Papaya leaf extract for cancer?

Breed: GSD
Hi,
Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. Turns out it is cancer and my vet said he has about two months. Since chemo doesn't really cure it or put it in remission I don't want to put him though that.. She put him on piroxicam that might slow the cancer growth. I've heard about papaya leaf extract helping with cancer and would like to try it for him but could he take that while on the piroxicam? And can dogs have papaya? I don't want to make him worse.
Thank you.

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Jacob and his spleen. Some spleen tumors can be benign but when we see one that is cancerous then even with chemo dogs don't tend to live very long.

Piroxicam is an anti-inflammatory drug. We do know that it has some sort of effect against some types of tumors such as the bladder tumor called transitional cell carcinoma. While Piroxicam is not a chemotherapy, it does help somewhat to help slow down the progression of some cancers.

I spent a fair amount of time researching papaya leaf extract for you. I have to tell you that it is not something that I have heard of being used in veterinary medicine. There is almost nothing in the veterinary references that I go to about using papaya leaf extract for cancer. I did a thorough search on Veterinary Information Network (VIN) to see if any of the herbal/homeopathic vets were talking about it and none were. Usually if there is a supplement that is going to be helpful then these vets will be using it.

I did also, however, do some research in some human medical journals and found this article that showed that papaya leaf extract *may* have some anti-cancer effect. I wouldn't expect it to be a miracle cure, however.

It is very unlikely that the papaya leaf extract will cause any problems for Jacob. It won't interfere with the Piroxicam. I would go ahead and give it a try.

I hope Jacob feels ok for as long as posisble.

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (22641 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4217 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (25680 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6458 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (4321 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (14738 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (10783 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (29888 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (4703 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (13847 views)