Infection on leg.

Breed: beagle mix breed
My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there appears to be a small raw looking area. Today I noticed the raw looking area appeared to be a bit moist. I'm not sure if he had just licked the area or if it is a bit pussy. I have put one of those cones around his head to prevent him from licking the area. Is there anything I can do to treat the area to help it heal? I have read mixed reviews about using hydrogen peroxide and or neosporin. Is there an effective home remedy?

It sounds like Calvin is quite uncomfortable!

I can't say for certain what this is without actually examining him, but I'm suspicious that he may have something called a "hot spot". A hot spot is a localized area of skin infection.

Unfortunately these usually do need antibiotic pills in order to heal and this would mean having your vet see Calvin.

Peroxide is good for initially cleaning a hot spot. But, using it repeatedly can actually slow down the healing so I don't recommend it.

Dogs can get some relief from a hot spot by using some steroid cream. You can usually buy hydrocortisone cream without a prescription. Using a small amount three times a day can help. However, the wound is not likely to heal without antibiotics.

About the neosporin...again, this can give some temporary relief. But, it is extremely weak and won't heal the wound.

By far the best thing I can recommend is to have Calvin seen by a vet as soon as possible. Hot spots have a tendency to spread very quickly. I have had some cases where the infection was left for too long and dogs have needed sedation or even surgery in order to heal it. Having him seen right away is definitely the best idea.

I hope things are better soon!

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (19042 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (11485 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (12647 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (98968 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (14805 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (13495 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (19913 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (27659 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (9552 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (20343 views)