How to get a guinea pig to lose weight

Breed: White Crested/Americ
Hi Dr. Marie:
Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed. The vet tech said that Squeaky was overweight at 2.66 lbs.

Is there a "best practice" you'd recommend, so I can help Squeaky go back to 2 lbs?

I can't say that I have ever put a guinea pig on a weight loss plan. But, just like any other animal, being overweight is a health risk.

The first thing I would do is try to measure how much guinea pig pellet food she is getting in a day. If you don't give her a specific amount but let her free feed then measure out how much you give her for a few days and then how much is left at the end of the day. Do this for several days so that you can get an idea of what she is getting now. Then, you can cut this down by 10-20% and see how things go.

I would also recommend buying an accurate kitchen scale so that you can weigh her every couple of weeks. The best way to do this is to get a bowl that she will fit in and tare the weight of the bowl and then put her in it.

Obviously, you need to keep an eye on her treats. High sugar fruits or veggies should be cut out or greatly reduced.

If she is not getting guinea pig hay then this is highly recommended as well. Many guinea pigs thrive on a diet that is primarily hay and just a little bit of guinea pig food. However, you do need to make sure that you are giving vitamin C supplements if she is not getting her full ration of guinea pig food.

Hope she slims down soon!

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (21241 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (24682 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (10891 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (23283 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (23663 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (25949 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (13958 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (11899 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (11499 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (24051 views)