Red lump between dog's toes.

Breed: Labrado Retriever
Hello

I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third toes on his right paw and he keeps liking on it. It sometimes bleeds.
Could you tell me what it could be? ( tumor maybe )?
what can I do to make it go away?
Should I take him to a vet?

Other than that, he is happy, healthy and energetic.

Thank you

Hi Seulki...thanks so much for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps like this without actually seeing your dog, but I can give you a few ideas as to what it may be.

Thankfully, my first thought is that it is unlikely to be a tumor...it's still a possibility but there are other things that I think of before tumor.

One possibility is that it could be a reaction to a foreign object such as a splinter or thorn or piece of glass. If that is the case, the body builds up tissue around it and it gets really inflamed and itchy. Some foreign bodies go away with meds prescribed by the vet (antibiotics) but some of them do need to be surgically removed.

Another possibility is something called an interdigital cyst. We don't really know why these appear but they act very similar to a foreign body. Some go away with antibiotics (and sometimes some steroid as well) and some need surgery.

And then the next possibility is a tumor of some sort. Some types of tumors in this area can be very serious and some can be cured with surgery.

I would definitely advise a vet visit. The sooner this gets dealt with the better! In the meantime, there is no harm in trying some epsom salt soaks 2-3 x per day until your vet visit. This may help to reduce the inflammation.

I hope Sam does ok!

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (11171 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (9638 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (14116 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (22190 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (17865 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (13723 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (14982 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (16388 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (23203 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (30126 views)