viscious dogs

Breed: Bishions and lab
Killer dogs next door!

We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a male Border Collie, and two Dachshunds. They are in an invisible fence with a back yard that extends to a creek. Most all dogs that come into their yard are attacked by the German Shepard, and Collie. They bite and disable the dog. Once they get them down on the ground the two Dachshunds join in. So far there have been 6 vicious attacks. Some dogs requiring over $800 worth of surgery to save them. Our 9 week of Lab puppy was one of the 6 victims but did not survive. We miss her terrible and feel so guilty for not watching out better. At the time we did not know that there was a killing machine and a kill zone next to us. One elderly neighbor was walking his dog down the creek. When he and his dog enter the kill zone the dogs rushed out and attacked his dog. The elderly gentleman in his late 70’s managed to fight of the attack and saved his dog.

The owners position is they have a invisible fence up and all those injured and killed dogs should be on a leash. They say they are 100% legal. They go on to say their dogs are only territorial. They say these dogs have never attacked a human. Their dogs are around their children and other children in their back yard. They take these dogs to the park etc with no problems.

The owner says if these dogs were deemed to be vicious he would put them down. He is going to ask his vet.

I have two questions.

1. Are these 4 dogs vicious or just territorial?
2. Is there a possibility for them to attack children or other humans? One of the attack was broken up by a 13 year old boy and a female jogger passing by. The 13 year old said it was very scary getting his dog out of the mouth of the German Shepard. Is it possible that children are others trying to save their pet could be attacked as well?

We are heart broken over our loss but have two other dogs (Bishions) to worry about.

Thank you,

Donnie Pounders

Oh, what a horrible situation. I am so sorry that this is happening.

I won't be able to answer your question with absolute certainty, but let me give you my thoughts.

In my opinion there is a great difference between protecting your territory and going as far as viciously attacking dogs to the point of death. This is not acceptable. In my opinion, any dog that will viciously attack another dog can definitely be a risk for children.

This is a question that needs to be addressed by legal authorities. I have a few suggestions for you.

The first would be to call the police and explain the situation. You can ask their opinion on how you should proceed in this situation. Another option would be to speak to a lawyer.

Unfortunately I am not a legal professional so I can't advise you on the legalities. On one hand, I can see the point of view that the dogs were on the neighbor's property and so there are some rights there. However, if those dogs are attacking to the point of death I would think that they could be considered a dangerous weapon.

I'd urge you to speak to the police about this and see if they can help you.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your puppy. I hope this is resolved soon.

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (9406 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (5432 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (12675 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (11846 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (10903 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (15070 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (18127 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (7369 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (5716 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (10949 views)