Lethargic after dentistry.

Breed: Sheltie
Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his teeth cleaned. The Vet put the puppy under to clean the teeth which we were aware of.

I picked up the puppy (Tucker) around 2pm and they said he may cough because of the tube that was in his throat - that makes sense.

Took him home and fed and watered him and he ate and drank with no problem. He wasn't his 'bubbly' self but usually isn't after a trip to/from the vet.

I got home from work at 6pm and he wasn't moving around much and wouldn't eat or go outside (he loves it outside). He seemed to get worse and just wanted to lie down but not sleep.

I gave him a chunk of Tylenol wrapped in bread to help him sleep and relax and he seemed to sleep well all night but he's still lethargic in the morning (right now).

He knows his name, he still barks when the doorbell rings (but doesn't move), he just wants to lie around and is breathing fast.

I'm hoping it's just because his teeth are sore from the cleaning and maybe some residual stuff from the medication that put him under or possibly from the shots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Jordan and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Tucker is under the weather!

It is not uncommon for dogs to be a little bit out of it for a day or two after an anesthetic. It is likely not because of any tooth pain but more likely to be due to the anesthetic drugs in his system.

Is your vet open today? If so, it is not a bad idea to ask them to have a quick look at him to make sure he is ok.

If not, you can try giving him some canned food with some water to make it into a soup to help him to be able to eat it.

The other concern after an anesthetic is if a dog has a serious problem with the liver or kidneys. This is quite rare, but can happen. If this is the case he may be vomiting and continue to get sicker.

While I can't say for sure without seeing him, my gut instinct that it is just a residual effect of the anesthesia. However, if he is still not eating by tomorrow (or if your gut tells you something bad is going on) then an emergency visit may be necessary.

Hope all goes well!

Thanks for the quick reply.

We did call the vet last night but got a recording saying she doesn't work weekends and to take him somewhere else and our physical location is kind of remote.

We mixed water in with his food and softened it up and he is eating (as of 5 minutes ago) but we have to carry him to his food as he just wants to lie around.

He hasn't been vomiting at all or even remotely hacking so that's a good sign.

I think you're right that it may be residual effect of the anesthesia but I needed a professional opinion.

If he get worse then we'll make the trip to another vet for an emergency visit.

Thanks for your quick response.

You're very welcome!

Glad to hear he is eating. Sounds like a good plan.

Hope all goes well!

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (8169 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (4936 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (22733 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (5871 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (6843 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (13019 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (11144 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (9404 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (15124 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (21546 views)