Cat puffing its hair out.

Breed: Idk
Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that they will puff their hair out fur? Twice now I have seen my 7mo old cat have her tail puffed out really big and a Mohawk down her head and back for no reason, I just walk around the corner and see her sitting all crunched do like this, and when I touch her tail the actual tail not fur feels really tense, what should I do? Thank you!

Thanks for an interesting question!

There is no medical reason that I am aware of for a cat to puff her hair out like this. It is almost always because of a response of the "fight or flight" response of our nervous system.

I have seen cats do this if they were really cold as well.

It's hard to say what caused your cat to do this but it's unlikely to be because of a medical condition!

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (19605 views)

Old dog with mammary lump Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight... (10473 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (70003 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (22681 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11650 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (8309 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (20611 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7960 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (35799 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6345 views)