Cat is eating less and vomiting.

Breed: DSH
Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he has started not to finish his food (leaving a tablespoon or so) and once a week or so vomits after eating (even though he is eating slowly. I am quite worried as my last cat died from (I can't remember the term, something like stomach cancer) with the same type of symptoms. He seems to be acting normally otherwise and has normal bowel and bladder function.

Thank you.

Thanks for your question. This is a tough question to answer because it is hard to say whether or not you need to be worried.

Any time that a cat is eating less food than normal, I get a little bit concerned that something could be going on. But what that "something" is is hard to pin down. It could be that there is a dental problem, a kidney problem, a liver problem, or even an infection of some sort. Is the food a new batch? If so, it's possible that the company has changed their formula and he doesn't like the taste as much.

Does Bernie tend to eat things he shouldn't? Occasional vomiting and reduced appetite could be a sign of a foreign object in the stomach.

Vomiting once a week is not usually something I get too worried about. Most cats will vomit occasionally. If it was happening several times per day I would be more concerned. However, if Bernie never used to vomit and now he vomits once a week it could be a sign of a mild illness.

Ideally it would be a good idea to have your vet do a good physical exam on Bernie and some bloodwork to see if there is evidence of any sort of infection or organ condition.

I likely haven't answered your question fully as the symptoms are quite vague. But then that is the case with a lot of cat conditions! Please let me know if you have more questions.

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (16725 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (39903 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (22872 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (10491 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (22277 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (224470 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (16496 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (10347 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (22466 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (32745 views)