Cat puffing its hair out.

Breed: Idk
Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that they will puff their hair out fur? Twice now I have seen my 7mo old cat have her tail puffed out really big and a Mohawk down her head and back for no reason, I just walk around the corner and see her sitting all crunched do like this, and when I touch her tail the actual tail not fur feels really tense, what should I do? Thank you!

Thanks for an interesting question!

There is no medical reason that I am aware of for a cat to puff her hair out like this. It is almost always because of a response of the "fight or flight" response of our nervous system.

I have seen cats do this if they were really cold as well.

It's hard to say what caused your cat to do this but it's unlikely to be because of a medical condition!

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (27363 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (11966 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (19025 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (79671 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (14343 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (14768 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (18969 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (5111 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (10127 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (22999 views)