Gerbil has rash on nose.

Breed: gerbial
My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are not sure what to do oe what it is

There are a few things that can cause a Gerbil to have a rash around or near the nose.

The most common reason is something called nasal dermatitis that is a result of the gerbil being kept in an environment that is too humid. Gerbils are desert creatures and need humidity of less than 50%. One thing that helps with this is changing the gerbil's bedding frequently so that the area is not so wet.

Often the area around the nose becomes infected and the gerbil may need some antibiotics which would be prescribed by your vet.

It is also possible that this is due to trauma from rubbing her nose on the cage bars.

Sometimes secretion of porphyrins (like tears) from the eyes can irritate the nose. Porphyrins are usually only secreted by gerbils that are under some type of stress.

It does sound like it is a good idea to have a vet take a look at your gerbil and determine if antibiotics are needed.

I hope all is well soon!

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (13357 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (15134 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8622 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (8935 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (4721 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (47566 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9418 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (13301 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (14827 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (8762 views)