Infection on leg.

Breed: beagle mix breed
My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there appears to be a small raw looking area. Today I noticed the raw looking area appeared to be a bit moist. I'm not sure if he had just licked the area or if it is a bit pussy. I have put one of those cones around his head to prevent him from licking the area. Is there anything I can do to treat the area to help it heal? I have read mixed reviews about using hydrogen peroxide and or neosporin. Is there an effective home remedy?

It sounds like Calvin is quite uncomfortable!

I can't say for certain what this is without actually examining him, but I'm suspicious that he may have something called a "hot spot". A hot spot is a localized area of skin infection.

Unfortunately these usually do need antibiotic pills in order to heal and this would mean having your vet see Calvin.

Peroxide is good for initially cleaning a hot spot. But, using it repeatedly can actually slow down the healing so I don't recommend it.

Dogs can get some relief from a hot spot by using some steroid cream. You can usually buy hydrocortisone cream without a prescription. Using a small amount three times a day can help. However, the wound is not likely to heal without antibiotics.

About the neosporin...again, this can give some temporary relief. But, it is extremely weak and won't heal the wound.

By far the best thing I can recommend is to have Calvin seen by a vet as soon as possible. Hot spots have a tendency to spread very quickly. I have had some cases where the infection was left for too long and dogs have needed sedation or even surgery in order to heal it. Having him seen right away is definitely the best idea.

I hope things are better soon!

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (9908 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (6970 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (4491 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13250 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (24911 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (14718 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (9306 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4149 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (12250 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (9991 views)