Gerbil has rash on nose.

Breed: gerbial
My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are not sure what to do oe what it is

There are a few things that can cause a Gerbil to have a rash around or near the nose.

The most common reason is something called nasal dermatitis that is a result of the gerbil being kept in an environment that is too humid. Gerbils are desert creatures and need humidity of less than 50%. One thing that helps with this is changing the gerbil's bedding frequently so that the area is not so wet.

Often the area around the nose becomes infected and the gerbil may need some antibiotics which would be prescribed by your vet.

It is also possible that this is due to trauma from rubbing her nose on the cage bars.

Sometimes secretion of porphyrins (like tears) from the eyes can irritate the nose. Porphyrins are usually only secreted by gerbils that are under some type of stress.

It does sound like it is a good idea to have a vet take a look at your gerbil and determine if antibiotics are needed.

I hope all is well soon!

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (15553 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (7439 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5776 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (26647 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8552 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (13552 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (5553 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (17998 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (47533 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (10288 views)