IVDD and swimming.

Breed: American Bulldog
My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk still, sometimes quite well. other times- she falls down often or cannot get back up. She can be very wobbly. What is strange is that whenever she goes swimming in the bay- her neurological issues are much WORSE when she gets out. She can barely walk for about an hour. What helps is rest and rubbing both her legs. Everything I read on line says swimming is GOOD for dogs with IVDD. I cannot find any information on why this would happen. Do you have an idea? thank you, Kathy

I'm sorry to hear about Lucille's issues. My guess about the swimming is that whatever muscle activity needs to be used for her to swim must aggravate her back issues. For most animals with joint issues, swimming is a good activity because they can be active without putting gravitational forces on their sore joints. But, it sounds like Lucille's case is different.

From what you have described I would not recommend persisting with the swimming.

I don't have an exact answer for you as to what is going on but I really think it is just related to her having to use particular muscles when she swims.

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (23972 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (13091 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (23432 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (17855 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (6996 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (8771 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (62623 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (10376 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (9716 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (9286 views)