Infection on leg.

Breed: beagle mix breed
My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there appears to be a small raw looking area. Today I noticed the raw looking area appeared to be a bit moist. I'm not sure if he had just licked the area or if it is a bit pussy. I have put one of those cones around his head to prevent him from licking the area. Is there anything I can do to treat the area to help it heal? I have read mixed reviews about using hydrogen peroxide and or neosporin. Is there an effective home remedy?

It sounds like Calvin is quite uncomfortable!

I can't say for certain what this is without actually examining him, but I'm suspicious that he may have something called a "hot spot". A hot spot is a localized area of skin infection.

Unfortunately these usually do need antibiotic pills in order to heal and this would mean having your vet see Calvin.

Peroxide is good for initially cleaning a hot spot. But, using it repeatedly can actually slow down the healing so I don't recommend it.

Dogs can get some relief from a hot spot by using some steroid cream. You can usually buy hydrocortisone cream without a prescription. Using a small amount three times a day can help. However, the wound is not likely to heal without antibiotics.

About the neosporin...again, this can give some temporary relief. But, it is extremely weak and won't heal the wound.

By far the best thing I can recommend is to have Calvin seen by a vet as soon as possible. Hot spots have a tendency to spread very quickly. I have had some cases where the infection was left for too long and dogs have needed sedation or even surgery in order to heal it. Having him seen right away is definitely the best idea.

I hope things are better soon!

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (9046 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (13872 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (5080 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (9991 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (51186 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (13290 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (16709 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (15554 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (9764 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (14494 views)