Red lump between dog's toes.

Breed: Labrado Retriever
Hello

I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third toes on his right paw and he keeps liking on it. It sometimes bleeds.
Could you tell me what it could be? ( tumor maybe )?
what can I do to make it go away?
Should I take him to a vet?

Other than that, he is happy, healthy and energetic.

Thank you

Hi Seulki...thanks so much for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps like this without actually seeing your dog, but I can give you a few ideas as to what it may be.

Thankfully, my first thought is that it is unlikely to be a tumor...it's still a possibility but there are other things that I think of before tumor.

One possibility is that it could be a reaction to a foreign object such as a splinter or thorn or piece of glass. If that is the case, the body builds up tissue around it and it gets really inflamed and itchy. Some foreign bodies go away with meds prescribed by the vet (antibiotics) but some of them do need to be surgically removed.

Another possibility is something called an interdigital cyst. We don't really know why these appear but they act very similar to a foreign body. Some go away with antibiotics (and sometimes some steroid as well) and some need surgery.

And then the next possibility is a tumor of some sort. Some types of tumors in this area can be very serious and some can be cured with surgery.

I would definitely advise a vet visit. The sooner this gets dealt with the better! In the meantime, there is no harm in trying some epsom salt soaks 2-3 x per day until your vet visit. This may help to reduce the inflammation.

I hope Sam does ok!

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (126272 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (12425 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (7858 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (5877 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (18041 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (16210 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (15805 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (50275 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (7943 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (12588 views)