Diabetes and IBD.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
Hi Dr. Marie-
This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I have a 13 year old cat who has multiple problems: diabetes, IBD and recently bladder stones. Two years ago, the IBD got so bad that she stopped eating, lost too much weight too fast and almost died from liver problems. She was put on a feeding tube and miraculously pulled through (she's not still on the feeding tube). She also developed diabetes at this time, which went into remission for a while, then returned. About a year ago, my vet noticed bladder stones, but since she is older and diabetic and they didn't seem to bother her, the vet chose to leave it as is. A few months ago, the stones blocked her bladder and she had to have surgery. Which leads me to my question. I normally trust my vet, but she is insisting that my cat eat the Royal Canin HP dry food (along with a wet food) to help prevent more bladder stones. This food severely aggravates my cat's IBD - I have discovered over the years that foods high in grains/carbs bother her IBD, so I have been feeding her a grain free diet until the Royal Canin HP. The Royal Canin causes chronic diarrhea and vomiting in my cat. The last thing I want is for her to end up on a feeding tube again! I understand my vet doesn't want bladder stones to reappear, but I don't think it's fair to my cat to make her live with chronic diarrhea and vomiting. Is there any other type of food I can try? Should I switch her to an all wet food diet? I also can't imagine that a high carb food is good for her diabetes. If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Teresa

This is a tough question to answer. A few things don't make sense to me though. Royal Canin HP is not a food meant for bladder stones. It is a hypoallergenic food and really should be a good choice for a cat with IBD. Every cat is different though, and if the food aggravates the IBD I can't see why the vet would want to keep Chloe on it.

You may want to call and talk to your vet, or possibly make another appointment so that you can get a good thorough consult to discuss the food issues. Your vet will not want Chloe to be living with vomiting and diarrhea.

It's a tough situation to have a diabetic cat with IBD because we would commonly use a steroid like prednisone or prednisolone for IBD but this is not safe in a diabetic cat. Sometimes there can be other medications that may help such as cyclosproin or even vitamin B12 that could possibly help.

I'm wondering if perhaps you meant to say that the food Chloe was put on was Royal Canin S/O. This is the more common food for cats with bladder stones. If I have a patient who needs s/o but can't have it because of allergies then I have to weigh the pros and cons. I usually try to find ways to medically manage the IBD and stay on the s/o because quite often these stones can come back.

When I have complicated dietary cases like this I will often consult with one of the veterinarians who works for either Royal Canin or Hill's. You may hear these companies getting a bad rap in internet forums, but personally I greatly respect the research and veterinary knowledge that comes from their veterinary nutritionists. When I have a complicated dietary case they can often help me find a solution that will help with all of the problems. You may want to ask your vet if they could consider consulting with their food reps.

I wish I could add more. The case sounds very complicated. Let me know if you have more questions though.

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (7429 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (19054 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (9393 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (33164 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (15647 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (21009 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (10486 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (5168 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (20805 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (18346 views)