Benadryl for thunderstorms?

Breed: chihuahua
My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart beating really fast. Can I give her Benadryl to calm her down and how much? She weighs 7 pounds.

I'm sorry to hear that Bella is not doing well with thunderstorms. Some dogs can get terribly upset with thunderstorms and we don't really know why.

There is definitely no harm in giving Benadryl, although it may not do too much. While some dogs get a little bit sedated with Benadryl it is usually not a lot of sedation. If you wanted to give Benadryl though, the dose is 1-2mg per pound. It usually comes in a 25mg strength so for a 7 pound dog I would likely give 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablet.

I'd like you to read this question that was asked of me last year:

Can Melatonin be used for thunderstorm anxiety?

This person asked me about using melatonin for helping her dog with thunderstorm anxiety. I had not heard of doing this but did some research for you in some veterinary behavior archives that I had access to. If you read to the end of the question you'll see that it worked really well for her dog. I have since then been recommending it for some of my clients and I think that it is a good solution. You'll also read in the link above about other medications that can be prescribed.

If you do use the melatonin I'd love to hear back from you on how it worked!

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (13937 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (13097 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (10632 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (13180 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (9630 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (4559 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6303 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (16777 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8097 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (7599 views)