Gerbil has rash on nose.

Breed: gerbial
My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are not sure what to do oe what it is

There are a few things that can cause a Gerbil to have a rash around or near the nose.

The most common reason is something called nasal dermatitis that is a result of the gerbil being kept in an environment that is too humid. Gerbils are desert creatures and need humidity of less than 50%. One thing that helps with this is changing the gerbil's bedding frequently so that the area is not so wet.

Often the area around the nose becomes infected and the gerbil may need some antibiotics which would be prescribed by your vet.

It is also possible that this is due to trauma from rubbing her nose on the cage bars.

Sometimes secretion of porphyrins (like tears) from the eyes can irritate the nose. Porphyrins are usually only secreted by gerbils that are under some type of stress.

It does sound like it is a good idea to have a vet take a look at your gerbil and determine if antibiotics are needed.

I hope all is well soon!

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (11994 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (18800 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (22163 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (18032 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (87554 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (7721 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (12040 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (12455 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (11977 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (14004 views)