Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Bathed dog in gasoline.

Species: Dog
Breed: shihtzu
Age: 6-12 months
my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for about a week, my sister bathed ashley with gasoline,thinking that it would kill the fleas.ashley's skin turned red and after 3 days,she was very weak and her armpits were secreting pus.we were able to cure the infected areas by applying topical antibiotics(mupirocin) and betadine.but now,a lot of hair is falling after the skin healed, and the skin's turning gray with black patches.her armpits,belly, legs, back and neck are the affected areas.please help me find a solution for this matter because im afraid that ashley wont be able to grow her hair again.she's pretty much healthy and energetic now, except for her hair.thank you.
Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Bathing a dog with gasoline is something that could be considered animal cruelty. Gasoline can cause chemical burns to the body. If a dog ingests it it can cause serious problems with the gastrointestinal tract and if it is inhaled it can cause life threatening problems with the lungs.

Please take this dog to see a vet right away.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (12156 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (15614 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (16713 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (6897 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (14565 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (32404 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (17178 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (14180 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11158 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (25802 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.