How to get a guinea pig to lose weight

Breed: White Crested/Americ
Hi Dr. Marie:
Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed. The vet tech said that Squeaky was overweight at 2.66 lbs.

Is there a "best practice" you'd recommend, so I can help Squeaky go back to 2 lbs?

I can't say that I have ever put a guinea pig on a weight loss plan. But, just like any other animal, being overweight is a health risk.

The first thing I would do is try to measure how much guinea pig pellet food she is getting in a day. If you don't give her a specific amount but let her free feed then measure out how much you give her for a few days and then how much is left at the end of the day. Do this for several days so that you can get an idea of what she is getting now. Then, you can cut this down by 10-20% and see how things go.

I would also recommend buying an accurate kitchen scale so that you can weigh her every couple of weeks. The best way to do this is to get a bowl that she will fit in and tare the weight of the bowl and then put her in it.

Obviously, you need to keep an eye on her treats. High sugar fruits or veggies should be cut out or greatly reduced.

If she is not getting guinea pig hay then this is highly recommended as well. Many guinea pigs thrive on a diet that is primarily hay and just a little bit of guinea pig food. However, you do need to make sure that you are giving vitamin C supplements if she is not getting her full ration of guinea pig food.

Hope she slims down soon!

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (17916 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (4923 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (57885 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (9226 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (9989 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (10942 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (18750 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (8775 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (6934 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (6784 views)