Cat is eating less and vomiting.

Breed: DSH
Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he has started not to finish his food (leaving a tablespoon or so) and once a week or so vomits after eating (even though he is eating slowly. I am quite worried as my last cat died from (I can't remember the term, something like stomach cancer) with the same type of symptoms. He seems to be acting normally otherwise and has normal bowel and bladder function.

Thank you.

Thanks for your question. This is a tough question to answer because it is hard to say whether or not you need to be worried.

Any time that a cat is eating less food than normal, I get a little bit concerned that something could be going on. But what that "something" is is hard to pin down. It could be that there is a dental problem, a kidney problem, a liver problem, or even an infection of some sort. Is the food a new batch? If so, it's possible that the company has changed their formula and he doesn't like the taste as much.

Does Bernie tend to eat things he shouldn't? Occasional vomiting and reduced appetite could be a sign of a foreign object in the stomach.

Vomiting once a week is not usually something I get too worried about. Most cats will vomit occasionally. If it was happening several times per day I would be more concerned. However, if Bernie never used to vomit and now he vomits once a week it could be a sign of a mild illness.

Ideally it would be a good idea to have your vet do a good physical exam on Bernie and some bloodwork to see if there is evidence of any sort of infection or organ condition.

I likely haven't answered your question fully as the symptoms are quite vague. But then that is the case with a lot of cat conditions! Please let me know if you have more questions.

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (14035 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (47570 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (10695 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (4837 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (11496 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (9457 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (36367 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (4527 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (23029 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (15383 views)