Do cats get leptospirosis?

Breed: Persian
Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo, male, 6 months old, persian, white. He's my favorite cat among all of my 6 other cats. Lilo has a sister, named Lala. One morning, Lala was sick. i guess she was having a cold. so i took her to the vet near by my house, and the vet want to keep her for a couple of days. and Lilo was healthy, but He was sometimes but not everyday has a runny nose and something in his nose, same as Lala. and the next day i decided to take Lilo to the vet for grooming, and the vet says that he should get vaccinated ASAP. and i told him, "Yeah, okay after the grooming".
The Next day after the grooming, in the afternoon i gave Lilo a boiled fish. he ate it all. and at night we were playing in my room. i was video taping his funny acts. not a while, he started to puke. and i thought it was the fish? maybe it was bad. and the next morning, he hasnt recovered. he;s just very week, so i asked my helper to the vet. before that i already texting the vet explain of what happened. and my helper bring him home, i wish the vet would have have him overnight. and Lilo doesnt eat anything, he's just very very very weak. and he ate at night. but the next morning, he urinated and the color was dark brown. so i took him to the vet, keep him overnight. and i took his sister Lala home, coz she's doing a lot better. but in the afternoon, the Vet text me that Lilo is in chronic condition. i was so worried and FRUSTRATED. his ear is bleeding, and his temperature in the morning was 40 degrees celcius, and now is 37.2 degrees only. and i was hanging out with myboyfriend, i came running down to the vet. BUt its sooo too late, He's dead. the vet said that there's nothing else he can do. and told me that Lilo has Leptosirosis. and i cried the whole night, i couldnt sleep. i feel so guilty to Lilo, i should have done better. and i googled Leptosirosis, and i found out that it is very rare for cats to get it. i just wanna know your second opinion. i just cant accept that Lilo is gone. thanks.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Lilo. Leptospirosis is definitely very rare in cats! In fact, I had to research this for you to get an answer because I've never heard of a cat getting lepto.

I found a study where researchers infected cats with leptospirosis and did some tests to determine if they were affected by the virus. The reason for the test was to determine if cats could carry leptospirosis, because if they did then they could be a risk to people. None of the cats got sick and they could not find the virus in any of the cats' kidneys or blood after a few weeks.

Now, with that being said, things may be different in Indonesia.

But my guess is that this was something else.

So sorry for your loss.

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (12152 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (9701 views)

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (6915 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (6987 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (15450 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (8162 views)

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (17265 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (9432 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (55783 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (9744 views)