Cat puffing its hair out.

Breed: Idk
Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that they will puff their hair out fur? Twice now I have seen my 7mo old cat have her tail puffed out really big and a Mohawk down her head and back for no reason, I just walk around the corner and see her sitting all crunched do like this, and when I touch her tail the actual tail not fur feels really tense, what should I do? Thank you!

Thanks for an interesting question!

There is no medical reason that I am aware of for a cat to puff her hair out like this. It is almost always because of a response of the "fight or flight" response of our nervous system.

I have seen cats do this if they were really cold as well.

It's hard to say what caused your cat to do this but it's unlikely to be because of a medical condition!

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (11275 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (9899 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (18432 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (25147 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (11244 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (23569 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (48590 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (32764 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (12029 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (10735 views)