Benadryl for thunderstorms?

Breed: chihuahua
My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart beating really fast. Can I give her Benadryl to calm her down and how much? She weighs 7 pounds.

I'm sorry to hear that Bella is not doing well with thunderstorms. Some dogs can get terribly upset with thunderstorms and we don't really know why.

There is definitely no harm in giving Benadryl, although it may not do too much. While some dogs get a little bit sedated with Benadryl it is usually not a lot of sedation. If you wanted to give Benadryl though, the dose is 1-2mg per pound. It usually comes in a 25mg strength so for a 7 pound dog I would likely give 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablet.

I'd like you to read this question that was asked of me last year:

Can Melatonin be used for thunderstorm anxiety?

This person asked me about using melatonin for helping her dog with thunderstorm anxiety. I had not heard of doing this but did some research for you in some veterinary behavior archives that I had access to. If you read to the end of the question you'll see that it worked really well for her dog. I have since then been recommending it for some of my clients and I think that it is a good solution. You'll also read in the link above about other medications that can be prescribed.

If you do use the melatonin I'd love to hear back from you on how it worked!

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (14483 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (6970 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (26939 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (7862 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (17647 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (9388 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (19914 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (5406 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (27920 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (9344 views)