How to get a guinea pig to lose weight

Breed: White Crested/Americ
Hi Dr. Marie:
Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed. The vet tech said that Squeaky was overweight at 2.66 lbs.

Is there a "best practice" you'd recommend, so I can help Squeaky go back to 2 lbs?

I can't say that I have ever put a guinea pig on a weight loss plan. But, just like any other animal, being overweight is a health risk.

The first thing I would do is try to measure how much guinea pig pellet food she is getting in a day. If you don't give her a specific amount but let her free feed then measure out how much you give her for a few days and then how much is left at the end of the day. Do this for several days so that you can get an idea of what she is getting now. Then, you can cut this down by 10-20% and see how things go.

I would also recommend buying an accurate kitchen scale so that you can weigh her every couple of weeks. The best way to do this is to get a bowl that she will fit in and tare the weight of the bowl and then put her in it.

Obviously, you need to keep an eye on her treats. High sugar fruits or veggies should be cut out or greatly reduced.

If she is not getting guinea pig hay then this is highly recommended as well. Many guinea pigs thrive on a diet that is primarily hay and just a little bit of guinea pig food. However, you do need to make sure that you are giving vitamin C supplements if she is not getting her full ration of guinea pig food.

Hope she slims down soon!

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (12358 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (11360 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (7974 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (27773 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (13238 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (14676 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (9259 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (8213 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (16504 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (10296 views)