Cat is eating less and vomiting.

Breed: DSH
Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he has started not to finish his food (leaving a tablespoon or so) and once a week or so vomits after eating (even though he is eating slowly. I am quite worried as my last cat died from (I can't remember the term, something like stomach cancer) with the same type of symptoms. He seems to be acting normally otherwise and has normal bowel and bladder function.

Thank you.

Thanks for your question. This is a tough question to answer because it is hard to say whether or not you need to be worried.

Any time that a cat is eating less food than normal, I get a little bit concerned that something could be going on. But what that "something" is is hard to pin down. It could be that there is a dental problem, a kidney problem, a liver problem, or even an infection of some sort. Is the food a new batch? If so, it's possible that the company has changed their formula and he doesn't like the taste as much.

Does Bernie tend to eat things he shouldn't? Occasional vomiting and reduced appetite could be a sign of a foreign object in the stomach.

Vomiting once a week is not usually something I get too worried about. Most cats will vomit occasionally. If it was happening several times per day I would be more concerned. However, if Bernie never used to vomit and now he vomits once a week it could be a sign of a mild illness.

Ideally it would be a good idea to have your vet do a good physical exam on Bernie and some bloodwork to see if there is evidence of any sort of infection or organ condition.

I likely haven't answered your question fully as the symptoms are quite vague. But then that is the case with a lot of cat conditions! Please let me know if you have more questions.

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10304 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6357 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4860 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (11889 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (111337 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (6044 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (19057 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (17787 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (5220 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (8834 views)