Cat puffing its hair out.

Breed: Idk
Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that they will puff their hair out fur? Twice now I have seen my 7mo old cat have her tail puffed out really big and a Mohawk down her head and back for no reason, I just walk around the corner and see her sitting all crunched do like this, and when I touch her tail the actual tail not fur feels really tense, what should I do? Thank you!

Thanks for an interesting question!

There is no medical reason that I am aware of for a cat to puff her hair out like this. It is almost always because of a response of the "fight or flight" response of our nervous system.

I have seen cats do this if they were really cold as well.

It's hard to say what caused your cat to do this but it's unlikely to be because of a medical condition!

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (5159 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5163 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (20739 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (9945 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (11668 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (35193 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4830 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14806 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (10503 views)

Dog won't pee in the yard. Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently... (30247 views)