Ear infection in labradoodle.

Breed: Australian Labradood

I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast ear infection (confirmed by swab) for a little over two months. He has been on antibiotics all of that time. For the first week it was Surolan and then switched to Otomax (active ingredient gentimycin). After one week he developed reddened areas that progressed to ulcerated areas in both ears.These areas were biopsied and the results indicated an allergic process. For "ear wash" we've been using a Burrows solution with 2% Hydrocortisone once/day and using the Otomax twice per day. The ear wash we used at first had Boric acid and witch hazel. We switched to saline and he also reacted to that (?carrier solution).Healing of the ulcerated areas has been slow or non-existant. The biopsy was done June 29th. He has been on Hills hypoallergenic food since June 26th. Unsure if the infection is gone but the vet said that she was unable to get all the debris out of ears at the time of the biopsy. What should the next step be? Thanks for your time!

Sheila Farnell

Oh, poor Satchmo! I have had a few frustrating cases like this. Ear problems can sometimes be really difficult to deal with. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

While ultimately the decision on what to do next lies with your vet, I can give you some ideas as to what I might do if it was my case.

Sometimes when I suspect allergies and a dog is not doing well with ear medication I will take a dog off of all medicine in the ear for a period of time and put him on oral prednisone. Prednisone is a steroid which will reduce the inflammation and help with any allergy that is there.

Then, after a week or so on prednisone I would look at the ear again. Do you know if a culture was done? This is where a swab is sent to the lab to grow what type of bacteria is present. It's possible that he has a resistant type of infection and may need a combo of antibiotics. This test will tell us which treatment is best.

You can also ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. These specialists are used to seeing the frustrating cases and sometimes have more experience in what to do.

I hope he feels better soon!

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (10969 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8625 views)

Vomiting and balance issues. my dog is losing her equalibreum and was throwing up yellow stomach bile.her poop is... (21359 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (8919 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (9648 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (23189 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (9723 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4518 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (15273 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (528509 views)