Benadryl for thunderstorms?

Breed: chihuahua
My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart beating really fast. Can I give her Benadryl to calm her down and how much? She weighs 7 pounds.

I'm sorry to hear that Bella is not doing well with thunderstorms. Some dogs can get terribly upset with thunderstorms and we don't really know why.

There is definitely no harm in giving Benadryl, although it may not do too much. While some dogs get a little bit sedated with Benadryl it is usually not a lot of sedation. If you wanted to give Benadryl though, the dose is 1-2mg per pound. It usually comes in a 25mg strength so for a 7 pound dog I would likely give 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablet.

I'd like you to read this question that was asked of me last year:

Can Melatonin be used for thunderstorm anxiety?

This person asked me about using melatonin for helping her dog with thunderstorm anxiety. I had not heard of doing this but did some research for you in some veterinary behavior archives that I had access to. If you read to the end of the question you'll see that it worked really well for her dog. I have since then been recommending it for some of my clients and I think that it is a good solution. You'll also read in the link above about other medications that can be prescribed.

If you do use the melatonin I'd love to hear back from you on how it worked!

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (10091 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (10776 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (9998 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (14000 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (83784 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (20784 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (19092 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (16833 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (10761 views)

Not chewing his food. I noticed he isn't chewing his dog food lately. He has always chewed before. I think... (7360 views)