Dog with wound.

Breed: American bulldog
My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see her again until yesterday morning she has an injury to her right front shoulder looks to me like she has tangled with a wild hog that are around this area. Whatever did it has tore a 1 inch square area (laceration) that is pretty deep I believe the shoulder is either fractured or deeply bruised damaged. I have scrubbed and cleaned the wound and applied topical antibiotic I was unable to find anything in the wound no bone fragments, or debris but is is seeping a little. By this morning it has pretty much stopped the seeping and the swelling is going down. I started her on cephalexin 500 mg 3x a day. and gave her a 325 mg aspirin for pain every 12. This is not helping with the pain. She is eating and drinking and has been urinating fine and also has had one bowel movement last night after feeding her. But to pick her up to go outside she will yelp and she is not using the front right leg. I have seen her move it when dreaming this morning so I know it works but it hurts to much for her to move it. I have a medical background with humans and animals so I am familiar with the treatment my veterinarian would suggest. I am trying to get some relief from the pain for her. I also have Banamine here at the house for my horses and would like to know the dosage for her (43 pounds) and how often, how many days. My vet is out of town and I will not go to the one that is covering for her. She will be back on Monday at that time we can make a decision on where to go then. She has drank approximately 1 gallon of water since she has been home at 7 am yesterday, she is well hydrated and her appetite has not been lessoned by the incident.

Unfortunately I am going to have to decline answering this question and I will refund your money.

A wound like this needs to be seen by a veterinarian right away. In the US and Canada it is actually illegal to treat your own animal - i.e practicing veterinary medicine without a license.

I can't legally advise on doses online. What I can tell you is that aspirin every 12 hours is usually not safe for dogs. In fact if you gave Banamine when she has aspirin in her system you could do serious damage to her kidneys or cause a stomach ulcer.

I wish I could help you more, but please, please, have Jemma seen by a vet today.

Ok thanks anyway my vet finally got my message and contacted me back for proper dosage and treatment. Like I said she is out of town and I don't let just anyone mess with my animals. I am not some quack who treats all her animals herself. Like I said I have experience just needed the proper amount. I assure you that all the other hunting dogs in the kennel are well taken care of also. And I am familiar with the problems associated with Renal failure and Liver damage. So thanks anyway. I was looking for help when I thought mine was out of reach.

Tracey

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (10360 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14492 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11134 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (12582 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (9120 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (15613 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (5646 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (73865 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (25944 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (9364 views)