Do cats get pink eye?

Breed:
My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. When she woke up fri a it was sealed shut and had puss on it. She wiped it with a warm wet cloth and kitty opened her eye. When I got home last night her eyes were open and she is acting quite normal but there is some crusty black residue around both eyes. To be honest, my funds are terribly tight and unless she really needs to go I simply don't have the money for an extra vet bill. If she really needs to be seen of course I will take her. Thank you so much for your expertise!!!!

Cats actually don't get pink eye. If a cat has a red eye with discharge it usually means that there is infection there. Now, most of the time, the infection needs prescription antibiotic medication in order to be cleared up. I have had cases, however that have cleared up on their own so if you feel that Daisy is doing better it may be ok to wait a day or two.

Here are some reasons that you would definitely need to go to the vet:

-green or yellow discharge that lasts more than 24 hours.
-if she is squinting her eye
-if she doesn't want to eat.

I hope she is feeling better soon!

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (50917 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (10659 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (7785 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (15620 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (28235 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (6194 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (20748 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (11837 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (9741 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (10346 views)