Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Lethargic after dentistry.

Species: Dog
Breed: Sheltie
Age: 2-5 years
Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his teeth cleaned. The Vet put the puppy under to clean the teeth which we were aware of.

I picked up the puppy (Tucker) around 2pm and they said he may cough because of the tube that was in his throat - that makes sense.

Took him home and fed and watered him and he ate and drank with no problem. He wasn't his 'bubbly' self but usually isn't after a trip to/from the vet.

I got home from work at 6pm and he wasn't moving around much and wouldn't eat or go outside (he loves it outside). He seemed to get worse and just wanted to lie down but not sleep.

I gave him a chunk of Tylenol wrapped in bread to help him sleep and relax and he seemed to sleep well all night but he's still lethargic in the morning (right now).

He knows his name, he still barks when the doorbell rings (but doesn't move), he just wants to lie around and is breathing fast.

I'm hoping it's just because his teeth are sore from the cleaning and maybe some residual stuff from the medication that put him under or possibly from the shots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi Jordan and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Tucker is under the weather!

It is not uncommon for dogs to be a little bit out of it for a day or two after an anesthetic. It is likely not because of any tooth pain but more likely to be due to the anesthetic drugs in his system.

Is your vet open today? If so, it is not a bad idea to ask them to have a quick look at him to make sure he is ok.

If not, you can try giving him some canned food with some water to make it into a soup to help him to be able to eat it.

The other concern after an anesthetic is if a dog has a serious problem with the liver or kidneys. This is quite rare, but can happen. If this is the case he may be vomiting and continue to get sicker.

While I can't say for sure without seeing him, my gut instinct that it is just a residual effect of the anesthesia. However, if he is still not eating by tomorrow (or if your gut tells you something bad is going on) then an emergency visit may be necessary.

Hope all goes well!

Dr. Marie.





Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thanks for the quick reply.

We did call the vet last night but got a recording saying she doesn't work weekends and to take him somewhere else and our physical location is kind of remote.

We mixed water in with his food and softened it up and he is eating (as of 5 minutes ago) but we have to carry him to his food as he just wants to lie around.

He hasn't been vomiting at all or even remotely hacking so that's a good sign.

I think you're right that it may be residual effect of the anesthesia but I needed a professional opinion.

If he get worse then we'll make the trip to another vet for an emergency visit.

Thanks for your quick response.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You're very welcome!

Glad to hear he is eating. Sounds like a good plan.

Hope all goes well!

Dr. Marie



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (153326 views)

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (9556 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (14829 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (5335 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (8078 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (9682 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (18122 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (10205 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (9455 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (13265 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.