Brown spots on belly.

Breed: Pom mix
I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I have noticed dark brown colored spots on his belly and near his legs. Before then his stomach was completely pink. He is acting completely normal and isn't scratching or licking the area.
Any idea what this can be?

Here is some additional information.

-he isn't on any medication or using flea control
- I changed his food a month ago
-he now has access to a backyard and is outside a lot more

I have also emailed you a picture as well.

Thank you!

Thanks for sending me this great picture:

freckles on dog

These brown spots really do look like normal areas of pigmentation or in other words, large freckles. It's hard to say why they weren't noticed before. But, I think that it's extremely unlikely that they are anything to worry about.

I don't think it is connected to his food or environment in any way.

Now, if for some reason these spots become itchy or bothersome in any way then I'd have them checked, but this really looks like nothing to worry about.

Of course though, I can't give you a complete diagnosis over the internet. The next time he is in at the vet's I'd have them take a look but I will be very surprised if these are ever an issue!

Thank you for getting back to me. So it's not uncommon that these freckles can appear after 5 years of not having any?

I can't say that I can ever recall a dog having freckles suddenly appear at 5 years of age. But, really, I can't see these being anything else!

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (13018 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (28481 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (22618 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (16310 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (98923 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (4317 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (10281 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (25820 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (8374 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (10448 views)