Cat puffing its hair out.

Breed: Idk
Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that they will puff their hair out fur? Twice now I have seen my 7mo old cat have her tail puffed out really big and a Mohawk down her head and back for no reason, I just walk around the corner and see her sitting all crunched do like this, and when I touch her tail the actual tail not fur feels really tense, what should I do? Thank you!

Thanks for an interesting question!

There is no medical reason that I am aware of for a cat to puff her hair out like this. It is almost always because of a response of the "fight or flight" response of our nervous system.

I have seen cats do this if they were really cold as well.

It's hard to say what caused your cat to do this but it's unlikely to be because of a medical condition!

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (51568 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (15543 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (16064 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (14587 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (14692 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (10302 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (23668 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (10892 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (5525 views)

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (7191 views)