Brown spots on belly.

Breed: Pom mix
I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I have noticed dark brown colored spots on his belly and near his legs. Before then his stomach was completely pink. He is acting completely normal and isn't scratching or licking the area.
Any idea what this can be?

Here is some additional information.

-he isn't on any medication or using flea control
- I changed his food a month ago
-he now has access to a backyard and is outside a lot more

I have also emailed you a picture as well.

Thank you!

Thanks for sending me this great picture:

freckles on dog

These brown spots really do look like normal areas of pigmentation or in other words, large freckles. It's hard to say why they weren't noticed before. But, I think that it's extremely unlikely that they are anything to worry about.

I don't think it is connected to his food or environment in any way.

Now, if for some reason these spots become itchy or bothersome in any way then I'd have them checked, but this really looks like nothing to worry about.

Of course though, I can't give you a complete diagnosis over the internet. The next time he is in at the vet's I'd have them take a look but I will be very surprised if these are ever an issue!

Thank you for getting back to me. So it's not uncommon that these freckles can appear after 5 years of not having any?

I can't say that I can ever recall a dog having freckles suddenly appear at 5 years of age. But, really, I can't see these being anything else!

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (12313 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5808 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (10014 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (8999 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5717 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (8854 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (16938 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (4888 views)

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (63552 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (15180 views)