How to get a guinea pig to lose weight

Breed: White Crested/Americ
Hi Dr. Marie:
Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed. The vet tech said that Squeaky was overweight at 2.66 lbs.

Is there a "best practice" you'd recommend, so I can help Squeaky go back to 2 lbs?

I can't say that I have ever put a guinea pig on a weight loss plan. But, just like any other animal, being overweight is a health risk.

The first thing I would do is try to measure how much guinea pig pellet food she is getting in a day. If you don't give her a specific amount but let her free feed then measure out how much you give her for a few days and then how much is left at the end of the day. Do this for several days so that you can get an idea of what she is getting now. Then, you can cut this down by 10-20% and see how things go.

I would also recommend buying an accurate kitchen scale so that you can weigh her every couple of weeks. The best way to do this is to get a bowl that she will fit in and tare the weight of the bowl and then put her in it.

Obviously, you need to keep an eye on her treats. High sugar fruits or veggies should be cut out or greatly reduced.

If she is not getting guinea pig hay then this is highly recommended as well. Many guinea pigs thrive on a diet that is primarily hay and just a little bit of guinea pig food. However, you do need to make sure that you are giving vitamin C supplements if she is not getting her full ration of guinea pig food.

Hope she slims down soon!

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5901 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (13790 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (26175 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10226 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (13597 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (4699 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (15862 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (14099 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (4844 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (158656 views)