IVDD and swimming.

Breed: American Bulldog
My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk still, sometimes quite well. other times- she falls down often or cannot get back up. She can be very wobbly. What is strange is that whenever she goes swimming in the bay- her neurological issues are much WORSE when she gets out. She can barely walk for about an hour. What helps is rest and rubbing both her legs. Everything I read on line says swimming is GOOD for dogs with IVDD. I cannot find any information on why this would happen. Do you have an idea? thank you, Kathy

I'm sorry to hear about Lucille's issues. My guess about the swimming is that whatever muscle activity needs to be used for her to swim must aggravate her back issues. For most animals with joint issues, swimming is a good activity because they can be active without putting gravitational forces on their sore joints. But, it sounds like Lucille's case is different.

From what you have described I would not recommend persisting with the swimming.

I don't have an exact answer for you as to what is going on but I really think it is just related to her having to use particular muscles when she swims.

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (13839 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (7171 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (19279 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (18682 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (16626 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (13412 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (44842 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (8231 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (9725 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (15698 views)