Licking foot.

Breed: collie
In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later, he began biting, scratching and licking himself everywhere and his skin became very infected. After many tests, and a lot of money, it turned out he was infested with scabies. He was treated with Revolution, antiobiotics, prednisone, and topical sprays and creams. By August, the scabies were gone. He continues to bite and chew his back paw. It is swollen and raw. He has been in the ecollar since April, and it is awful for him, and for us. I am looking for a solution to keep him away from the paw, so he can be normal again, and not wear the cone. Thank you for any suggestions or input you may have.

Sorry to hear that you and Elvis have had to go through this hard time. Scabies can be very frustrating!

This is a hard question for me to answer without seeing his paw. I'm wondering though if he may have something called a lick granuloma. This is a lesion that happens because of licking and then there is a vicious cycle - The licking causes it to be itchy, so he licks more, and so it goes.

There are many different ways to treat these, but most of them involve medication (from your vet) to put on the area to help with the irritation and also keeping him from licking it.

Some dogs will leave an area like this alone if you cover it with a sock and use duct tape on the top of the sock to keep it on.

It's also possible that there is an infection on his foot. If this is the case he'll need some oral antibiotics.

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (3038 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (6798 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (8801 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (23886 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (13401 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (3906 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (10095 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (36685 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (37075 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (6524 views)