Cat puffing its hair out.

Breed: Idk
Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that they will puff their hair out fur? Twice now I have seen my 7mo old cat have her tail puffed out really big and a Mohawk down her head and back for no reason, I just walk around the corner and see her sitting all crunched do like this, and when I touch her tail the actual tail not fur feels really tense, what should I do? Thank you!

Thanks for an interesting question!

There is no medical reason that I am aware of for a cat to puff her hair out like this. It is almost always because of a response of the "fight or flight" response of our nervous system.

I have seen cats do this if they were really cold as well.

It's hard to say what caused your cat to do this but it's unlikely to be because of a medical condition!

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (10518 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (7450 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (23788 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (10140 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6457 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (71547 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (9508 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (5692 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (19925 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (11497 views)