Do cats get leptospirosis?

Breed: Persian
Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo, male, 6 months old, persian, white. He's my favorite cat among all of my 6 other cats. Lilo has a sister, named Lala. One morning, Lala was sick. i guess she was having a cold. so i took her to the vet near by my house, and the vet want to keep her for a couple of days. and Lilo was healthy, but He was sometimes but not everyday has a runny nose and something in his nose, same as Lala. and the next day i decided to take Lilo to the vet for grooming, and the vet says that he should get vaccinated ASAP. and i told him, "Yeah, okay after the grooming".
The Next day after the grooming, in the afternoon i gave Lilo a boiled fish. he ate it all. and at night we were playing in my room. i was video taping his funny acts. not a while, he started to puke. and i thought it was the fish? maybe it was bad. and the next morning, he hasnt recovered. he;s just very week, so i asked my helper to the vet. before that i already texting the vet explain of what happened. and my helper bring him home, i wish the vet would have have him overnight. and Lilo doesnt eat anything, he's just very very very weak. and he ate at night. but the next morning, he urinated and the color was dark brown. so i took him to the vet, keep him overnight. and i took his sister Lala home, coz she's doing a lot better. but in the afternoon, the Vet text me that Lilo is in chronic condition. i was so worried and FRUSTRATED. his ear is bleeding, and his temperature in the morning was 40 degrees celcius, and now is 37.2 degrees only. and i was hanging out with myboyfriend, i came running down to the vet. BUt its sooo too late, He's dead. the vet said that there's nothing else he can do. and told me that Lilo has Leptosirosis. and i cried the whole night, i couldnt sleep. i feel so guilty to Lilo, i should have done better. and i googled Leptosirosis, and i found out that it is very rare for cats to get it. i just wanna know your second opinion. i just cant accept that Lilo is gone. thanks.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Lilo. Leptospirosis is definitely very rare in cats! In fact, I had to research this for you to get an answer because I've never heard of a cat getting lepto.

I found a study where researchers infected cats with leptospirosis and did some tests to determine if they were affected by the virus. The reason for the test was to determine if cats could carry leptospirosis, because if they did then they could be a risk to people. None of the cats got sick and they could not find the virus in any of the cats' kidneys or blood after a few weeks.

Now, with that being said, things may be different in Indonesia.

But my guess is that this was something else.

So sorry for your loss.

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (14548 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (135555 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (26735 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (15443 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (7296 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (9618 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (15036 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (8864 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (7316 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (9554 views)