Do cats get leptospirosis?

Breed: Persian
Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo, male, 6 months old, persian, white. He's my favorite cat among all of my 6 other cats. Lilo has a sister, named Lala. One morning, Lala was sick. i guess she was having a cold. so i took her to the vet near by my house, and the vet want to keep her for a couple of days. and Lilo was healthy, but He was sometimes but not everyday has a runny nose and something in his nose, same as Lala. and the next day i decided to take Lilo to the vet for grooming, and the vet says that he should get vaccinated ASAP. and i told him, "Yeah, okay after the grooming".
The Next day after the grooming, in the afternoon i gave Lilo a boiled fish. he ate it all. and at night we were playing in my room. i was video taping his funny acts. not a while, he started to puke. and i thought it was the fish? maybe it was bad. and the next morning, he hasnt recovered. he;s just very week, so i asked my helper to the vet. before that i already texting the vet explain of what happened. and my helper bring him home, i wish the vet would have have him overnight. and Lilo doesnt eat anything, he's just very very very weak. and he ate at night. but the next morning, he urinated and the color was dark brown. so i took him to the vet, keep him overnight. and i took his sister Lala home, coz she's doing a lot better. but in the afternoon, the Vet text me that Lilo is in chronic condition. i was so worried and FRUSTRATED. his ear is bleeding, and his temperature in the morning was 40 degrees celcius, and now is 37.2 degrees only. and i was hanging out with myboyfriend, i came running down to the vet. BUt its sooo too late, He's dead. the vet said that there's nothing else he can do. and told me that Lilo has Leptosirosis. and i cried the whole night, i couldnt sleep. i feel so guilty to Lilo, i should have done better. and i googled Leptosirosis, and i found out that it is very rare for cats to get it. i just wanna know your second opinion. i just cant accept that Lilo is gone. thanks.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Lilo. Leptospirosis is definitely very rare in cats! In fact, I had to research this for you to get an answer because I've never heard of a cat getting lepto.

I found a study where researchers infected cats with leptospirosis and did some tests to determine if they were affected by the virus. The reason for the test was to determine if cats could carry leptospirosis, because if they did then they could be a risk to people. None of the cats got sick and they could not find the virus in any of the cats' kidneys or blood after a few weeks.

Now, with that being said, things may be different in Indonesia.

But my guess is that this was something else.

So sorry for your loss.

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (13834 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (19524 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (13203 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (67410 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5338 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (10812 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (113557 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (11906 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7516 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (9220 views)