on piroxicam that might slow the cancer growth. I've heard about papaya leaf extract helping with cancer and would like to try it for him but could he take that while on the piroxicam? And can dogs have papaya? I don't want to make him worse.
Thank you.

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Jacob and his spleen. Some spleen tumors can be benign but when we see one that is cancerous then even with chemo dogs don't tend to live very long.

Piroxicam is an anti-inflammatory drug. We do know that it has some sort of effect against some types of tumors such as the bladder tumor called transitional cell carcinoma. While Piroxicam is not a chemotherapy, it does help somewhat to help slow down the progression of some cancers.

I spent a fair amount of time researching papaya leaf extract for you. I have to tell you that it is not something that I have heard of being used in veterinary medicine. There is almost nothing in the veterinary references that I go to about using papaya leaf extract for cancer. I did a thorough search on Veterinary Information Network (VIN) to see if any of the herbal/homeopathic vets were talking about it and none were. Usually if there is a supplement that is going to be helpful then these vets will be using it.

I did also, however, do some research in some human medical journals and found this article that showed that papaya leaf extract *may* have some anti-cancer effect. I wouldn't expect it to be a miracle cure, however.

It is very unlikely that the papaya leaf extract will cause any problems for Jacob. It won't interfere with the Piroxicam. I would go ahead and give it a try.

I hope Jacob feels ok for as long as posisble.

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (9359 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (7885 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (23726 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (10516 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (30850 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (9570 views)

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (7839 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (18497 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (10569 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (12021 views)