IVDD and swimming.

Breed: American Bulldog
My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk still, sometimes quite well. other times- she falls down often or cannot get back up. She can be very wobbly. What is strange is that whenever she goes swimming in the bay- her neurological issues are much WORSE when she gets out. She can barely walk for about an hour. What helps is rest and rubbing both her legs. Everything I read on line says swimming is GOOD for dogs with IVDD. I cannot find any information on why this would happen. Do you have an idea? thank you, Kathy

I'm sorry to hear about Lucille's issues. My guess about the swimming is that whatever muscle activity needs to be used for her to swim must aggravate her back issues. For most animals with joint issues, swimming is a good activity because they can be active without putting gravitational forces on their sore joints. But, it sounds like Lucille's case is different.

From what you have described I would not recommend persisting with the swimming.

I don't have an exact answer for you as to what is going on but I really think it is just related to her having to use particular muscles when she swims.

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (7146 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (17881 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (8641 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (29591 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (14630 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (24086 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (11845 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (13767 views)

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (68174 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (55353 views)