Lethargic after dentistry.

Breed: Sheltie
Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his teeth cleaned. The Vet put the puppy under to clean the teeth which we were aware of.

I picked up the puppy (Tucker) around 2pm and they said he may cough because of the tube that was in his throat - that makes sense.

Took him home and fed and watered him and he ate and drank with no problem. He wasn't his 'bubbly' self but usually isn't after a trip to/from the vet.

I got home from work at 6pm and he wasn't moving around much and wouldn't eat or go outside (he loves it outside). He seemed to get worse and just wanted to lie down but not sleep.

I gave him a chunk of Tylenol wrapped in bread to help him sleep and relax and he seemed to sleep well all night but he's still lethargic in the morning (right now).

He knows his name, he still barks when the doorbell rings (but doesn't move), he just wants to lie around and is breathing fast.

I'm hoping it's just because his teeth are sore from the cleaning and maybe some residual stuff from the medication that put him under or possibly from the shots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Jordan and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Tucker is under the weather!

It is not uncommon for dogs to be a little bit out of it for a day or two after an anesthetic. It is likely not because of any tooth pain but more likely to be due to the anesthetic drugs in his system.

Is your vet open today? If so, it is not a bad idea to ask them to have a quick look at him to make sure he is ok.

If not, you can try giving him some canned food with some water to make it into a soup to help him to be able to eat it.

The other concern after an anesthetic is if a dog has a serious problem with the liver or kidneys. This is quite rare, but can happen. If this is the case he may be vomiting and continue to get sicker.

While I can't say for sure without seeing him, my gut instinct that it is just a residual effect of the anesthesia. However, if he is still not eating by tomorrow (or if your gut tells you something bad is going on) then an emergency visit may be necessary.

Hope all goes well!

Thanks for the quick reply.

We did call the vet last night but got a recording saying she doesn't work weekends and to take him somewhere else and our physical location is kind of remote.

We mixed water in with his food and softened it up and he is eating (as of 5 minutes ago) but we have to carry him to his food as he just wants to lie around.

He hasn't been vomiting at all or even remotely hacking so that's a good sign.

I think you're right that it may be residual effect of the anesthesia but I needed a professional opinion.

If he get worse then we'll make the trip to another vet for an emergency visit.

Thanks for your quick response.

You're very welcome!

Glad to hear he is eating. Sounds like a good plan.

Hope all goes well!

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (22208 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (10973 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (6759 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (8174 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (27362 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (28428 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (33783 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (15303 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (27593 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (7959 views)