ibuprofen for arthritis?

Breed: german shepard- husk
my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest, she starts to limp. sometimes goes on for hours, sometimes goes away and I think that she is ok but later the limping returns.
can I safely give her ibprophen for the swelling and pain?
If not what can I do? or if ok what else can I do to help her?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having these problems.

Unfortunatley ibuprofen is very hard on a dog's kidneys and so it is not recommend it.

By far the best medicines for arthritis pain are the prescription ones like Metacam, Rimadyl or Previcox. They are generally safe and work well but you need to get them from your vet.

For some cases I will recommend aspirin for short term use. Your dog may be able to have 1 to 2 aspirin once a day, but I don't recommend it for long term use as aspirin can lead to stomach ulceration and other issues.

I'd highly advise you to have your vet take a look at your girl and advise the best medicine.

I am just heading offline now, but if you have more concerns let me know and I will respond when I am next online.

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (11786 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (9050 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (10487 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (10575 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (8202 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (9355 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (12635 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (20125 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (25903 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (20595 views)