Grapeseed extract and dogs.

Breed: Mix
Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after dog was sickened by milos and waggin train... Anyways, dogs shouldn't have grapes so why would the extract be good... I think the treats making dogs ill and worse may have to have something that only affects dogs do won't show as bad in lab tests. I tried to find out online the exact ingredients but can't. So, I don't know if I am on to something but it didn't make sense to have that extract listed on this no name kind. I think the mixed tocopherols may be derived or related to grapes or the propylene glycol is a combo problem... I don't know chemistry, but thought you may. I sound like a crack pot and also tried to email/ask fda, but saw your site and thought it was worth asking. Our dogs survived but I threw those bags away early. And then bought only american made and distributed... Hope this leads to an answer if I am thinking along the right lines... Thanks for your contribution to the public.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

Thanks for an interesting question.

As far as we know, grapeseed extract is not toxic to dogs. The rationale for this is that we have seen dogs get sick by eating seedless grapes. So, whatever it is that is toxic in grapes for some dogs, does not seem to come from the seeds.

It's a good idea though. You're not a crack pot. :)

I wish they would find the answer to the chicken jerky problem soon!

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (8644 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (7746 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (13270 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (15075 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (11100 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (16535 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (8750 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (27737 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (4345 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (15695 views)