Gerbil has rash on nose.

Breed: gerbial
My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are not sure what to do oe what it is

There are a few things that can cause a Gerbil to have a rash around or near the nose.

The most common reason is something called nasal dermatitis that is a result of the gerbil being kept in an environment that is too humid. Gerbils are desert creatures and need humidity of less than 50%. One thing that helps with this is changing the gerbil's bedding frequently so that the area is not so wet.

Often the area around the nose becomes infected and the gerbil may need some antibiotics which would be prescribed by your vet.

It is also possible that this is due to trauma from rubbing her nose on the cage bars.

Sometimes secretion of porphyrins (like tears) from the eyes can irritate the nose. Porphyrins are usually only secreted by gerbils that are under some type of stress.

It does sound like it is a good idea to have a vet take a look at your gerbil and determine if antibiotics are needed.

I hope all is well soon!

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (18258 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (21179 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (38492 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (46402 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (8177 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (11164 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (14590 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (7526 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (13398 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (11904 views)