Gerbil has rash on nose.

Breed: gerbial
My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are not sure what to do oe what it is

There are a few things that can cause a Gerbil to have a rash around or near the nose.

The most common reason is something called nasal dermatitis that is a result of the gerbil being kept in an environment that is too humid. Gerbils are desert creatures and need humidity of less than 50%. One thing that helps with this is changing the gerbil's bedding frequently so that the area is not so wet.

Often the area around the nose becomes infected and the gerbil may need some antibiotics which would be prescribed by your vet.

It is also possible that this is due to trauma from rubbing her nose on the cage bars.

Sometimes secretion of porphyrins (like tears) from the eyes can irritate the nose. Porphyrins are usually only secreted by gerbils that are under some type of stress.

It does sound like it is a good idea to have a vet take a look at your gerbil and determine if antibiotics are needed.

I hope all is well soon!

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (9838 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (48394 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (8248 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (11765 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (56808 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (14671 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (35070 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (37075 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (19931 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (5705 views)