Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism?

Breed: Beagle
My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in clumps, weight gain, and many small black spots under tongue. I thought it might be her thyroid but the spots under tongue are throwing me off. She hasn't been around any other pets and traveling to vet stresses her out, also she doesn't act as if she is in pain. Is this something I should stress her out with by taking her in?

This is an interesting set of symptoms. There really is no condition that I can think of that would cause black spots to appear under a dog's tongue. The vast majority of the time when a client has brought in a dog because they noticed black spots on the tongue they have been just normal pigment spots. Sometimes these spots can get larger over time. I think that in many cases the spots were always there but the owner just noticed them because they were examining the pet more closely looking for clues as to what is going wrong with the dog.

Now, if the spots look painful or seem to be bothering the dog then that's a different story and I would get them checked out right away.

A poor hair coat and weight gain certainly can be signs of hypothyroidism. It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine your dog and perhaps do some blood tests to determine if the thyroid is a problem.

However, coughing is not a symptom of hypothyroidism. If this is a sudden cough then it might be that she has a problem like kennel cough. If it has been going on for a while then I would be concerned about something more serious such as heart disease or another type of lung condition.

It does sound like a veterinary checkup is a good idea. However, be prepared for your vet to want to do some tests. If this were my case I'd want to be doing a full set of blood tests (biochemistry, CBC and thyroid) as well as some chest xrays.

Hope everything works out ok!

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (11096 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (65791 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35771 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (10223 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (8601 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (42793 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (30280 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12839 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (8433 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (25298 views)