Possible diabetes

Breed: long hair domestic
My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he will run to the kitchen sink for a drink he doesn't want to drink all the water available at the bowls on the floor, and this is all day alone. Also when he was a kitten he could jump and get to any place he wanted to. Now he is four years old and he can barely jump onto the bathrom counter he can't jump on the kitchen counter, he is not over wait, at times he does have diarrhea, but that might be from all the water, what could be wrong?

The symptoms that you are describing are really typical of diabetes. A cat with diabetes will have a very large thirst.

After a cat has had diabetes for a while, the disease can start to affect their muscles. We can often see a condition called diabetic polyneuropathy. When this happens, the back legs become weak, which is probably why he is having trouble jumping.

The good news is that diabetes is treatable. Your cat will need insulin injections but most people don't find this too difficult to do. You will also need to be in contact with your vet regularly, especially in the first few months. They will likely be doing repeated glucose curves to determine how much insulin he needs.

If a cat with diabetes is not treated, then they end up going into a serious condition called diabetic ketoacidosis which is fatal.

There are other possibilities for what is going on. I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but I'm very suspicious for diabetes. Hopefully he can see his vet soon!

Thanks a lot, for your help I thought that might be it, so he will be at the vet Monday. Thanks again Connie

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (42893 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (15321 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (30236 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (10603 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (6111 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (81280 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (19303 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (50053 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7609 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (7924 views)