ibuprofen for arthritis?

Breed: german shepard- husk
my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest, she starts to limp. sometimes goes on for hours, sometimes goes away and I think that she is ok but later the limping returns.
can I safely give her ibprophen for the swelling and pain?
If not what can I do? or if ok what else can I do to help her?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having these problems.

Unfortunatley ibuprofen is very hard on a dog's kidneys and so it is not recommend it.

By far the best medicines for arthritis pain are the prescription ones like Metacam, Rimadyl or Previcox. They are generally safe and work well but you need to get them from your vet.

For some cases I will recommend aspirin for short term use. Your dog may be able to have 1 to 2 aspirin once a day, but I don't recommend it for long term use as aspirin can lead to stomach ulceration and other issues.

I'd highly advise you to have your vet take a look at your girl and advise the best medicine.

I am just heading offline now, but if you have more concerns let me know and I will respond when I am next online.

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (9563 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (161749 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (25741 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (7127 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8449 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (36787 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (5107 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (6256 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (39491 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (12806 views)