How to get a guinea pig to lose weight

Breed: White Crested/Americ
Hi Dr. Marie:
Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed. The vet tech said that Squeaky was overweight at 2.66 lbs.

Is there a "best practice" you'd recommend, so I can help Squeaky go back to 2 lbs?

I can't say that I have ever put a guinea pig on a weight loss plan. But, just like any other animal, being overweight is a health risk.

The first thing I would do is try to measure how much guinea pig pellet food she is getting in a day. If you don't give her a specific amount but let her free feed then measure out how much you give her for a few days and then how much is left at the end of the day. Do this for several days so that you can get an idea of what she is getting now. Then, you can cut this down by 10-20% and see how things go.

I would also recommend buying an accurate kitchen scale so that you can weigh her every couple of weeks. The best way to do this is to get a bowl that she will fit in and tare the weight of the bowl and then put her in it.

Obviously, you need to keep an eye on her treats. High sugar fruits or veggies should be cut out or greatly reduced.

If she is not getting guinea pig hay then this is highly recommended as well. Many guinea pigs thrive on a diet that is primarily hay and just a little bit of guinea pig food. However, you do need to make sure that you are giving vitamin C supplements if she is not getting her full ration of guinea pig food.

Hope she slims down soon!

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (32427 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (29160 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (4206 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (5704 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (10686 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (22847 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5013 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8561 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (11036 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (7805 views)