Licking foot.

Breed: collie
In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later, he began biting, scratching and licking himself everywhere and his skin became very infected. After many tests, and a lot of money, it turned out he was infested with scabies. He was treated with Revolution, antiobiotics, prednisone, and topical sprays and creams. By August, the scabies were gone. He continues to bite and chew his back paw. It is swollen and raw. He has been in the ecollar since April, and it is awful for him, and for us. I am looking for a solution to keep him away from the paw, so he can be normal again, and not wear the cone. Thank you for any suggestions or input you may have.

Sorry to hear that you and Elvis have had to go through this hard time. Scabies can be very frustrating!

This is a hard question for me to answer without seeing his paw. I'm wondering though if he may have something called a lick granuloma. This is a lesion that happens because of licking and then there is a vicious cycle - The licking causes it to be itchy, so he licks more, and so it goes.

There are many different ways to treat these, but most of them involve medication (from your vet) to put on the area to help with the irritation and also keeping him from licking it.

Some dogs will leave an area like this alone if you cover it with a sock and use duct tape on the top of the sock to keep it on.

It's also possible that there is an infection on his foot. If this is the case he'll need some oral antibiotics.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (13570 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (19721 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (6110 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (20647 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (3863 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (3459 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (5522 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (16918 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (4156 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (4859 views)