Gerbil has rash on nose.

Breed: gerbial
My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are not sure what to do oe what it is

There are a few things that can cause a Gerbil to have a rash around or near the nose.

The most common reason is something called nasal dermatitis that is a result of the gerbil being kept in an environment that is too humid. Gerbils are desert creatures and need humidity of less than 50%. One thing that helps with this is changing the gerbil's bedding frequently so that the area is not so wet.

Often the area around the nose becomes infected and the gerbil may need some antibiotics which would be prescribed by your vet.

It is also possible that this is due to trauma from rubbing her nose on the cage bars.

Sometimes secretion of porphyrins (like tears) from the eyes can irritate the nose. Porphyrins are usually only secreted by gerbils that are under some type of stress.

It does sound like it is a good idea to have a vet take a look at your gerbil and determine if antibiotics are needed.

I hope all is well soon!

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (11464 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (6853 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (43398 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (11107 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (12415 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (7147 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (21885 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (40241 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (6572 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (19199 views)