Benadryl for thunderstorms?

Breed: chihuahua
My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart beating really fast. Can I give her Benadryl to calm her down and how much? She weighs 7 pounds.

I'm sorry to hear that Bella is not doing well with thunderstorms. Some dogs can get terribly upset with thunderstorms and we don't really know why.

There is definitely no harm in giving Benadryl, although it may not do too much. While some dogs get a little bit sedated with Benadryl it is usually not a lot of sedation. If you wanted to give Benadryl though, the dose is 1-2mg per pound. It usually comes in a 25mg strength so for a 7 pound dog I would likely give 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablet.

I'd like you to read this question that was asked of me last year:

Can Melatonin be used for thunderstorm anxiety?

This person asked me about using melatonin for helping her dog with thunderstorm anxiety. I had not heard of doing this but did some research for you in some veterinary behavior archives that I had access to. If you read to the end of the question you'll see that it worked really well for her dog. I have since then been recommending it for some of my clients and I think that it is a good solution. You'll also read in the link above about other medications that can be prescribed.

If you do use the melatonin I'd love to hear back from you on how it worked!

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (12009 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (8772 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (10054 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (19968 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (13059 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (40329 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (6553 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (44966 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (10772 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (5822 views)