Ear infection in labradoodle.

Breed: Australian Labradood

I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast ear infection (confirmed by swab) for a little over two months. He has been on antibiotics all of that time. For the first week it was Surolan and then switched to Otomax (active ingredient gentimycin). After one week he developed reddened areas that progressed to ulcerated areas in both ears.These areas were biopsied and the results indicated an allergic process. For "ear wash" we've been using a Burrows solution with 2% Hydrocortisone once/day and using the Otomax twice per day. The ear wash we used at first had Boric acid and witch hazel. We switched to saline and he also reacted to that (?carrier solution).Healing of the ulcerated areas has been slow or non-existant. The biopsy was done June 29th. He has been on Hills hypoallergenic food since June 26th. Unsure if the infection is gone but the vet said that she was unable to get all the debris out of ears at the time of the biopsy. What should the next step be? Thanks for your time!

Sheila Farnell

Oh, poor Satchmo! I have had a few frustrating cases like this. Ear problems can sometimes be really difficult to deal with. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

While ultimately the decision on what to do next lies with your vet, I can give you some ideas as to what I might do if it was my case.

Sometimes when I suspect allergies and a dog is not doing well with ear medication I will take a dog off of all medicine in the ear for a period of time and put him on oral prednisone. Prednisone is a steroid which will reduce the inflammation and help with any allergy that is there.

Then, after a week or so on prednisone I would look at the ear again. Do you know if a culture was done? This is where a swab is sent to the lab to grow what type of bacteria is present. It's possible that he has a resistant type of infection and may need a combo of antibiotics. This test will tell us which treatment is best.

You can also ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. These specialists are used to seeing the frustrating cases and sometimes have more experience in what to do.

I hope he feels better soon!

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (20871 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (9555 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (78812 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (680433 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (5576 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (5664 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (10085 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (13331 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (6460 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (30837 views)