Cat puffing its hair out.

Breed: Idk
Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that they will puff their hair out fur? Twice now I have seen my 7mo old cat have her tail puffed out really big and a Mohawk down her head and back for no reason, I just walk around the corner and see her sitting all crunched do like this, and when I touch her tail the actual tail not fur feels really tense, what should I do? Thank you!

Thanks for an interesting question!

There is no medical reason that I am aware of for a cat to puff her hair out like this. It is almost always because of a response of the "fight or flight" response of our nervous system.

I have seen cats do this if they were really cold as well.

It's hard to say what caused your cat to do this but it's unlikely to be because of a medical condition!

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (8266 views)

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (9673 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (10847 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (10978 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (9398 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (7777 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (6400 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (12664 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (8029 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (7560 views)