Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism?

Breed: Beagle
My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in clumps, weight gain, and many small black spots under tongue. I thought it might be her thyroid but the spots under tongue are throwing me off. She hasn't been around any other pets and traveling to vet stresses her out, also she doesn't act as if she is in pain. Is this something I should stress her out with by taking her in?

This is an interesting set of symptoms. There really is no condition that I can think of that would cause black spots to appear under a dog's tongue. The vast majority of the time when a client has brought in a dog because they noticed black spots on the tongue they have been just normal pigment spots. Sometimes these spots can get larger over time. I think that in many cases the spots were always there but the owner just noticed them because they were examining the pet more closely looking for clues as to what is going wrong with the dog.

Now, if the spots look painful or seem to be bothering the dog then that's a different story and I would get them checked out right away.

A poor hair coat and weight gain certainly can be signs of hypothyroidism. It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine your dog and perhaps do some blood tests to determine if the thyroid is a problem.

However, coughing is not a symptom of hypothyroidism. If this is a sudden cough then it might be that she has a problem like kennel cough. If it has been going on for a while then I would be concerned about something more serious such as heart disease or another type of lung condition.

It does sound like a veterinary checkup is a good idea. However, be prepared for your vet to want to do some tests. If this were my case I'd want to be doing a full set of blood tests (biochemistry, CBC and thyroid) as well as some chest xrays.

Hope everything works out ok!

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (21235 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (16367 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (11584 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (8328 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (14172 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (10981 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (20525 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (10295 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (19412 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (23856 views)