IVDD and swimming.

Breed: American Bulldog
My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk still, sometimes quite well. other times- she falls down often or cannot get back up. She can be very wobbly. What is strange is that whenever she goes swimming in the bay- her neurological issues are much WORSE when she gets out. She can barely walk for about an hour. What helps is rest and rubbing both her legs. Everything I read on line says swimming is GOOD for dogs with IVDD. I cannot find any information on why this would happen. Do you have an idea? thank you, Kathy

I'm sorry to hear about Lucille's issues. My guess about the swimming is that whatever muscle activity needs to be used for her to swim must aggravate her back issues. For most animals with joint issues, swimming is a good activity because they can be active without putting gravitational forces on their sore joints. But, it sounds like Lucille's case is different.

From what you have described I would not recommend persisting with the swimming.

I don't have an exact answer for you as to what is going on but I really think it is just related to her having to use particular muscles when she swims.

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (14754 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (7884 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (10707 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (15896 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (7578 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (18063 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (12362 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (6812 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (25820 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (46847 views)