Cipro problems?

Breed: sheltie
When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large order of french fries and he had massive diarrhea, and then got a kidneyinfection. Was put on cipro 250 mg BID and is now on day 12 of 21 day course and has loss of appetite and listless and now stubbles every once and a while. My vet gave him a canned food and he eats small amts 3 times a day but should I be concerned? When I asked she told me he needs to finish the cipro and he'll be OK. He is my baby and I'm concerned w/weakness but I read they are some of the SIDE EFFECTS....will he be OK or can he wait until his friday appt to see vet?

Wow, it sounds like Coco has really been through a lot.

I'm concerned that there may be something really serious going on with him. I can understand that the french fries may have caused some diarrhea. However, they wouldn't cause a kidney infection.

A kidney infection is actually not very common at all. I'm concerned that he may be progressing from a kidney infection to kidney failure. This is definitely a serious problem if this is what is happening.

The symptoms you are describing are not likely to be caused by the ciprofloxacin.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of a disease called leptospirosis. Lepto is a condition that is caused by drinking water that has been urinated in by an infected skunk, raccoon or a few other types of wildlife. It causes a very serious infection in the kidneys and sometimes liver as well. Although the cipro would likely get rid of lepto, if there was significant damage to the kidneys then this would need to be addressed separately.

Another possibility is that Coco has pancreatitis. While this would cause most dogs to vomit, in some dogs we just see lack of appetite and extreme lethargy. This is a serious problem as well.

Another possibility is if he has a condition called Addison's disease. This condition is not very common. The symptoms are usually vague - lack of appetite, lethargy, and weakness. Again, this is a serious problem.

From what you have described I think that you should have Coco seen again as soon as possible. He will likely need to have some blood tests repeated to see if he is in kidney failure or if there is another condition going on. If he does have serious kidney disease then the treatment is to keep him in the hospital on intravenous fluids.

Hopefully you can have him seen sooner than Friday. I really hope he is ok!

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (6506 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (21793 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (19019 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (12434 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (7947 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (26128 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6240 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (10286 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (9485 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (5750 views)