Licking foot.

Breed: collie
In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later, he began biting, scratching and licking himself everywhere and his skin became very infected. After many tests, and a lot of money, it turned out he was infested with scabies. He was treated with Revolution, antiobiotics, prednisone, and topical sprays and creams. By August, the scabies were gone. He continues to bite and chew his back paw. It is swollen and raw. He has been in the ecollar since April, and it is awful for him, and for us. I am looking for a solution to keep him away from the paw, so he can be normal again, and not wear the cone. Thank you for any suggestions or input you may have.

Sorry to hear that you and Elvis have had to go through this hard time. Scabies can be very frustrating!

This is a hard question for me to answer without seeing his paw. I'm wondering though if he may have something called a lick granuloma. This is a lesion that happens because of licking and then there is a vicious cycle - The licking causes it to be itchy, so he licks more, and so it goes.

There are many different ways to treat these, but most of them involve medication (from your vet) to put on the area to help with the irritation and also keeping him from licking it.

Some dogs will leave an area like this alone if you cover it with a sock and use duct tape on the top of the sock to keep it on.

It's also possible that there is an infection on his foot. If this is the case he'll need some oral antibiotics.

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (8644 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (23673 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (15939 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (10078 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (35955 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (15941 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (12213 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (24705 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (13931 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (6979 views)