Cipro problems?

Breed: sheltie
When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large order of french fries and he had massive diarrhea, and then got a kidneyinfection. Was put on cipro 250 mg BID and is now on day 12 of 21 day course and has loss of appetite and listless and now stubbles every once and a while. My vet gave him a canned food and he eats small amts 3 times a day but should I be concerned? When I asked she told me he needs to finish the cipro and he'll be OK. He is my baby and I'm concerned w/weakness but I read they are some of the SIDE EFFECTS....will he be OK or can he wait until his friday appt to see vet?

Wow, it sounds like Coco has really been through a lot.

I'm concerned that there may be something really serious going on with him. I can understand that the french fries may have caused some diarrhea. However, they wouldn't cause a kidney infection.

A kidney infection is actually not very common at all. I'm concerned that he may be progressing from a kidney infection to kidney failure. This is definitely a serious problem if this is what is happening.

The symptoms you are describing are not likely to be caused by the ciprofloxacin.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of a disease called leptospirosis. Lepto is a condition that is caused by drinking water that has been urinated in by an infected skunk, raccoon or a few other types of wildlife. It causes a very serious infection in the kidneys and sometimes liver as well. Although the cipro would likely get rid of lepto, if there was significant damage to the kidneys then this would need to be addressed separately.

Another possibility is that Coco has pancreatitis. While this would cause most dogs to vomit, in some dogs we just see lack of appetite and extreme lethargy. This is a serious problem as well.

Another possibility is if he has a condition called Addison's disease. This condition is not very common. The symptoms are usually vague - lack of appetite, lethargy, and weakness. Again, this is a serious problem.

From what you have described I think that you should have Coco seen again as soon as possible. He will likely need to have some blood tests repeated to see if he is in kidney failure or if there is another condition going on. If he does have serious kidney disease then the treatment is to keep him in the hospital on intravenous fluids.

Hopefully you can have him seen sooner than Friday. I really hope he is ok!

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (35940 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (9098 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (15309 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (9374 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (18444 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (24880 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5787 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (26461 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (12287 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (18496 views)