Ear infection in labradoodle.

Breed: Australian Labradood

I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast ear infection (confirmed by swab) for a little over two months. He has been on antibiotics all of that time. For the first week it was Surolan and then switched to Otomax (active ingredient gentimycin). After one week he developed reddened areas that progressed to ulcerated areas in both ears.These areas were biopsied and the results indicated an allergic process. For "ear wash" we've been using a Burrows solution with 2% Hydrocortisone once/day and using the Otomax twice per day. The ear wash we used at first had Boric acid and witch hazel. We switched to saline and he also reacted to that (?carrier solution).Healing of the ulcerated areas has been slow or non-existant. The biopsy was done June 29th. He has been on Hills hypoallergenic food since June 26th. Unsure if the infection is gone but the vet said that she was unable to get all the debris out of ears at the time of the biopsy. What should the next step be? Thanks for your time!

Sheila Farnell

Oh, poor Satchmo! I have had a few frustrating cases like this. Ear problems can sometimes be really difficult to deal with. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

While ultimately the decision on what to do next lies with your vet, I can give you some ideas as to what I might do if it was my case.

Sometimes when I suspect allergies and a dog is not doing well with ear medication I will take a dog off of all medicine in the ear for a period of time and put him on oral prednisone. Prednisone is a steroid which will reduce the inflammation and help with any allergy that is there.

Then, after a week or so on prednisone I would look at the ear again. Do you know if a culture was done? This is where a swab is sent to the lab to grow what type of bacteria is present. It's possible that he has a resistant type of infection and may need a combo of antibiotics. This test will tell us which treatment is best.

You can also ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. These specialists are used to seeing the frustrating cases and sometimes have more experience in what to do.

I hope he feels better soon!

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (7946 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (9044 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (17710 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (8025 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (28613 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (9725 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (9053 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (8543 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (43371 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7603 views)