viscious dogs

Breed: Bishions and lab
Killer dogs next door!

We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a male Border Collie, and two Dachshunds. They are in an invisible fence with a back yard that extends to a creek. Most all dogs that come into their yard are attacked by the German Shepard, and Collie. They bite and disable the dog. Once they get them down on the ground the two Dachshunds join in. So far there have been 6 vicious attacks. Some dogs requiring over $800 worth of surgery to save them. Our 9 week of Lab puppy was one of the 6 victims but did not survive. We miss her terrible and feel so guilty for not watching out better. At the time we did not know that there was a killing machine and a kill zone next to us. One elderly neighbor was walking his dog down the creek. When he and his dog enter the kill zone the dogs rushed out and attacked his dog. The elderly gentleman in his late 70’s managed to fight of the attack and saved his dog.

The owners position is they have a invisible fence up and all those injured and killed dogs should be on a leash. They say they are 100% legal. They go on to say their dogs are only territorial. They say these dogs have never attacked a human. Their dogs are around their children and other children in their back yard. They take these dogs to the park etc with no problems.

The owner says if these dogs were deemed to be vicious he would put them down. He is going to ask his vet.

I have two questions.

1. Are these 4 dogs vicious or just territorial?
2. Is there a possibility for them to attack children or other humans? One of the attack was broken up by a 13 year old boy and a female jogger passing by. The 13 year old said it was very scary getting his dog out of the mouth of the German Shepard. Is it possible that children are others trying to save their pet could be attacked as well?

We are heart broken over our loss but have two other dogs (Bishions) to worry about.

Thank you,

Donnie Pounders

Oh, what a horrible situation. I am so sorry that this is happening.

I won't be able to answer your question with absolute certainty, but let me give you my thoughts.

In my opinion there is a great difference between protecting your territory and going as far as viciously attacking dogs to the point of death. This is not acceptable. In my opinion, any dog that will viciously attack another dog can definitely be a risk for children.

This is a question that needs to be addressed by legal authorities. I have a few suggestions for you.

The first would be to call the police and explain the situation. You can ask their opinion on how you should proceed in this situation. Another option would be to speak to a lawyer.

Unfortunately I am not a legal professional so I can't advise you on the legalities. On one hand, I can see the point of view that the dogs were on the neighbor's property and so there are some rights there. However, if those dogs are attacking to the point of death I would think that they could be considered a dangerous weapon.

I'd urge you to speak to the police about this and see if they can help you.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your puppy. I hope this is resolved soon.

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (48441 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (35065 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (18173 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (12976 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (6508 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (11086 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (5940 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (10751 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (11924 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (29638 views)