Infection on leg.

Breed: beagle mix breed
My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there appears to be a small raw looking area. Today I noticed the raw looking area appeared to be a bit moist. I'm not sure if he had just licked the area or if it is a bit pussy. I have put one of those cones around his head to prevent him from licking the area. Is there anything I can do to treat the area to help it heal? I have read mixed reviews about using hydrogen peroxide and or neosporin. Is there an effective home remedy?

It sounds like Calvin is quite uncomfortable!

I can't say for certain what this is without actually examining him, but I'm suspicious that he may have something called a "hot spot". A hot spot is a localized area of skin infection.

Unfortunately these usually do need antibiotic pills in order to heal and this would mean having your vet see Calvin.

Peroxide is good for initially cleaning a hot spot. But, using it repeatedly can actually slow down the healing so I don't recommend it.

Dogs can get some relief from a hot spot by using some steroid cream. You can usually buy hydrocortisone cream without a prescription. Using a small amount three times a day can help. However, the wound is not likely to heal without antibiotics.

About the neosporin...again, this can give some temporary relief. But, it is extremely weak and won't heal the wound.

By far the best thing I can recommend is to have Calvin seen by a vet as soon as possible. Hot spots have a tendency to spread very quickly. I have had some cases where the infection was left for too long and dogs have needed sedation or even surgery in order to heal it. Having him seen right away is definitely the best idea.

I hope things are better soon!

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (31195 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (70601 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (13914 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (20379 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10657 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (13760 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4191 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (9720 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (13069 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4886 views)