Possible diabetes

Breed: long hair domestic
My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he will run to the kitchen sink for a drink he doesn't want to drink all the water available at the bowls on the floor, and this is all day alone. Also when he was a kitten he could jump and get to any place he wanted to. Now he is four years old and he can barely jump onto the bathrom counter he can't jump on the kitchen counter, he is not over wait, at times he does have diarrhea, but that might be from all the water, what could be wrong?

The symptoms that you are describing are really typical of diabetes. A cat with diabetes will have a very large thirst.

After a cat has had diabetes for a while, the disease can start to affect their muscles. We can often see a condition called diabetic polyneuropathy. When this happens, the back legs become weak, which is probably why he is having trouble jumping.

The good news is that diabetes is treatable. Your cat will need insulin injections but most people don't find this too difficult to do. You will also need to be in contact with your vet regularly, especially in the first few months. They will likely be doing repeated glucose curves to determine how much insulin he needs.

If a cat with diabetes is not treated, then they end up going into a serious condition called diabetic ketoacidosis which is fatal.

There are other possibilities for what is going on. I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but I'm very suspicious for diabetes. Hopefully he can see his vet soon!

Thanks a lot, for your help I thought that might be it, so he will be at the vet Monday. Thanks again Connie

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (21761 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (5972 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (14621 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (14410 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (11213 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (14081 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (8417 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (15691 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (27773 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (32375 views)