Cipro problems?

Breed: sheltie
When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large order of french fries and he had massive diarrhea, and then got a kidneyinfection. Was put on cipro 250 mg BID and is now on day 12 of 21 day course and has loss of appetite and listless and now stubbles every once and a while. My vet gave him a canned food and he eats small amts 3 times a day but should I be concerned? When I asked she told me he needs to finish the cipro and he'll be OK. He is my baby and I'm concerned w/weakness but I read they are some of the SIDE EFFECTS....will he be OK or can he wait until his friday appt to see vet?

Wow, it sounds like Coco has really been through a lot.

I'm concerned that there may be something really serious going on with him. I can understand that the french fries may have caused some diarrhea. However, they wouldn't cause a kidney infection.

A kidney infection is actually not very common at all. I'm concerned that he may be progressing from a kidney infection to kidney failure. This is definitely a serious problem if this is what is happening.

The symptoms you are describing are not likely to be caused by the ciprofloxacin.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of a disease called leptospirosis. Lepto is a condition that is caused by drinking water that has been urinated in by an infected skunk, raccoon or a few other types of wildlife. It causes a very serious infection in the kidneys and sometimes liver as well. Although the cipro would likely get rid of lepto, if there was significant damage to the kidneys then this would need to be addressed separately.

Another possibility is that Coco has pancreatitis. While this would cause most dogs to vomit, in some dogs we just see lack of appetite and extreme lethargy. This is a serious problem as well.

Another possibility is if he has a condition called Addison's disease. This condition is not very common. The symptoms are usually vague - lack of appetite, lethargy, and weakness. Again, this is a serious problem.

From what you have described I think that you should have Coco seen again as soon as possible. He will likely need to have some blood tests repeated to see if he is in kidney failure or if there is another condition going on. If he does have serious kidney disease then the treatment is to keep him in the hospital on intravenous fluids.

Hopefully you can have him seen sooner than Friday. I really hope he is ok!

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12362 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (7578 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (15436 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (37248 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7502 views)

Drinking a lot and collapse. My boxer, Tank, has recently began drinking water excessively and then pees all over... (21190 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (7711 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4741 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8238 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (12928 views)