Lethargic after dentistry.

Breed: Sheltie
Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his teeth cleaned. The Vet put the puppy under to clean the teeth which we were aware of.

I picked up the puppy (Tucker) around 2pm and they said he may cough because of the tube that was in his throat - that makes sense.

Took him home and fed and watered him and he ate and drank with no problem. He wasn't his 'bubbly' self but usually isn't after a trip to/from the vet.

I got home from work at 6pm and he wasn't moving around much and wouldn't eat or go outside (he loves it outside). He seemed to get worse and just wanted to lie down but not sleep.

I gave him a chunk of Tylenol wrapped in bread to help him sleep and relax and he seemed to sleep well all night but he's still lethargic in the morning (right now).

He knows his name, he still barks when the doorbell rings (but doesn't move), he just wants to lie around and is breathing fast.

I'm hoping it's just because his teeth are sore from the cleaning and maybe some residual stuff from the medication that put him under or possibly from the shots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Jordan and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Tucker is under the weather!

It is not uncommon for dogs to be a little bit out of it for a day or two after an anesthetic. It is likely not because of any tooth pain but more likely to be due to the anesthetic drugs in his system.

Is your vet open today? If so, it is not a bad idea to ask them to have a quick look at him to make sure he is ok.

If not, you can try giving him some canned food with some water to make it into a soup to help him to be able to eat it.

The other concern after an anesthetic is if a dog has a serious problem with the liver or kidneys. This is quite rare, but can happen. If this is the case he may be vomiting and continue to get sicker.

While I can't say for sure without seeing him, my gut instinct that it is just a residual effect of the anesthesia. However, if he is still not eating by tomorrow (or if your gut tells you something bad is going on) then an emergency visit may be necessary.

Hope all goes well!

Thanks for the quick reply.

We did call the vet last night but got a recording saying she doesn't work weekends and to take him somewhere else and our physical location is kind of remote.

We mixed water in with his food and softened it up and he is eating (as of 5 minutes ago) but we have to carry him to his food as he just wants to lie around.

He hasn't been vomiting at all or even remotely hacking so that's a good sign.

I think you're right that it may be residual effect of the anesthesia but I needed a professional opinion.

If he get worse then we'll make the trip to another vet for an emergency visit.

Thanks for your quick response.

You're very welcome!

Glad to hear he is eating. Sounds like a good plan.

Hope all goes well!

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (40023 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (25117 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (45447 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (13694 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (6966 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (23020 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (21824 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (12558 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (8338 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (27052 views)