Do cats get leptospirosis?

Breed: Persian
Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo, male, 6 months old, persian, white. He's my favorite cat among all of my 6 other cats. Lilo has a sister, named Lala. One morning, Lala was sick. i guess she was having a cold. so i took her to the vet near by my house, and the vet want to keep her for a couple of days. and Lilo was healthy, but He was sometimes but not everyday has a runny nose and something in his nose, same as Lala. and the next day i decided to take Lilo to the vet for grooming, and the vet says that he should get vaccinated ASAP. and i told him, "Yeah, okay after the grooming".
The Next day after the grooming, in the afternoon i gave Lilo a boiled fish. he ate it all. and at night we were playing in my room. i was video taping his funny acts. not a while, he started to puke. and i thought it was the fish? maybe it was bad. and the next morning, he hasnt recovered. he;s just very week, so i asked my helper to the vet. before that i already texting the vet explain of what happened. and my helper bring him home, i wish the vet would have have him overnight. and Lilo doesnt eat anything, he's just very very very weak. and he ate at night. but the next morning, he urinated and the color was dark brown. so i took him to the vet, keep him overnight. and i took his sister Lala home, coz she's doing a lot better. but in the afternoon, the Vet text me that Lilo is in chronic condition. i was so worried and FRUSTRATED. his ear is bleeding, and his temperature in the morning was 40 degrees celcius, and now is 37.2 degrees only. and i was hanging out with myboyfriend, i came running down to the vet. BUt its sooo too late, He's dead. the vet said that there's nothing else he can do. and told me that Lilo has Leptosirosis. and i cried the whole night, i couldnt sleep. i feel so guilty to Lilo, i should have done better. and i googled Leptosirosis, and i found out that it is very rare for cats to get it. i just wanna know your second opinion. i just cant accept that Lilo is gone. thanks.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Lilo. Leptospirosis is definitely very rare in cats! In fact, I had to research this for you to get an answer because I've never heard of a cat getting lepto.

I found a study where researchers infected cats with leptospirosis and did some tests to determine if they were affected by the virus. The reason for the test was to determine if cats could carry leptospirosis, because if they did then they could be a risk to people. None of the cats got sick and they could not find the virus in any of the cats' kidneys or blood after a few weeks.

Now, with that being said, things may be different in Indonesia.

But my guess is that this was something else.

So sorry for your loss.

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (26387 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (12807 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (7552 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (12758 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (23653 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (11463 views)

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (11817 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (11359 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (15893 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (20319 views)