Licking foot.

Breed: collie
In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later, he began biting, scratching and licking himself everywhere and his skin became very infected. After many tests, and a lot of money, it turned out he was infested with scabies. He was treated with Revolution, antiobiotics, prednisone, and topical sprays and creams. By August, the scabies were gone. He continues to bite and chew his back paw. It is swollen and raw. He has been in the ecollar since April, and it is awful for him, and for us. I am looking for a solution to keep him away from the paw, so he can be normal again, and not wear the cone. Thank you for any suggestions or input you may have.

Sorry to hear that you and Elvis have had to go through this hard time. Scabies can be very frustrating!

This is a hard question for me to answer without seeing his paw. I'm wondering though if he may have something called a lick granuloma. This is a lesion that happens because of licking and then there is a vicious cycle - The licking causes it to be itchy, so he licks more, and so it goes.

There are many different ways to treat these, but most of them involve medication (from your vet) to put on the area to help with the irritation and also keeping him from licking it.

Some dogs will leave an area like this alone if you cover it with a sock and use duct tape on the top of the sock to keep it on.

It's also possible that there is an infection on his foot. If this is the case he'll need some oral antibiotics.

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (20762 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (12994 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (21882 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4039 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (7910 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (4513 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (80625 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (10926 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (3508 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (17525 views)