ibuprofen for arthritis?

Breed: german shepard- husk
my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest, she starts to limp. sometimes goes on for hours, sometimes goes away and I think that she is ok but later the limping returns.
can I safely give her ibprophen for the swelling and pain?
If not what can I do? or if ok what else can I do to help her?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having these problems.

Unfortunatley ibuprofen is very hard on a dog's kidneys and so it is not recommend it.

By far the best medicines for arthritis pain are the prescription ones like Metacam, Rimadyl or Previcox. They are generally safe and work well but you need to get them from your vet.

For some cases I will recommend aspirin for short term use. Your dog may be able to have 1 to 2 aspirin once a day, but I don't recommend it for long term use as aspirin can lead to stomach ulceration and other issues.

I'd highly advise you to have your vet take a look at your girl and advise the best medicine.

I am just heading offline now, but if you have more concerns let me know and I will respond when I am next online.

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4654 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (36469 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (9635 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4772 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (12937 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (16595 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7539 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (15289 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (8119 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (14072 views)