ibuprofen for arthritis?

Breed: german shepard- husk
my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest, she starts to limp. sometimes goes on for hours, sometimes goes away and I think that she is ok but later the limping returns.
can I safely give her ibprophen for the swelling and pain?
If not what can I do? or if ok what else can I do to help her?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having these problems.

Unfortunatley ibuprofen is very hard on a dog's kidneys and so it is not recommend it.

By far the best medicines for arthritis pain are the prescription ones like Metacam, Rimadyl or Previcox. They are generally safe and work well but you need to get them from your vet.

For some cases I will recommend aspirin for short term use. Your dog may be able to have 1 to 2 aspirin once a day, but I don't recommend it for long term use as aspirin can lead to stomach ulceration and other issues.

I'd highly advise you to have your vet take a look at your girl and advise the best medicine.

I am just heading offline now, but if you have more concerns let me know and I will respond when I am next online.

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (13682 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (8196 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (15080 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (10542 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (16165 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (21235 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (15689 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4711 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (15409 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (8307 views)