Possible diabetes

Breed: long hair domestic
My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he will run to the kitchen sink for a drink he doesn't want to drink all the water available at the bowls on the floor, and this is all day alone. Also when he was a kitten he could jump and get to any place he wanted to. Now he is four years old and he can barely jump onto the bathrom counter he can't jump on the kitchen counter, he is not over wait, at times he does have diarrhea, but that might be from all the water, what could be wrong?

The symptoms that you are describing are really typical of diabetes. A cat with diabetes will have a very large thirst.

After a cat has had diabetes for a while, the disease can start to affect their muscles. We can often see a condition called diabetic polyneuropathy. When this happens, the back legs become weak, which is probably why he is having trouble jumping.

The good news is that diabetes is treatable. Your cat will need insulin injections but most people don't find this too difficult to do. You will also need to be in contact with your vet regularly, especially in the first few months. They will likely be doing repeated glucose curves to determine how much insulin he needs.

If a cat with diabetes is not treated, then they end up going into a serious condition called diabetic ketoacidosis which is fatal.

There are other possibilities for what is going on. I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but I'm very suspicious for diabetes. Hopefully he can see his vet soon!

Thanks a lot, for your help I thought that might be it, so he will be at the vet Monday. Thanks again Connie

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (14356 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (11847 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (26254 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (8316 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (12682 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13030 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (11062 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (9365 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (7451 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (22201 views)