Dog with wound.

Breed: American bulldog
My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see her again until yesterday morning she has an injury to her right front shoulder looks to me like she has tangled with a wild hog that are around this area. Whatever did it has tore a 1 inch square area (laceration) that is pretty deep I believe the shoulder is either fractured or deeply bruised damaged. I have scrubbed and cleaned the wound and applied topical antibiotic I was unable to find anything in the wound no bone fragments, or debris but is is seeping a little. By this morning it has pretty much stopped the seeping and the swelling is going down. I started her on cephalexin 500 mg 3x a day. and gave her a 325 mg aspirin for pain every 12. This is not helping with the pain. She is eating and drinking and has been urinating fine and also has had one bowel movement last night after feeding her. But to pick her up to go outside she will yelp and she is not using the front right leg. I have seen her move it when dreaming this morning so I know it works but it hurts to much for her to move it. I have a medical background with humans and animals so I am familiar with the treatment my veterinarian would suggest. I am trying to get some relief from the pain for her. I also have Banamine here at the house for my horses and would like to know the dosage for her (43 pounds) and how often, how many days. My vet is out of town and I will not go to the one that is covering for her. She will be back on Monday at that time we can make a decision on where to go then. She has drank approximately 1 gallon of water since she has been home at 7 am yesterday, she is well hydrated and her appetite has not been lessoned by the incident.

Unfortunately I am going to have to decline answering this question and I will refund your money.

A wound like this needs to be seen by a veterinarian right away. In the US and Canada it is actually illegal to treat your own animal - i.e practicing veterinary medicine without a license.

I can't legally advise on doses online. What I can tell you is that aspirin every 12 hours is usually not safe for dogs. In fact if you gave Banamine when she has aspirin in her system you could do serious damage to her kidneys or cause a stomach ulcer.

I wish I could help you more, but please, please, have Jemma seen by a vet today.

Ok thanks anyway my vet finally got my message and contacted me back for proper dosage and treatment. Like I said she is out of town and I don't let just anyone mess with my animals. I am not some quack who treats all her animals herself. Like I said I have experience just needed the proper amount. I assure you that all the other hunting dogs in the kennel are well taken care of also. And I am familiar with the problems associated with Renal failure and Liver damage. So thanks anyway. I was looking for help when I thought mine was out of reach.

Tracey

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (63759 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (11774 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (12950 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (8748 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (35310 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (5499 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19929 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5552 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (16745 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (17678 views)