Ear infection in labradoodle.

Breed: Australian Labradood

I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast ear infection (confirmed by swab) for a little over two months. He has been on antibiotics all of that time. For the first week it was Surolan and then switched to Otomax (active ingredient gentimycin). After one week he developed reddened areas that progressed to ulcerated areas in both ears.These areas were biopsied and the results indicated an allergic process. For "ear wash" we've been using a Burrows solution with 2% Hydrocortisone once/day and using the Otomax twice per day. The ear wash we used at first had Boric acid and witch hazel. We switched to saline and he also reacted to that (?carrier solution).Healing of the ulcerated areas has been slow or non-existant. The biopsy was done June 29th. He has been on Hills hypoallergenic food since June 26th. Unsure if the infection is gone but the vet said that she was unable to get all the debris out of ears at the time of the biopsy. What should the next step be? Thanks for your time!

Sheila Farnell

Oh, poor Satchmo! I have had a few frustrating cases like this. Ear problems can sometimes be really difficult to deal with. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

While ultimately the decision on what to do next lies with your vet, I can give you some ideas as to what I might do if it was my case.

Sometimes when I suspect allergies and a dog is not doing well with ear medication I will take a dog off of all medicine in the ear for a period of time and put him on oral prednisone. Prednisone is a steroid which will reduce the inflammation and help with any allergy that is there.

Then, after a week or so on prednisone I would look at the ear again. Do you know if a culture was done? This is where a swab is sent to the lab to grow what type of bacteria is present. It's possible that he has a resistant type of infection and may need a combo of antibiotics. This test will tell us which treatment is best.

You can also ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. These specialists are used to seeing the frustrating cases and sometimes have more experience in what to do.

I hope he feels better soon!

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (12039 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (239707 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (5808 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (8500 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19550 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (55085 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (18909 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (33067 views)

Can a dog be born with rabies. does dog have rabbies when they were... (13417 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (10117 views)