Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism?

Breed: Beagle
My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in clumps, weight gain, and many small black spots under tongue. I thought it might be her thyroid but the spots under tongue are throwing me off. She hasn't been around any other pets and traveling to vet stresses her out, also she doesn't act as if she is in pain. Is this something I should stress her out with by taking her in?

This is an interesting set of symptoms. There really is no condition that I can think of that would cause black spots to appear under a dog's tongue. The vast majority of the time when a client has brought in a dog because they noticed black spots on the tongue they have been just normal pigment spots. Sometimes these spots can get larger over time. I think that in many cases the spots were always there but the owner just noticed them because they were examining the pet more closely looking for clues as to what is going wrong with the dog.

Now, if the spots look painful or seem to be bothering the dog then that's a different story and I would get them checked out right away.

A poor hair coat and weight gain certainly can be signs of hypothyroidism. It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine your dog and perhaps do some blood tests to determine if the thyroid is a problem.

However, coughing is not a symptom of hypothyroidism. If this is a sudden cough then it might be that she has a problem like kennel cough. If it has been going on for a while then I would be concerned about something more serious such as heart disease or another type of lung condition.

It does sound like a veterinary checkup is a good idea. However, be prepared for your vet to want to do some tests. If this were my case I'd want to be doing a full set of blood tests (biochemistry, CBC and thyroid) as well as some chest xrays.

Hope everything works out ok!

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (16003 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (9348 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (30454 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (13412 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7589 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (13843 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (7570 views)

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (13026 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (13909 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (12714 views)