Gerbil has rash on nose.

Breed: gerbial
My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are not sure what to do oe what it is

There are a few things that can cause a Gerbil to have a rash around or near the nose.

The most common reason is something called nasal dermatitis that is a result of the gerbil being kept in an environment that is too humid. Gerbils are desert creatures and need humidity of less than 50%. One thing that helps with this is changing the gerbil's bedding frequently so that the area is not so wet.

Often the area around the nose becomes infected and the gerbil may need some antibiotics which would be prescribed by your vet.

It is also possible that this is due to trauma from rubbing her nose on the cage bars.

Sometimes secretion of porphyrins (like tears) from the eyes can irritate the nose. Porphyrins are usually only secreted by gerbils that are under some type of stress.

It does sound like it is a good idea to have a vet take a look at your gerbil and determine if antibiotics are needed.

I hope all is well soon!

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (10950 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (85434 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (10415 views)

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (20482 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6708 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (15909 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (15785 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (17653 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (44795 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (19627 views)