Diabetes and IBD.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
Hi Dr. Marie-
This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I have a 13 year old cat who has multiple problems: diabetes, IBD and recently bladder stones. Two years ago, the IBD got so bad that she stopped eating, lost too much weight too fast and almost died from liver problems. She was put on a feeding tube and miraculously pulled through (she's not still on the feeding tube). She also developed diabetes at this time, which went into remission for a while, then returned. About a year ago, my vet noticed bladder stones, but since she is older and diabetic and they didn't seem to bother her, the vet chose to leave it as is. A few months ago, the stones blocked her bladder and she had to have surgery. Which leads me to my question. I normally trust my vet, but she is insisting that my cat eat the Royal Canin HP dry food (along with a wet food) to help prevent more bladder stones. This food severely aggravates my cat's IBD - I have discovered over the years that foods high in grains/carbs bother her IBD, so I have been feeding her a grain free diet until the Royal Canin HP. The Royal Canin causes chronic diarrhea and vomiting in my cat. The last thing I want is for her to end up on a feeding tube again! I understand my vet doesn't want bladder stones to reappear, but I don't think it's fair to my cat to make her live with chronic diarrhea and vomiting. Is there any other type of food I can try? Should I switch her to an all wet food diet? I also can't imagine that a high carb food is good for her diabetes. If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Teresa

This is a tough question to answer. A few things don't make sense to me though. Royal Canin HP is not a food meant for bladder stones. It is a hypoallergenic food and really should be a good choice for a cat with IBD. Every cat is different though, and if the food aggravates the IBD I can't see why the vet would want to keep Chloe on it.

You may want to call and talk to your vet, or possibly make another appointment so that you can get a good thorough consult to discuss the food issues. Your vet will not want Chloe to be living with vomiting and diarrhea.

It's a tough situation to have a diabetic cat with IBD because we would commonly use a steroid like prednisone or prednisolone for IBD but this is not safe in a diabetic cat. Sometimes there can be other medications that may help such as cyclosproin or even vitamin B12 that could possibly help.

I'm wondering if perhaps you meant to say that the food Chloe was put on was Royal Canin S/O. This is the more common food for cats with bladder stones. If I have a patient who needs s/o but can't have it because of allergies then I have to weigh the pros and cons. I usually try to find ways to medically manage the IBD and stay on the s/o because quite often these stones can come back.

When I have complicated dietary cases like this I will often consult with one of the veterinarians who works for either Royal Canin or Hill's. You may hear these companies getting a bad rap in internet forums, but personally I greatly respect the research and veterinary knowledge that comes from their veterinary nutritionists. When I have a complicated dietary case they can often help me find a solution that will help with all of the problems. You may want to ask your vet if they could consider consulting with their food reps.

I wish I could add more. The case sounds very complicated. Let me know if you have more questions though.

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (62216 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (39646 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (11103 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (19304 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (6067 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (11571 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (68245 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (37618 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (11161 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (14576 views)