Possible diabetes

Breed: long hair domestic
My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he will run to the kitchen sink for a drink he doesn't want to drink all the water available at the bowls on the floor, and this is all day alone. Also when he was a kitten he could jump and get to any place he wanted to. Now he is four years old and he can barely jump onto the bathrom counter he can't jump on the kitchen counter, he is not over wait, at times he does have diarrhea, but that might be from all the water, what could be wrong?

The symptoms that you are describing are really typical of diabetes. A cat with diabetes will have a very large thirst.

After a cat has had diabetes for a while, the disease can start to affect their muscles. We can often see a condition called diabetic polyneuropathy. When this happens, the back legs become weak, which is probably why he is having trouble jumping.

The good news is that diabetes is treatable. Your cat will need insulin injections but most people don't find this too difficult to do. You will also need to be in contact with your vet regularly, especially in the first few months. They will likely be doing repeated glucose curves to determine how much insulin he needs.

If a cat with diabetes is not treated, then they end up going into a serious condition called diabetic ketoacidosis which is fatal.

There are other possibilities for what is going on. I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but I'm very suspicious for diabetes. Hopefully he can see his vet soon!

Thanks a lot, for your help I thought that might be it, so he will be at the vet Monday. Thanks again Connie

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (14195 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (25115 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (9513 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (9314 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (7512 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (11275 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (8694 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (12998 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (9105 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (9439 views)