Ear infection in labradoodle.

Breed: Australian Labradood

I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast ear infection (confirmed by swab) for a little over two months. He has been on antibiotics all of that time. For the first week it was Surolan and then switched to Otomax (active ingredient gentimycin). After one week he developed reddened areas that progressed to ulcerated areas in both ears.These areas were biopsied and the results indicated an allergic process. For "ear wash" we've been using a Burrows solution with 2% Hydrocortisone once/day and using the Otomax twice per day. The ear wash we used at first had Boric acid and witch hazel. We switched to saline and he also reacted to that (?carrier solution).Healing of the ulcerated areas has been slow or non-existant. The biopsy was done June 29th. He has been on Hills hypoallergenic food since June 26th. Unsure if the infection is gone but the vet said that she was unable to get all the debris out of ears at the time of the biopsy. What should the next step be? Thanks for your time!

Sheila Farnell

Oh, poor Satchmo! I have had a few frustrating cases like this. Ear problems can sometimes be really difficult to deal with. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

While ultimately the decision on what to do next lies with your vet, I can give you some ideas as to what I might do if it was my case.

Sometimes when I suspect allergies and a dog is not doing well with ear medication I will take a dog off of all medicine in the ear for a period of time and put him on oral prednisone. Prednisone is a steroid which will reduce the inflammation and help with any allergy that is there.

Then, after a week or so on prednisone I would look at the ear again. Do you know if a culture was done? This is where a swab is sent to the lab to grow what type of bacteria is present. It's possible that he has a resistant type of infection and may need a combo of antibiotics. This test will tell us which treatment is best.

You can also ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. These specialists are used to seeing the frustrating cases and sometimes have more experience in what to do.

I hope he feels better soon!

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (15566 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (23518 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (10518 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (30490 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (14646 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (12993 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (10548 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (15947 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (6258 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (24859 views)