ibuprofen for arthritis?

Breed: german shepard- husk
my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest, she starts to limp. sometimes goes on for hours, sometimes goes away and I think that she is ok but later the limping returns.
can I safely give her ibprophen for the swelling and pain?
If not what can I do? or if ok what else can I do to help her?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having these problems.

Unfortunatley ibuprofen is very hard on a dog's kidneys and so it is not recommend it.

By far the best medicines for arthritis pain are the prescription ones like Metacam, Rimadyl or Previcox. They are generally safe and work well but you need to get them from your vet.

For some cases I will recommend aspirin for short term use. Your dog may be able to have 1 to 2 aspirin once a day, but I don't recommend it for long term use as aspirin can lead to stomach ulceration and other issues.

I'd highly advise you to have your vet take a look at your girl and advise the best medicine.

I am just heading offline now, but if you have more concerns let me know and I will respond when I am next online.

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (13710 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (13366 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (9908 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (43245 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (58590 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (22499 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (10826 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (26523 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (27432 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (12120 views)