Cat is eating less and vomiting.

Breed: DSH
Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he has started not to finish his food (leaving a tablespoon or so) and once a week or so vomits after eating (even though he is eating slowly. I am quite worried as my last cat died from (I can't remember the term, something like stomach cancer) with the same type of symptoms. He seems to be acting normally otherwise and has normal bowel and bladder function.

Thank you.

Thanks for your question. This is a tough question to answer because it is hard to say whether or not you need to be worried.

Any time that a cat is eating less food than normal, I get a little bit concerned that something could be going on. But what that "something" is is hard to pin down. It could be that there is a dental problem, a kidney problem, a liver problem, or even an infection of some sort. Is the food a new batch? If so, it's possible that the company has changed their formula and he doesn't like the taste as much.

Does Bernie tend to eat things he shouldn't? Occasional vomiting and reduced appetite could be a sign of a foreign object in the stomach.

Vomiting once a week is not usually something I get too worried about. Most cats will vomit occasionally. If it was happening several times per day I would be more concerned. However, if Bernie never used to vomit and now he vomits once a week it could be a sign of a mild illness.

Ideally it would be a good idea to have your vet do a good physical exam on Bernie and some bloodwork to see if there is evidence of any sort of infection or organ condition.

I likely haven't answered your question fully as the symptoms are quite vague. But then that is the case with a lot of cat conditions! Please let me know if you have more questions.

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (20074 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (25156 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (10271 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (12001 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (11612 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (11983 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (6827 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (34947 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5281 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (12932 views)