Gerbil has rash on nose.

Breed: gerbial
My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are not sure what to do oe what it is

There are a few things that can cause a Gerbil to have a rash around or near the nose.

The most common reason is something called nasal dermatitis that is a result of the gerbil being kept in an environment that is too humid. Gerbils are desert creatures and need humidity of less than 50%. One thing that helps with this is changing the gerbil's bedding frequently so that the area is not so wet.

Often the area around the nose becomes infected and the gerbil may need some antibiotics which would be prescribed by your vet.

It is also possible that this is due to trauma from rubbing her nose on the cage bars.

Sometimes secretion of porphyrins (like tears) from the eyes can irritate the nose. Porphyrins are usually only secreted by gerbils that are under some type of stress.

It does sound like it is a good idea to have a vet take a look at your gerbil and determine if antibiotics are needed.

I hope all is well soon!

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (30454 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (10071 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (9906 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (22405 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (20301 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (7952 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (16472 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (7265 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (17019 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (11648 views)