Gerbil has rash on nose.

Breed: gerbial
My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are not sure what to do oe what it is

There are a few things that can cause a Gerbil to have a rash around or near the nose.

The most common reason is something called nasal dermatitis that is a result of the gerbil being kept in an environment that is too humid. Gerbils are desert creatures and need humidity of less than 50%. One thing that helps with this is changing the gerbil's bedding frequently so that the area is not so wet.

Often the area around the nose becomes infected and the gerbil may need some antibiotics which would be prescribed by your vet.

It is also possible that this is due to trauma from rubbing her nose on the cage bars.

Sometimes secretion of porphyrins (like tears) from the eyes can irritate the nose. Porphyrins are usually only secreted by gerbils that are under some type of stress.

It does sound like it is a good idea to have a vet take a look at your gerbil and determine if antibiotics are needed.

I hope all is well soon!

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10929 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (19759 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (5065 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (9527 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (11138 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (7569 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (11053 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7456 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (23617 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (30920 views)