Infection on leg.

Breed: beagle mix breed
My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there appears to be a small raw looking area. Today I noticed the raw looking area appeared to be a bit moist. I'm not sure if he had just licked the area or if it is a bit pussy. I have put one of those cones around his head to prevent him from licking the area. Is there anything I can do to treat the area to help it heal? I have read mixed reviews about using hydrogen peroxide and or neosporin. Is there an effective home remedy?

It sounds like Calvin is quite uncomfortable!

I can't say for certain what this is without actually examining him, but I'm suspicious that he may have something called a "hot spot". A hot spot is a localized area of skin infection.

Unfortunately these usually do need antibiotic pills in order to heal and this would mean having your vet see Calvin.

Peroxide is good for initially cleaning a hot spot. But, using it repeatedly can actually slow down the healing so I don't recommend it.

Dogs can get some relief from a hot spot by using some steroid cream. You can usually buy hydrocortisone cream without a prescription. Using a small amount three times a day can help. However, the wound is not likely to heal without antibiotics.

About the neosporin...again, this can give some temporary relief. But, it is extremely weak and won't heal the wound.

By far the best thing I can recommend is to have Calvin seen by a vet as soon as possible. Hot spots have a tendency to spread very quickly. I have had some cases where the infection was left for too long and dogs have needed sedation or even surgery in order to heal it. Having him seen right away is definitely the best idea.

I hope things are better soon!

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (9147 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (10557 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (82951 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (13280 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (5291 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10765 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9353 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (17092 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (9106 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (8731 views)