Possible diabetes

Breed: long hair domestic
My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he will run to the kitchen sink for a drink he doesn't want to drink all the water available at the bowls on the floor, and this is all day alone. Also when he was a kitten he could jump and get to any place he wanted to. Now he is four years old and he can barely jump onto the bathrom counter he can't jump on the kitchen counter, he is not over wait, at times he does have diarrhea, but that might be from all the water, what could be wrong?

The symptoms that you are describing are really typical of diabetes. A cat with diabetes will have a very large thirst.

After a cat has had diabetes for a while, the disease can start to affect their muscles. We can often see a condition called diabetic polyneuropathy. When this happens, the back legs become weak, which is probably why he is having trouble jumping.

The good news is that diabetes is treatable. Your cat will need insulin injections but most people don't find this too difficult to do. You will also need to be in contact with your vet regularly, especially in the first few months. They will likely be doing repeated glucose curves to determine how much insulin he needs.

If a cat with diabetes is not treated, then they end up going into a serious condition called diabetic ketoacidosis which is fatal.

There are other possibilities for what is going on. I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but I'm very suspicious for diabetes. Hopefully he can see his vet soon!

Thanks a lot, for your help I thought that might be it, so he will be at the vet Monday. Thanks again Connie

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9238 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (12615 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (16336 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (43397 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (10269 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (20925 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (8539 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (15213 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9697 views)

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (7251 views)