Red lump between dog's toes.

Breed: Labrado Retriever
Hello

I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third toes on his right paw and he keeps liking on it. It sometimes bleeds.
Could you tell me what it could be? ( tumor maybe )?
what can I do to make it go away?
Should I take him to a vet?

Other than that, he is happy, healthy and energetic.

Thank you

Hi Seulki...thanks so much for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps like this without actually seeing your dog, but I can give you a few ideas as to what it may be.

Thankfully, my first thought is that it is unlikely to be a tumor...it's still a possibility but there are other things that I think of before tumor.

One possibility is that it could be a reaction to a foreign object such as a splinter or thorn or piece of glass. If that is the case, the body builds up tissue around it and it gets really inflamed and itchy. Some foreign bodies go away with meds prescribed by the vet (antibiotics) but some of them do need to be surgically removed.

Another possibility is something called an interdigital cyst. We don't really know why these appear but they act very similar to a foreign body. Some go away with antibiotics (and sometimes some steroid as well) and some need surgery.

And then the next possibility is a tumor of some sort. Some types of tumors in this area can be very serious and some can be cured with surgery.

I would definitely advise a vet visit. The sooner this gets dealt with the better! In the meantime, there is no harm in trying some epsom salt soaks 2-3 x per day until your vet visit. This may help to reduce the inflammation.

I hope Sam does ok!

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (41470 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (20949 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (11308 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (17219 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (6787 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (23322 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (10853 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (15966 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (10776 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5905 views)